YouTube!

"What a fascinating modern age we live in."

-Captain Jack Aubrey from "Master and Commander" screenplay, pondering the Acheron's hull (wood sailing ship) design.

Since becoming fascinated with the clay, my typical week includes watching several YouTube clips: I like the Goldmark ones, Hsinchuen Lin, Bill VG, many many others. Each does some things slightly different. I'm still very much in a "learn by making mistakes" phase; I circle back to YouTube to see how the masters are avoiding the mistake(s) I just made. Seeing new (to me) things to try is big; I'm working on emulating Mr. Lin's hacksaw blade chattering tool results. The wheel has be moving, and the clay leathery-ness juuuust right.

I find DirtyPotter easy enough to listen to, and picked up a few things from him well. I like his perspective on wedging; between the lines, what I'm hearing is, if you don't notice the difference, then don't wedge, just use right out of the bag. He's not my fave, on the other hand, I don't mute him either. Like many, he points out there's more than one "way" - he shows his way.

ooooh, thanks for the link!

Carry on!

I think Simon can ramble on a bit for sure, so I understand the frustration with waiting for him to just get to the point already! But he gives solid technical information that's geared for beginners without imparting bad habits. If you can just get to the end of them.

I've seen a few clips from EarthNation, and I think he's definitely more entertaining, but his videos aren't as good from a technical standpoint.  There's no good reason to sponge anything that much.  You have better things to do with your time. But he's on a learning continuum, just like the rest of us, and newer videos will likely improve as he does.

No teacher is perfect, and as students, we need to seek the information that works for our own learning styles. The more sources of instruction we can access, the better.  

Does a winky smiley face infer sarcasm? That's certainly not what I intended. I feel my sense of humor is lost on certain individuals, and while that's too bad, I won't apologize either.

Dirty Potter is at least entertaining and I can watch five or six of his videos, and there's a lot and they're well-titled, etc , etc, and get at least twice the info from them that I can in the same time it takes to watch Simon walk across his studio. 

I’ve been throwing on the wheel for 2 1/2 years and I am done with YouTube.  You have to wade through so much chaff to get to the wheat.  YouTube is great for beginners (sorta) but not usually helpful for more complex forms. 

Plus the important info appears rarely. Critiques. 

I can handle Simon but not the Earth guy. 

I absolutely agree with Callie. I’ve learnt a little from all the videos I’ve watched.  

Now I just watch no words Asian videos where you can’t read anything.  One of them taught me an unique way of making curled lips. 

I saw a great video of Vietnamese potters - no wheel - and I kick myself to this day because I can’t find that video anymore.  I hadn’t marked the video and would love to revisit it   

I enjoy Goldmark. I love love love NCECA talks... so much to learn there.  Watch a lot of British potters. 

Actually I learn a lot from the potters themselves.  Warren Mackenzie. Robbin Hopper.  Many places put up their workshops, some of which taught me to break the rules   

Which is why next month I sign up for Clayflicks. Yeah!!!

Orchard Valley Ceramics   

oh yes Vimeo too.  

I meant to promote something slightly more entertaining than the typical. I love Youtube and learned most of what I know about ceramics from watching videos there, and I'm still picking up a ton of info weekly from it, and I'm not exactly a beginner, but I wouldn't say I'm a learned professional either, -yet.

For personal tastes, all I can say is we can't all be Salieri. :lol:

On 5/24/2018 at 4:42 PM, preeta said:

I saw a great video of Vietnamese potters - no wheel - and I kick myself to this day because I can’t find that video anymore.  I hadn’t marked the video and would love to revisit it   

Can you tell me what was in it, things you remember etc?  I browse YouTUbe a lot, but haven't watched any Vietnamese pottery videos.  I'm going to watch some and will keep an eye out for you.

So yappy you are not in a class setting? I am at a community college - adult school here - I have access to great profs and advanced students. And any demos I can get to.  Just looking at other pots, interacting with advanced students, but most important helping the beginners with throwing and surface has taught me so so much. Plus other art classes have improved my work.  

I wish on anyone my sweet situation (if you like people though). That is why YouTube is redundant to me.  But it’s a blessing to those who can’t get to studio or class. 

Loved Amadeus!!!

hantremmer- so sweet for asking.  Thank you.  A lush green background. Corner of a hut to the left.  Pots on pedestals and people going round the pedestal with a wooden ‘slapper’ (Sorry old mind don’t remember correct terminology) slapping the pots.  

