Introduction

Hi Trina--I hope I'm replying to you and not myself!! The term newbie is so Argg...lets see if this works, it is a little hard to figure this reply thing out. Firstly nice to hear back I agree newbie is a silly word... oh well. I am goin to atempt to post some pictures now!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Trina--I hope I'm replying to you and not myself!! The term newbie is so Argg...lets see if this works, it is a little hard to figure this reply thing out. Firstly nice to hear back I agree newbie is a silly word... oh well. I am goin to atempt to post some pictures now!

• 2 weeks later...

Being brand new to the forum I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself, I hope its ok to post this here.

I am 35, live here in Ohio and got into pottery last year after doing a small workshop. I fell in love and soon had a brand new wheel. The workshop I took helped me with the basics and I couldnt tell you how many hours I have spent surfing the internet for articles or watching youtube videos. So far I have only worked in high fire stonewares and made functional pieces. I have made everything I have wanted to so far after a lot of reading, research and videos but of course I still find things on a regular basis that I want to try.

For me it is a hobby, passion and I must admit even an obsession! I find myself throwing pottery for long hours at a time and even day after day then I get burned out, concentrate on other stuff and come back to it when I am ready, even when I am taking a few days off though I am thinking about what I am going to throw next!

I would love to hear from others, how you got into this, if you do it for fun or do it for a living if you throw more functional or decorative pieces etc. anything! I want to hear it rolleyes.gif

Hi Buckeye, I just joined today and have not uploaded a picture yet - but I thought I would give some introductory comments. I am an older person who has done pottery all my life as a profession and an art. I fell in love with passion to put it mildly and never looked back so it is almost 35 years now. In 2005 things began to fall apart and I could no longer make a living at shows or wholesale so after a brief while (I had to do something) I went back to school for mental health counseling preparing myself for art therapy.It has been a long hard road mingled with anguish over the loss of what I thought I would do forever. I continued to do a few shows as I could muster the booth fees - but the sales have never really come back. In total most clay sales pitched dramatically for most of my friends. A few remain out there who are a couple, I found, as the other can bring in income through another job. A person alone has an awful time making all the ends meet. I do not blame this on the enonomy, but rather on the endless imports so cheap and hard to resist for most people. We were not protected by tariffs as other countries do to safeguard their local artists. From some points of view I feel cheated in that way. But also the handmade movement flowed its course and there is nothing mysterious anymore and much of the public don't care. So out there if you see a wonderful pot from a potter who has been around for a while - buy it - because likely their pottery will close or go on half time. I have made all sorts of pottery - a lot of it functional - but have experimented with all kinds of stuff as well. We lived in South and East Africa for 12 years at one point so I have travelled and pioneered and spent much time in the UK as well. At one time I went to conferences anywhere I could afford. I miss that life but am thankful I was part of it for such a long time. I have experience, so please use my knowledge and ask questions as teaching is also not the option I thought it would be unless I do it for free. I live in North Florida now having abandoned my studio in upstate New York and am almost finished my Masters getting ready to begin internship in the summer. I may have met soime of you out there already in my travels. Hope you all have a happy next couple of weeks before the start of 2012.

Being brand new to the forum I thought I would take a minute to introduce myself, I hope its ok to post this here.

I am 35, live here in Ohio and got into pottery last year after doing a small workshop. I fell in love and soon had a brand new wheel. The workshop I took helped me with the basics and I couldnt tell you how many hours I have spent surfing the internet for articles or watching youtube videos. So far I have only worked in high fire stonewares and made functional pieces. I have made everything I have wanted to so far after a lot of reading, research and videos but of course I still find things on a regular basis that I want to try.

For me it is a hobby, passion and I must admit even an obsession! I find myself throwing pottery for long hours at a time and even day after day then I get burned out, concentrate on other stuff and come back to it when I am ready, even when I am taking a few days off though I am thinking about what I am going to throw next!

