How to make a "swirl" chip & dip

I've seen many one piece chip and dip bowls online that look like you slice the clay after the bowl is formed to then make the dip part. It's been referred to as a swirl chip and dip. Does anyone know how to make this... or has seen a tutorial online??

Thanks!!

Margie

One of the more fiddly and labour intensive things I make, took me several practices to get them figured out. This is how I make them, I'm sure there are other ways too.

• throw a flat bottom bowl, 4 lbs for a shallow “Swirl” and 5+ for a deeper one. (even thickness walls since the cut wall won’t get trimmed at all)
  • when soft leather hard cut a spiral through the wall, starting from about 1/2” from the bottom going up to the rim
  • trim the “tail’ off the cut rim to the depth of the shallow end of what you want the inner “cup” to be
  • form the inner “cup” part into a circle, or oval or whatever, and attach the clay wall to the base
  • add a coil to the inside where the tall part of the wall attaches to the base and blend the coil in
  • when stiff leather hard round over the cut edges and trim base

24 minutes ago, Min said:

One of the more fiddly and labour intensive things I make, took me several practices to get them figured out. This is how I make them, I'm sure there are other ways too.

• throw a flat bottom bowl, 4 lbs for a shallow “Swirl” and 5+ for a deeper one. (even thickness walls since the cut wall won’t get trimmed at all)
  • when soft leather hard cut a spiral through the wall, starting from about 1/2” from the bottom going up to the rim
  • trim the “tail’ off the cut rim to the depth of the shallow end of what you want the inner “cup” to be
  • form the inner “cup” part into a circle, or oval or whatever, and attach the clay wall to the base
  • add a coil to the inside where the tall part of the wall attaches to the base and blend the coil in
  • when stiff leather hard round over the cut edges and trim base

Any chance we can get some pictures of the process?

I'm a visual learner... Go figure...

13 hours ago, LeeU said:

Gee--some of my ill-fated efforts at serious throwing end up sort of looking like a swirly chip & dip,  just before they fly off the wheel head onto the pan walls. 

It is a comfort to know someone else occasionally has something fly off the wheel head.

On 8/28/2018 at 9:13 AM, Gabby said:

It is a comfort to know someone else occasionally has something fly off the wheel head.

Some of my classroom bats are wearing out.  I've had plenty of students get their water container knocked over, by a runaway bat, with clay attached.  It got so common, I started giving a warning about it.  I bought new bats this year...

3 minutes ago, Benzine said:

Some of my classroom bats are wearing out.  I've had plenty of students get their water container knocked over, by a runaway bat, with clay attached.  It got so common, I started giving a warning about it.  I bought new bats this year...

Now that I have never seen- a runaway bat!

11 hours ago, Gabby said:

Now that I have never seen- a runaway bat!

It's kind of funny, and if it happened to me, I would definitely think so.  It's less funny, with beginning students, who are frustrated by the new process to begin with.  They generally still laugh at it, after the fact.

I'm more frustrated that the bats did warp and wear as they did, because they were supposedly, not supposed to do so.   We'll see how the new ones hold up.  

On 8/29/2018 at 12:08 PM, Rae Reich said:

Didn't know it's name, @Min, but I have always admired the clean swirl of your avatar. I suspect the best trick is the cutting from bottom to rim so the "tail" doesn't flop around and you can release it with control. Very nice!

Thanks Rae! I just call it a Swirl, I think that calling it a chip n'dip dates it and makes it a bit of a one purpose pot.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:50 PM, Benzine said:

Any chance we can get some pictures of the process?

Here you go...

This one started with 5 lbs of clay, med sized Swirl. 

Throw a flat bottom bowl, even wall thickness, nothing to trim where the base and wall meet.

IMG_2554.jpg.294fac32ebf51da5eabed579a41c827b.jpg

Let it set up so the rim is soft leatherhard and mark out the spiral with the wheel on. (vertical line is approx where the tail gets cut off)

IMG_2558.jpg.bedbf80f9a89c9a078f6f6d0d51ca343.jpg

Cut along the lines, bevel cut and score the cut end of the tail.

IMG_2559.jpg.62a433f8de7fdc06a51fb279684a4304.jpg

Form the cup, and attach it to the base. Use whatever method of joining works for your clay, slip/score, slip, water, magic water etc.

IMG_2562.jpg.1f0a17b1d6c750d6b5189f5b0b6d8477.jpg

Fill the gap with a coil and blend in. Smooth over the cut edges.

IMG_2569.jpg.289deff6fab1808893ff978868a261e7.jpg

At this point the pot is still attached to the batt. When it's firm leatherhard put it on a chuck and trim the base. 

7 hours ago, Joseph Fireborn said:

Min I am curious how much you sell those for? That sounds like a ton of labor. It is absolutely beautiful though. I imagine 100+?

Not quite that much,  want to sell them for me? ;) 

If anyone else makes one of these I would love to see your version of it. Take the method I showed and turn it into your own style by changing the bowl profile, shape of the cup, placement of the cup, length of the inner swirl part etc. It's always nice when people come back and post their results!

19 hours ago, Min said:

Thanks Rae! I just call it a Swirl, I think that calling it a chip n'dip dates it and makes it a bit of a one purpose pot.

I appreciate your not wanting to sound dated, but customers usually want to have an idea of function (and I admit to seeing your avatar as a purely sculptural piece, having no idea of the scale) :)   The term may be "old", but everyone still eats chips and dips. That said, perhaps a Swirl Snacker?? Swirl Server?? I'd fill mine with caviar, lemon wedges and blini! Dim sum and dipping sauce! Drawn butter and langustino! Even chips and dip! :D 

Archived