I haven’t yet tried the Tibetian bisque pieces in greenware.  I think the raw clay is red and reduced and the white bisque ‘beads’ stay white.  

I learned buncheong from Icheon potters on YouTube and hakime also.  Coiled decoration from Benin who inspires my face pots.  

Ya know I love to watch Simon Leach video's because it gets me in the mood. I think from the beginning he has pushed to simply let you be part of his journey. His personality flows with his instruction so to speak.  Watching him work gives me a sense of what being a potter these days is about. But I like backstory and watching one of today's masters work in real time is cool to me. 

On 5/31/2018 at 6:52 AM, preeta said:

So yappy you are not in a class setting? I am at a community college - adult school here - I have access to great profs and advanced students. And any demos I can get to.  Just looking at other pots, interacting with advanced students, but most important helping the beginners with throwing and surface has taught me so so much. Plus other art classes have improved my work.  

I wish on anyone my sweet situation (if you like people though). That is why YouTube is redundant to me.  But it’s a blessing to those who can’t get to studio or class. 

Loved Amadeus!!!

hantremmer- so sweet for asking.  Thank you.  A lush green background. Corner of a hut to the left.  Pots on pedestals and people going round the pedestal with a wooden ‘slapper’ (Sorry old mind don’t remember correct terminology) slapping the pots.  

I haven’t yet tried the Tibetian bisque pieces in greenware.  I think the raw clay is red and reduced and the white bisque ‘beads’ stay white.  

I learned buncheong from Icheon potters on YouTube and hakime also.  Coiled decoration from Benin who inspires my face pots.  

Preeta there is a community college nearby but each class is way more than I can afford. When I joined the CAD site I was enrolled in a class in another state but now my forum name is outdated. I'd be one of those ladies who perpetually takes the local pottery class if I had the money. 

Sorry Yappy.  We are so spoilt by the low fees in our Community Colleges (and if your income is low enough you are free) in California that I forget that is not true for the rest of the country. What I pay for a 3 unit semester is the same for a 2 day workshop here.  One of my favorite artist is here next month but I can’t afford her workshop.  

yappy, i do not know your age so if this is totally laughable, go ahead and laugh out loud.:D

some schools allow seniors to attend a class without being an actual student who gets a grade.  maybe you can find something like this.  i think it is called auditing the class, but the brain is on strike tonight.

this was written on saturday but i just found it again.  second one this week.

9 hours ago, oldlady said:

yappy, i do not know your age so if this is totally laughable, go ahead and laugh out loud.:D

some schools allow seniors to attend a class without being an actual student who gets a grade.  maybe you can find something like this.  i think it is called auditing the class, but the brain is on strike tonight.

this was written on saturday but i just found it again.  second one this week.

No I'm not a senior yet Oldlady, guess the Victorians would have called me a "woman of a certain age". 

This thread  has got me thinking about the community college class here this fall (TY Preeta & Oldlady) if it's handbuilding, I'm not forking over $300+ bucks for one semester of wheel pottery instruction (again) that I'll never use. I love the classroom environment for the most part and operating in a vacuum (CAD forums excepted) is kinda depressing. Once I put some of my work around venues in town it might not seem quite so lonely being the solo ceramist. 

On 6/2/2018 at 2:36 PM, preeta said:

Sorry Yappy.  We are so spoilt by the low fees in our Community Colleges (and if your income is low enough you are free) in California that I forget that is not true for the rest of the country. What I pay for a 3 unit semester is the same for a 2 day workshop here.  One of my favorite artist is here next month but I can’t afford her workshop.  

:o> Intense envy!  If that was available to me I'd probably just move into the workroom and die there. 

looking at where you are on a map of oregon, i have to agree that you are on the very edge of nowhere.  could you manage to get away to a weeklong workshop done by one of your favorite handbuilders?    oregon is full of potters, surely there is one who would allow you to share a studio for a week so you can at least watch.   try putting an ad on the bulletin boards of all of the suppliers in the state.

59 minutes ago, oldlady said:

looking at where you are on a map of oregon, i have to agree that you are on the very edge of nowhere.  could you manage to get away to a weeklong workshop done by one of your favorite handbuilders?    oregon is full of potters, surely there is one who would allow you to share a studio for a week so you can at least watch.   try putting an ad on the bulletin boards of all of the suppliers in the state.

TY for the advice Oldlady, sounds like a blast I'll get right on that. 

Archived