I would love to hear from others, how you got into this, if you do it for fun or do it for a living if you throw more functional or decorative pieces etc. anything! I want to hear it rolleyes.gif

Hi Buckeye, I just joined today and have not uploaded a picture yet - but I thought I would give some introductory comments. I am an older person who has done pottery all my life as a profession and an art. I fell in love with passion to put it mildly and never looked back so it is almost 35 years now. In 2005 things began to fall apart and I could no longer make a living at shows or wholesale so after a brief while (I had to do something) I went back to school for mental health counseling preparing myself for art therapy.It has been a long hard road mingled with anguish over the loss of what I thought I would do forever. I continued to do a few shows as I could muster the booth fees - but the sales have never really come back. In total most clay sales pitched dramatically for most of my friends. A few remain out there who are a couple, I found, as the other can bring in income through another job. A person alone has an awful time making all the ends meet. I do not blame this on the enonomy, but rather on the endless imports so cheap and hard to resist for most people. We were not protected by tariffs as other countries do to safeguard their local artists. From some points of view I feel cheated in that way. But also the handmade movement flowed its course and there is nothing mysterious anymore and much of the public don't care. So out there if you see a wonderful pot from a potter who has been around for a while - buy it - because likely their pottery will close or go on half time. I have made all sorts of pottery - a lot of it functional - but have experimented with all kinds of stuff as well. We lived in South and East Africa for 12 years at one point so I have travelled and pioneered and spent much time in the UK as well. At one time I went to conferences anywhere I could afford. I miss that life but am thankful I was part of it for such a long time. I have experience, so please use my knowledge and ask questions as teaching is also not the option I thought it would be unless I do it for free. I live in North Florida now having abandoned my studio in upstate New York and am almost finished my Masters getting ready to begin internship in the summer. I may have met soime of you out there already in my travels. Hope you all have a happy next couple of weeks before the start of 2012.

Glad to see you respond and so many others! Sorry to hear that you had to get out of it. I am really looking forward to seeing your posts and being able to feed off your wisdom!

Thanks to those responsible for this forum. It's always great to find a community of like-minded folks!

My wife and I are new to pottery and took our first non-credit class this past Summer @ a local college studio (as a therapy of sorts). Our 18 yr old also joined us for the summer class. We have since taken the Fall semester class (which was an int/advanced studio workshop) and just a few days ago...signed up for the Spring semester as well. (a Functional Sculpture/open studio class) Classes are one night a week (Wed) but we have use of the studio M/TuesPM/Th/F/S. The studio has 2 electric kilns and a large gas fired kiln outside that fire as needed. There is also a soda fire kiln but it doesn't appear anyone knows how to fire it/etc. Hopefully they will get it together and we will see it operate sometime before the Spring classes end.....but all-in-all we have quite a bit of equipment/etc available to learn on....and learn we are....

A bit of preface. I don't want to interject sadness into this forum.....but I also don't want to leave out the "why" of all of this....

We are both 53 and have been married for 30 years. Last Spring we lost our 21 year old in an accident and that tossed us into a surreal landscape of grief and anguish... We had signed up for the Summer pottery class before he passed...and while we didn't truly have the drive to create @ the time....we went ahead and started the sessions in June as a way to build upon our strength as a family unit of 3.

Neither of us (olders) had thrown on a wheel prior to these classes. Our son had a bit of exposure in high school Art class but it was minimal.

Most of the Summer was focused on familiarizing ourselves with the wheel and yes...with filling the recycle tubs full of spent/destroyed clay. I was able to make bowls the first night that i was proud of at the time..but you know how that goes..... I look at them now and they are so small/crude it's funny. Most have been shuffled off to relatives who are amazed we can do this at all....

Hopefully we can keep them interested in our creations. These flat-rate Postal boxes sure have come in handy...lemme tell ya. >>WE<< sure don't need all this stuff hangin' about! LOL.

I'm still a real hack on the wheel (IMO)....though I have been able to make a few nice bowls/etc along the way. However, one day I started to take notice of the clay-art/slab-construction others were also doing in the studio....and one night in class.....instead of wedging...I rolled out some nice slabs of clay and started playing with that.

BAM. HOOKED. The wheel was fun....but it was also very frustrating @ times. The slabs were a different story.....more therapeutic....more 3-d....more possibilities >outside< the shape of round.

