• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

On the subject of "introductions".........

Don't forget that as a member of this Ceramic Arts Daily forum you can put information about yourself into your member profile and also include images in the gallery section.

If you are a Potters Council member... you can also get an Artist Portfolio listing set up.

best,

................john

John Baymore
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#22 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hi Buckeye, I'm Bev from Nebraska. Posted Image From your user name, I can tell you probably aren't a fan of my state right now. (Congrats on the win over Illinois though)
I'm 56 and pottery is how I keep myself sane. I carry the mail as a rural letter carrier to make a living. Hope to leave the USPS in a year or so and concentrate more on my pottery. I've had my hands in clay since high school. My dad made me a kick wheel back then, one I still use to trim with.

At present I show/sell my wares at regional Renaissance Faires for the most part. Stumbled onto the Renaissance Faire scene back in 1985. Seems to be a nice fit for the work I do. I do both functional and whimsical ware (dragons, gargoyles etc.)

Being brand new to the forum I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself, I hope its ok to post this here.

I am 35, live here in Ohio and got into pottery last year after doing a small workshop. I fell in love and soon had a brand new wheel. The workshop I took helped me with the basics and I couldnt tell you how many hours I have spent surfing the internet for articles or watching youtube videos. So far I have only worked in high fire stonewares and made functional pieces. I have made everything I have wanted to so far after a lot of reading, research and videos but of course I still find things on a regular basis that I want to try.

For me it is a hobby, passion and I must admit even an obsession! I find myself throwing pottery for long hours at a time and even day after day then I get burned out, concentrate on other stuff and come back to it when I am ready, even when I am taking a few days off though I am thinking about what I am going to throw next!

I would love to hear from others, how you got into this, if you do it for fun or do it for a living if you throw more functional or decorative pieces etc. anything! I want to hear it Posted Image

Bev, I am a huge OSU fan but its ok, I am not one of those crazy fans that holds a grudge against a state and its occupants Posted Image I would love to see some of your work. thanks for introducing yourself!

#23 Dancing Earth Creations

Dancing Earth Creations

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hi Buckeye and all,
I'm Karen from Santa Fe. In 1996 I took a class with my daughter at Santa Fe Clay and loved it but at that time wasn't able to commit to the time and expense to learn it. In 2003 after my youngest was out of school I decided to follow an old dream and went to college in Olympia, WA. While there I took a ceramic class to relieve the stress of reading and writing and that was that. I bought a Shimpo wheel and put it in my tiny kitchen. After graduating I came back to my old job in Santa Fe that paid enough to fund my ceramic addiction. I started classes again at Santa Fe Clay, went to workshops, and took classes at the community college which has a high fire soda kiln. Also read, read, read. This summer I bought an L&L electric kiln so I'm not taking classes while I experiment with cone 6 glazes. I'm really hooked on the soda kiln so will probably end up doing a combination of the two. I ship my pots to my daughter in PA to sell at a local shop in her area. I don't make much from them but I am relieved I don't have to spend time selling them. After working my day job, I'd rather be making pots.

Since I love to learn and try new things ceramics is perfect--never ending learning. Creating ceramics is often my way of dealing with a very stressful boss and job. Instead of obsessing about the situation, I think about a pot I want to make and how I could finish it. I try to carry a sketch book with me although a little difficult to do when I'm swimming and wondering how I could get the reflections I see in the water on a pot! I have made sculptural and functional ware and really like combining the two. The last couple of years I've focused on getting better on the wheel. I'm fortunate to live in a place with so many awesome potters and resources to continue learning. Also appreciate the help I've received from this forum. I like potters. :D

#24 Davic

Davic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:23 AM

name='buckeye'
Being brand new to the forum I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself, I hope its ok to post this here.