The wheel also anchored me to the studio...whereas I found out that the slabs allowed me to work on (functional) creations a home as well. Can you tell where this is going? LOL.

We've since deemed all of this "OCD"... OBSSESSIVE CLAY DISORDER... After reading through the intro's here....I'm thinkin' many of you can relate to this designation!

Bottom line...I always wanted to try pottery and now I am incredibly hooked. My wife has the same fervor, but alas, someone has to bring home the dinero and she still does the work thing so she devotes less time to the craft than I do.....thus...the shelf always seems to be full of my latest creations/bent/focus....

I'm seriously giving thought to buying a kiln for the garage and taking this a bit farther...not into a business per se'....but to find a few decent outlets where I can possibly move a peice here and there and take advantage of the "resort" aspect this area (Colorado Ski country) has to offer and be able to continue on without my home appearing on the nexy episode of "Hoarders- Ceramics addictions revealed".

Seriously though....it brings me joy/solace/focus.....and the vacation from my thoughts is a priceless entity @ this time in my (our) lives.

Thanks for reading along. I look forward to tapping the knowledge-base here and sharing (learning) whatever I can

be well!

Thanks to those responsible for this forum. It's always great to find a community of like-minded folks!

My wife and I are new to pottery and took our first non-credit class this past Summer @ a local college studio (as a therapy of sorts). Our 18 yr old also joined us for the summer class. We have since taken the Fall semester class (which was an int/advanced studio workshop) and just a few days ago...signed up for the Spring semester as well. (a Functional Sculpture/open studio class) Classes are one night a week (Wed) but we have use of the studio M/TuesPM/Th/F/S. The studio has 2 electric kilns and a large gas fired kiln outside that fire as needed. There is also a soda fire kiln but it doesn't appear anyone knows how to fire it/etc. Hopefully they will get it together and we will see it operate sometime before the Spring classes end.....but all-in-all we have quite a bit of equipment/etc available to learn on....and learn we are....

A bit of preface. I don't want to interject sadness into this forum.....but I also don't want to leave out the "why" of all of this....

We are both 53 and have been married for 30 years. Last Spring we lost our 21 year old in an accident and that tossed us into a surreal landscape of grief and anguish... We had signed up for the Summer pottery class before he passed...and while we didn't truly have the drive to create @ the time....we went ahead and started the sessions in June as a way to build upon our strength as a family unit of 3.

Neither of us (olders) had thrown on a wheel prior to these classes. Our son had a bit of exposure in high school Art class but it was minimal.

Most of the Summer was focused on familiarizing ourselves with the wheel and yes...with filling the recycle tubs full of spent/destroyed clay. I was able to make bowls the first night that i was proud of at the time..but you know how that goes..... I look at them now and they are so small/crude it's funny. Most have been shuffled off to relatives who are amazed we can do this at all....

Hopefully we can keep them interested in our creations. These flat-rate Postal boxes sure have come in handy...lemme tell ya. >>WE<< sure don't need all this stuff hangin' about! LOL.

I'm still a real hack on the wheel (IMO)....though I have been able to make a few nice bowls/etc along the way. However, one day I started to take notice of the clay-art/slab-construction others were also doing in the studio....and one night in class.....instead of wedging...I rolled out some nice slabs of clay and started playing with that.

BAM. HOOKED. The wheel was fun....but it was also very frustrating @ times. The slabs were a different story.....more therapeutic....more 3-d....more possibilities >outside< the shape of round.

The wheel also anchored me to the studio...whereas I found out that the slabs allowed me to work on (functional) creations a home as well. Can you tell where this is going? LOL.

We've since deemed all of this "OCD"... OBSSESSIVE CLAY DISORDER... After reading through the intro's here....I'm thinkin' many of you can relate to this designation!

Bottom line...I always wanted to try pottery and now I am incredibly hooked. My wife has the same fervor, but alas, someone has to bring home the dinero and she still does the work thing so she devotes less time to the craft than I do.....thus...the shelf always seems to be full of my latest creations/bent/focus....

I'm seriously giving thought to buying a kiln for the garage and taking this a bit farther...not into a business per se'....but to find a few decent outlets where I can possibly move a peice here and there and take advantage of the "resort" aspect this area (Colorado Ski country) has to offer and be able to continue on without my home appearing on the nexy episode of "Hoarders- Ceramics addictions revealed".

Seriously though....it brings me joy/solace/focus.....and the vacation from my thoughts is a priceless entity @ this time in my (our) lives.

Thanks for reading along. I look forward to tapping the knowledge-base here and sharing (learning) whatever I can

be well!

Hi Trina--Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't check the post. A week has gone by, plus. I love your birds with nail legs!! They are so whimsical. The mosaic of the lily pads and fishes is very nice--how big is it? I have a similar project planned, one with large tiles carved to feature ginkgo leaves. I did a test plate and I like the way it turned out; haven't started to tackle something like your mosaic, or mural, or whatever it's called. Any pointers for me or others who would like to make a work like that? FYI, I took my pieces to our local Farmer's Market last Saturday and sold two little (2 inch) clay boxes. Only $20 in revenue, but it made me happy that someone liked my pieces enought to buy them. It also fueled my desire to go back. It's the Christmas Eve market this Saturday.

Hi Buckeye, my name is Charlotte and I am 68 years young. I began my journey with clay a year and a half ago when I took a ceramics class at Texas A&M University-Commerce as part of my curriculum for my BFA. Midway through the class I was so in love with clay that I switched my major focus from painting to ceramics and I have not looked back since. I am very fortunate to be studying under renowned ceramist, Barbara Frey. I love throwing on the wheel, hand-building and sculpting in clay. I have been fortunate to be able to attend the last 2 NCECA conferences and am looking forward to attending my third in Seattle this Spring. If you have the opportunity to attend I highly recommend the experience. When I graduate in May 2013 I plan on opening a small studio at my home in SE Oklahoma.

Charlotte

Hi Trina--Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't check the post. A week has gone by, plus. I love your birds with nail legs!! They are so whimsical. The mosaic of the lily pads and fishes is very nice--how big is it? I have a similar project planned, one with large tiles carved to feature ginkgo leaves. I did a test plate and I like the way it turned out; haven't started to tackle something like your mosaic, or mural, or whatever it's called. Any pointers for me or others who would like to make a work like that? FYI, I took my pieces to our local Farmer's Market last Saturday and sold two little (2 inch) clay boxes. Only $20 in revenue, but it made me happy that someone liked my pieces enought to buy them. It also fueled my desire to go back. It's the Christmas Eve market this Saturday.

Hey, Nice to hear from you. The gold fish pond is made with 12cm tiles and is high relief. It is more or less big enough to cover a side table to make a water feature in a dry area. I love making tiles the biggest tip I have is when you cut the tiles don't try moving them into postion until they are leathery hard and once you get working use a spray gun to keep everything moist. When I glazed them I first dipped them in the water colour glaze, wipped off the fish and lilly pads then used underglazes to paint the fish and pads then covered those with clear glaze. I think it gives the fish that nice translucent feeling of swimming particulary on the fins. I am currently working on an exhibition of what I call pods. One might interest you, it is called fire and is full of nails and wire. I have glazed it but am waiting for my kiln to get a bit fuller, and I have had the flue all this week so had to cancel work in the studio totally. I think it is great that you sold some work, it is always a kick, but remember if you are trying to become a professional potter (which I don't know) or just trying to support your hobby, Don't undercut your work ;) which I am sure is great!!! If you have any questions that I can answer I will happily do so.... Trina

Hello. My name is Meghan and I live in KY. I just graduated with my BFA in ceramics. I first got into ceramics when I took a class in it at my university. I left school for a time and then came back to finish up my degree. I own a wheel and just purchased a Skutt KM1027 kiln. I plan on having a studio in my garage and I'm in the process of getting that organized and making a work table, shelves, etc. I love doing a combination of wheel throwing and altering and handbuilding. I'm planning to work with earthenware for a while and fire to 04.

I love perusing the forums here, great community and good info!