I would love to hear from others, how you got into this, if you do it for fun or do it for a living if you throw more functional or decorative pieces etc. anything! I want to hear it Posted Image

Hello Buckeye,
I got started about 10 years ago, it started by coincidence, I had no prior knowledge or interest in ceramics at all, but one day a lady friend of my wife had just hired a pottery wheel, she was in the very early learning stages and was having problems centering the clay, we were watching her as she tried to give us a demo, she gave up and said to me you have a go and see what you think of it, I did manage it after a few attempts, it was only about 2 pound of clay, anyway I did manage a crude small pot, after that is started to interest me to the point where I hired a wheel also and found it very fascinating, enough then to buy my own wheel, mainly used terracotta clay, making Vases, urns, garden type pots etc, sold a few through a shop, but got frustrated with not having my own kiln, the community centre where I took my pottery for firing made errors, like opening the kiln too quick after firing, other peoples items exploding and taking mine with them, so I built my own kiln LPG gas fired, I actually gave it up after about 2 years, which is now 8 years ago, I finished up donating around 100 pieces to the Animal welfare society for them to sell through their shop, I simply ran out of room, it's ok making them but you either need to sell or donate, it doesn't take too long to run out of room, most of these items were thrown from 8 to 12 pounds of clay, I couldn't do that size at this stage, I've lost the touch, so I'll start smaller again and get bigger as I get the feel of the clay again, and as you now know I have made a late come back re- my first post and introduction on this forum.

#25 Dancing Earth Creations

Dancing Earth Creations

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

but got frustrated with not having my own kiln, the community centre where I took my pottery for firing made errors, like opening the kiln too quick after firing, other peoples items exploding and taking mine with them, so I built my own kiln LPG gas fired, I actually gave it up after about 2 years, which is now 8 years ago, I finished up donating around 100 pieces to the Animal welfare society for them to sell through their shop, I simply ran out of room, it's ok making them but you either need to sell or donate, it doesn't take too long to run out of room

Can relate to these frustrations! I love the soda kiln at the community college but also got frustrated for these same reasons. I wish I could build my own soda kiln but it's not feasible where I live. I also wouldn't want to do all the work of it myself since I have limited time to make pots. Maybe someday when I retire.

my daughter's workplace closed so the past 9 months I didn't have anywhere to sell my pots. I was trying to talk myself into going to a flea market to sell them but then she found two other places that wanted to sell them so I just shipped her 5 boxes and sent two boxes to family. Now I have room to make more.

#26 Benhim

Benhim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground Washington

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:18 AM

My name is Ben and I'm from Portland OR, now living in WA where life seems a bit better these days. I've been making pots since my first experience with clay at 6 years of age. I took my first after school class in pottery at the Mt Scott Community Center. Since then I have done many different types of pottery including anagama wood firings, salt/soda, big down draft gas, updraft gas, electric at many temperatures including macro crystalline. I've been privileged to have many good potters in my area and many good instructors. I'm currently working in cone 1 - 6 electric and trying to scrape up the last of the funds I need to complete a large vegetable oil fired, fiber envelope kiln. Then I will do cone 1 - 6 reduction as well as 1 - 6 electric oxidation and crystalline.

BenCo Ceramics

#27 WUVIE

WUVIE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationNortheastern Oklahoma

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hello Buckeye and others!

Buckeye was the first person to respond very kindly to my first post on the forum. Thank you!

I'm 46, originally from New York, I've lived all over the map, and finally settled in Northeastern Oklahoma
with my husband, many furry children, and two grown sons and a stepdaughter who have left
the nest.

My first pottery project was at a very young age, though I'm certain many of us remember our
childhood creations in grade school. Mine was a handmade ashtray with a little man to hold my
father's cigarette. Years later, I created a head, likely around the 8th grade. I've always loved clay,
played in polymer for a while, but nothing extensive.

My kiln experience has mainly been with glass, having fallen in love with all things 'Mother Earth News',
including an old ad from Judy Sizemore about making wind chimes out of wine bottles that have been sliced.
I tinker around making miscellaneous craft items and very much enjoy firing glass in the kiln.

A few years ago I found some rather unique stoneware coffee cups at a shop in Eureka Springs, and
I was hooked. Why couldn't I do this, I asked. Over the past few years, I've gathered a few supplies here
and there, but never thought seriously about ceramics until I found what turned out to be knee pots at
a craft fair. That was all it took. I was so intrigued that someone had taken something so simple as a piece
of clay pressed to one's knee (Aborigines have done this for quite some time) and turned it into a usable
piece of art. This is where I will begin. Knee pots. With my own twist.

Thanks for listening. Looking forward to establishing relationships with all of you.