Hi! My name is Cymen and I live in Chicago. I recently became interested in making Tiki mugs. As I like the school of hard knocks, I went out and got an old 120v kiln (Duncan "The Artist" ES-122) and started reading. I'm going to make molds out of plaster and slip cast the mugs with my family over Christmas. It is an ambitious schedule particularly in terms of drying time for the molds and slip clay so we'll see how it goes. The plan is to make the molds, make some castings, glaze them with Amaco velvets underglaze, fire the glazed greenware, and then put on a glossy coat of glaze and fire again. We've got an art teacher, an engineer and a BFA in the family so together we should be able to pull it off.

While reading about the specific things I need to do I came across a lot of other interesting things like making tiles and throwing clay. I'm interested in pursuing both of those topics later but for now I'm focused on the mugs!

Hello,

I'm shiro, I'm from the Midlands in the UK.

I did some ceramics in college, along with a general art course. Then after being a client at a mental health back to work project doing ceramics, I became the volunteer in charge of the ceramics part of the project after the lady who ran it retired.

Tho I have learned a lot during my time as a client, I'm winging it a lot now, but I'm enjoying learning lots about ceramics along the way.

At the workshop we do throwing, use push molds and slip molds and make slab pots. Recently we've had a go at making our own plaster molds with mixed results.

I hope to learn lots more at this forum and maybe pick the brains of you more experienced potters. :)

I am a ceramic artist living in Hawaii. I did ceramics in college and then got involved with life... work, children etc. at age 50 I enrolled in a ceramics program at a college in Chicago, worked there for three years, then moved to the Bay Area where I was in a guild for two years. While there, I got to work in salt firing and it is still my love, though I do not have a salt kiln here in Hawaii. We moved to Hawaii in 2009. I have a studio over looking the sea. I do high fire, mostly porcelain sculpted and hand built work. I do use the extruder often as well. I do miss working in a guild environment, but having my own studio and kiln is great. Getting materials is not so easy. I have to order clay one ton at a time and since there are no ceramics supply stores here, every thing has to be ordered and shipped from the mainland.

I am thinking of making a move to North Carolina (near Charlotte) in the upcoming year. So some changes may be in my future. biggrin.gif

How did those Tiki Mugs turn out? I would like to see pictures!

Hi! My name is Cymen and I live in Chicago. I recently became interested in making Tiki mugs. As I like the school of hard knocks, I went out and got an old 120v kiln (Duncan "The Artist" ES-122) and started reading. I'm going to make molds out of plaster and slip cast the mugs with my family over Christmas. It is an ambitious schedule particularly in terms of drying time for the molds and slip clay so we'll see how it goes. The plan is to make the molds, make some castings, glaze them with Amaco velvets underglaze, fire the glazed greenware, and then put on a glossy coat of glaze and fire again. We've got an art teacher, an engineer and a BFA in the family so together we should be able to pull it off.

While reading about the specific things I need to do I came across a lot of other interesting things like making tiles and throwing clay. I'm interested in pursuing both of those topics later but for now I'm focused on the mugs!

I am a ceramic artist living in Hawaii. I did ceramics in college and then got involved with life... work, children etc. at age 50 I enrolled in a ceramics program at a college in Chicago, worked there for three years, then moved to the Bay Area where I was in a guild for two years. While there, I got to work in salt firing and it is still my love, though I do not have a salt kiln here in Hawaii. We moved to Hawaii in 2009. I have a studio over looking the sea. I do high fire, mostly porcelain sculpted and hand built work. I do use the extruder often as well. I do miss working in a guild environment, but having my own studio and kiln is great. Getting materials is not so easy. I have to order clay one ton at a time and since there are no ceramics supply stores here, every thing has to be ordered and shipped from the mainland.

I am thinking of making a move to North Carolina (near Charlotte) in the upcoming year. So some changes may be in my future. biggrin.gif

Hi there, I really admire your work! Beautiful :) Trina

Hi Trina--Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I didn't check the post. A week has gone by, plus. I love your birds with nail legs!! They are so whimsical. The mosaic of the lily pads and fishes is very nice--how big is it? I have a similar project planned, one with large tiles carved to feature ginkgo leaves. I did a test plate and I like the way it turned out; haven't started to tackle something like your mosaic, or mural, or whatever it's called. Any pointers for me or others who would like to make a work like that? FYI, I took my pieces to our local Farme

r's Market last Saturday and sold two little (2 inch) clay boxes. Only $20 in revenue, but it made me happy that someone liked my pieces enought to buy them. It also fueled my desire to go back. It's the Christmas Eve market this Saturday.

Hey, Nice to hear from you. The gold fish pond is made with 12cm tiles and is high relief. It is more or less big enough to cover a side table to make a water feature in a dry area. I love making tiles the biggest tip I have is when you cut the tiles don't try moving them into postion until they are leathery hard and once you get working use a spray gun to keep everything moist. When I glazed them I first dipped them in the water colour glaze, wipped off the fish and lilly pads then used underglazes to paint the fish and pads then covered those with clear glaze. I think it gives the fish that nice translucent feeling of swimming particulary on the fins. I am currently working on an exhibition of what I call pods. One might interest you, it is called fire and is full of nails and wire. I have glazed it but am waiting for my kiln to get a bit fuller, and I have had the flue all this week so had to cancel work in the studio totally. I think it is great that you sold some work, it is always a kick, but remember if you are trying to become a professional potter (which I don't know) or just trying to support your hobby, Don't undercut your work ;) which I am sure is great!!! If you have any questions that I can answer I will happily do so.... Trina

Hi Trina--Sorry I didHin't reply sooner, but I didn't check the post. A week has gone by, plus. I love your birds with nail legs!! They are so whimsical. The mosaic of the lily pads and fishes is very nice--how big is it? I have a similar project planned, one with large tiles carved to feature ginkgo leaves. I did a test plate and I like the way it turned out; haven't started to tackle something like your mosaic, or mural, or whatever it's called. Any pointers for me or others who would like to make a work like that? FYI, I took my pieces to our local Farme

r's Market last Saturday and sold two little (2 inch) clay boxes. Only $20 in revenue, but it made me happy that someone liked my pieces enought to buy them. It also fueled my desire to go back. It's the Christmas Eve market this Saturday.

Trina--Sorry I've messed up our thread about tiles but my tablet isn't able to reply to your previous posts. Thanks for explaining the process used to make your lovely goldfish mural. I look forward to that project. I also appreciate your comment about undercutting. I feel all my pieces are just waiting for the right new owner to come along. I'm not looking to support myself in this clay business, but to help pay for my hobby and to keep my shelves cleared off. We had a big snow here in Southern New Mexico and I won't be selling tomorrow. Merry Christmas!

Hello All

My name is Amanda; I live in Winnipeg, Canada and I just joined this forum today. I have just recently developed an obsession with clay. I have taken a couple of wheel classes at the local art gallery, and I plan to take more classes until I can either join a studio or can set up a home studio, which is not likely, as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.

I discovered my passion for clay later in life, I am 45, and hope to pursue it full time when I retire from my day job. I am mostly interested in throwing, I am interested in Raku, I have participated in a couple of firings, those pieces were handbuilt. I wish that I had realized a passion for clay when I was in university, I hear some potters talk about what a great time they had at school, but that's done, I intend to keep on with this obsession that I am developing!

Hello All

My name is Amanda; I live in Winnipeg, Canada and I just joined this forum today. I have just recently developed an obsession with clay. I have taken a couple of wheel classes at the local art gallery, and I plan to take more classes until I can either join a studio or can set up a home studio, which is not likely, as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.

I discovered my passion for clay later in life, I am 45, and hope to pursue it full time when I retire from my day job. I am mostly interested in throwing, I am interested in Raku, I have participated in a couple of firings, those pieces were handbuilt. I wish that I had realized a passion for clay when I was in university, I hear some potters talk about what a great time they had at school, but that's done, I intend to keep on with this obsession that I am developing!

Hello All

hey cool i am canadian too, welcome to this site. Trina

Hello All

hey cool i am canadian too, welcome to this site. Trina

Archived