Karen Marie :)
It is better to find glory in one's own merit. In fact it is more important to have self-respect than to gain respect from others,
and it is better to earn glory than to publicize it. - Madeleine de Scudéry (1607-1701)

“People of uncommon abilities generally fall into eccentricities when their sphere of life is not adequate to their abilities.”
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#28 EarthnElements

EarthnElements

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

I just found this site and forums last night, good to "meet you" everyone. My name is Kathi my biz name is Earth N Elements Pottery and I started working with clay about 5 years ago. Love it. I work part time outside the home and spend as much of my remaining time as possible making pottery. I work in midrange temps (cone 5-6), and love making and testing new glazes. Every time we open the kiln after a glaze fire is like christmas isn't it? Bisque, eh, not so exciting.
I sell in local shops, wholesale to galleries in tourist areas, do some art fairs (although I find it physically exhausting to do so as I get older) and sell online. For those of you wishing to sell online but not wanting to have to set up your own website, you may want to try etsy. I have sold a lot of pieces through etsy and it is a good time of year to start there, not to mention really quite inexpensive.

#29 Diana Ferreira

Diana Ferreira

opinionated ignoramus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:11 AM

Hi everyone! I am Diana, live in Cape Town, South Africa. 20 years ago I took evening pottery classes at a local college once a week. And loved it. But my life as a nurse got in the way, and I was young and itchy, lol. 4 years ago I met my love and at that time I got bored with making jewellery. We started to talk about incorporating glass beads (made by me) into ceramics. I wanted to ensure that my beads formed a functional part of the ware, and the rest is kinda history :-).

These days I slipcast, but is getting a wheel next month (I want to use it to cut plaster masters too) and will see if I can remember how to throw clay :-)

I had a shop for the last 2 years, but is closing it the end of this week. I will then be able to work with clay for 8 hours a day, in stead of the 3 - 4 hours at night. Thank goodness I am able to get orders in this uncertain economic climate. I am also preparing for 2 big Potter's markets in the next few weeks.
Diana
www.dianaferreiraceramics.com
https://www.facebook...70824173&type=3

#30 magi

magi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

I am 35, live here in Ohio and got into pottery last year after doing a small workshop. I fell in love and soon had a brand new wheel. The workshop I took helped me with the basics and I couldnt tell you how many hours I have spent surfing the internet for articles or watching youtube videos. So far I have only worked in high fire stonewares and made functional pieces. I have made everything I have wanted to so far after a lot of reading, research and videos but of course I still find things on a regular basis that I want to try.

For me it is a hobby, passion and I must admit even an obsession! I find myself throwing pottery for long hours at a time and even day after day then I get burned out, concentrate on other stuff and come back to it when I am ready, even when I am taking a few days off though I am thinking about what I am going to throw next!

#31 magi

magi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi, i am magi, just joined today, i have been into pottery for just over a year attending a class and now working at home on bits and pieces. Very new to it, very short on knowledge, and trying to upskill as fast as possible. I find that i just love to pot!, mainly coil work so far, owl, birdbath, various pots etc still at the very bottom of a big learning curve. Would love to exchange ideas etc with anyone who has the time and the patience for a newby! - mags

#32 buckeye

buckeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLancaster Ohio

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi, i am magi, just joined today, i have been into pottery for just over a year attending a class and now working at home on bits and pieces. Very new to it, very short on knowledge, and trying to upskill as fast as possible. I find that i just love to pot!, mainly coil work so far, owl, birdbath, various pots etc still at the very bottom of a big learning curve. Would love to exchange ideas etc with anyone who has the time and the patience for a newby! - mags

Magi there are a lot of patient, good and experienced people here. I havent been around for long and already so many have helped me with questions. Their are all levels of people here so I would tell anyone dont be emberrased to ask, there are others here in your shoes wether your brand new to it or been doing pottery all your life! Great forum and glad you joined us.

I am so glad to see people are still posting here on this thread and sharing about themselves!

#33 BadKatPottery

BadKatPottery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPeekskill New York

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

Hi everybody;

I just joined and saw this thread and thought I would pop by and say hi. My name is Gem, and I am a mudaholic...oops wrong thread LOL. I live in a condo in Peekskill New York and hopefully will be moving in 8 months to Maine to have property and finally stop living like a sardine. I am originally from Canada (Manitoba)....

I am self taught with a few community college classes thrown in for good measure, and a 2 and half year internship so that I could learn in the old way. I currently fire out of a local clay studio that has a wonderful vibe about it. I have a wheel and studio in my basement...which is beyond messy and needs to be cleaned LOL I prefer reduction firing because of the unknowing of how the glaze will come out. It is like christmas every time I open the kiln ...your never sure what you will get. LOL. I am currently trying to learn the chemistry of glazing..:(

I do mostly functional pottery with a twist LOL the twist being I love carvings, and double walled vessels are my passion.

I am not sure what else to say...oh and the name of my studio is BadKatPottery after the four fur babies who insist on rolling in the dry mud, sleeping in the wheel well, and think the spinning wheel is a fun ride.

That's about it for now LOL

#34 meisie

meisie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

I am in eastern Massachusetts and have been an art teacher since graduating from college. I have worked in both private and public schools in addition to teaching an occasional college class. Interestingly enough I went to a college that didn't have ceramics as part of it's teacher education classes. I first was exposed to ceramics in high school and I did lots and lots of hand building. I did some wheel work which I do remember I loved. In the past few years my children have all gotten out of the house or nearly so and I started taking classes at the local museum. The class was all wheel ceramics and I just fell in love with the process. After a few years of the class I began searching craigslist for a wheel. I found a woman who wanted to get rid of her wheel and kiln for a very reasonable price and it's just gone on from there. I have been lucky enough to sell enough pieces to keep me in clay and glazes. It's purely a hobby if I don't sell they are gifts. :-)

#35 Pam S

Pam S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:42 AM

Pam S here. I live in NC and work in psychiatric research as my day job. Community taught and got the bug really bad (15 years ago) along with my life long friend, Linda. We now have our own little studio in my home. We've acquired two wheels, one kick and one electric, a slab roller and a small kiln. We were fortunate enough to inherit a plethora of chemicals and formulas from a now defunct recreation center, thanks to our mentor. Amateurs at best, but we are trying... My motto is "Play Dirty"

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

#36 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

Hi,
I was an Industrial design major and took an elective in ceramics. That was 45 years ago.
Marcia

#37 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Hi,
I was an Industrial design major and took an elective in ceramics. That was 45 years ago.
Marcia

I had originally wanted to go into Industrial Design when in HS. How I got here was a long winding road. Seems back then on the east coast smaller towns/colleges not many understood what ID was. In the end the journey was great and happy I am!
Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#38 Alden

Alden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:48 AM

Hello everyone,
my name is Alden.I'm 25 years old.I just joined today to this forum community.I'm an architect.One of my friend tell me about this site.I seen some interesting threads and posts so I thought I would signup. Looking forward to learning and sharing from thecommunity.

#39 metal and mud

metal and mud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, New Mexico

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hello new friends--

This is my first post and I know it won't be my last because, reading the other posts, I realize I have been hooked, line and sinker and all, into clay. I just turned 60 (and didn't enjoy it). I live in the desert of Southern New Mexico. I'm a baby doctor by day, a full-time potter in my dreams. I'd always wanted to try clay, with the intent to make myself a set of stoneware dishes. My adult son, who learned to throw porcelain while in college, found an octagonal electric Paragon kiln for $100 and brought it to me. This was a year ago. I got it set up in my garage and decided to give home made pie dishes for Christmas last year. I made so many mistakes in both creating pieces and glazing them that it's pretty funny. Luckily my loved ones indulge me.

Since then I've taken classes at Ceramics Plus of New Mexico and have learned the basics. I entered some pieces in our regional State Fair this fall and won a blue ribbon for a vase that I put metal pieces on--hence my name metal and mud. My son makes the metal pieces; we etch them with salt and hydrogen peroxide. I'm envisioning tumblers that feature an etched strip of metal. I decided to sell my pieces (I can't keep them all!!) and actually sold a clay basket last weekend. I start selling at our Farmer's Market on the 17th. I hand build only and love to put texture in my pieces, and glaze them nice colors. I'm saving for a wheel and look forward to that. Sorry this was so long-winded, but now you know the most important things about me!

#40 smokin pots

smokin pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

A big hello to the new posters young and "older" alike. An architect and a baby doc., psychiatric researcher, mudaholic, nurse, students.
Should be some interesting post coming from this new group. Posted ImagePosted Image
Can't wait!
Juli
la paloma texas pottery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users