Community Challenge #4

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Evelyn,

I'm in the same boat you are with the hand surgery. Had the right hand repaired back in June and the left was done late November. Had thumb surgery on both, but this time they put a hard cast on. It's really difficult to do anything on the wheel and one hand wedging is really tedious. Looking forward to full recovery in about 2 months. Good luck with yours.

JohnnyK

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my entry, including my idea sketches and greenware piece.  I apologize, that they are upside down in the gallery.  When I uploaded them, they were correct, and the image program decided to flip them, and refuses to let me change them...

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/album/1087-hydria/

For the Hydria, I played off the name, and made it a "Hydra Hydria".  Weather or not the multiple handle vessel, and the multiple headed serpent have similar sounding names, for a reason, I couldn't find.  But I thought it worked well for the purpose of the project.

I have the pouring handle coming out of the top of the back, and then splitting into two, like the head was cut off.  Then, as with the myth, that head is replaced by two heads, which sprout out and wrap around the sides to create the lifting handles.  I added a tail along the foot to continue the theme.

As many suggested, I threw it in multiple pieces, two to be exact.  The handles are pulled, and the scale texture was rolled on.  The heads are hand molded, as are the spikes along the back.

I'm fairly happy with how it came out.  We'll see how I like it once it's dried.  I always like the looks of things, when they are at the leatherhard stage.

Here is my entry, including my idea sketches and greenware piece. I apologize, that they are upside down in the gallery. When I uploaded them, they were correct, and the image program decided to flip them, and refuses to let me change themm.

They're the right way up for me.........

Great interpretation, don't think I'd like it/them in my house tho.

Sorry to hear about the problem in the bisque.  Something like that, could very well happen with mine.

The only big issue I had so far, was that I had to remake the top portion.  The original neck, had a much more horizontal transition from the body portion.  So, when I was attaching the top to the bottom, it got weak.  So I cut it off and made another.  

Well.. I do not know if I will have this done in time for the end of this challenge but I will certainly give it a go. I have definitely used the Hydria as an inspiration as opposed to trying to make a replication..

I also am going to try to mark 2 things off of  my "to do" list with this one pice.. Community Challenge and Tea Pot..

These are my WIP pics.

Hydria Teapot

Built In Tea Cups

I cut the neck into two pieces and make 2 "tea cup" out of it. They stack back pretty well. I have a lid that will cover the tea area and the top of the neck so the whole thing will stack up..

Lots of fiddling with this one. I am pretty happy with it so far.

Looks like I will be spending my summer in Greece going through antique stores to find one. Then I can post a pic of it sitting on my wheel and say... AHA!!!!  The other choice would be to accept an attendance award. Problem being those who have read my posts and know I only make tiles and a limited amount of forms would then rat me out.

Glaze Nerd

Well.. I do not know if I will have this done in time for the end of this challenge but I will certainly give it a go. I have definitely used the Hydria as an inspiration as opposed to trying to make a replication..

Very nice :D you still have about a month. Finishes end of Jan.

Looks like I will be spending my summer in Greece going through antique stores to find one. Then I can post a pic of it sitting on my wheel and say... AHA!!!!  The other choice would be to accept an attendance award. Problem being those who have read my posts and know I only make tiles and a limited amount of forms would then rat me out.

Glaze Nerd

You may be a little past the deadline of Jan 31st :D

Follow this Topic = notification button.  Rather new to the forum, still learning. Spent a lot of time just going through some of the old threads, looking at members work. Will say there are some very talented people here. What I am glad to see: the experienced are willing to help and teach the newbies. People can bounce their ideas off of others without being made fun of. Reminds me of the 60's and communal living-- anyone remember those?

Glaze Nerd

Ok I'm in. This may not be glazed by the deadline but I'm posting anyways. So it begins. Still need to put handles and other embellishment on. I now feel I should have made it bigger after researching a little. The piece should be more bellied out. From the images on online I feel like these did not pour well judging from the rims I saw. Unless these were used to fill up a tub or something not a cup. I was going to work on some new forms for pitchers this year and this is a good start for 2016.

post-66695-0-67435600-1451698374_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-08784400-1451698376_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-67435600-1451698374_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-08784400-1451698376_thumb.jpg

Ok this looked better as a vase. I am not one to adorn my work, but I need to try and make stuff that is not smooth. I had a fun time making this piece. I tried to use the element of water for this piece with all the tear drop shapes. I do not have an art background so design, color, and all of those types of things are pretty foreign to me. I will post a picture when it is glazed and it will be even worse.

One day I hope to partner with someone who enjoys decorating and glazing thrown work but cant throw for anything. Then there may be hope for this potter.

post-66695-0-12128400-1451780276_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-82205100-1451780277_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-12128400-1451780276_thumb.jpg

post-66695-0-82205100-1451780277_thumb.jpg

Ok this looked better as a vase. I am not one to adorn my work, but I need to try and make stuff that is not smooth. I had a fun time making this piece. I tried to use the element of water for this piece with all the tear drop shapes. I do not have an art background so design, color, and all of those types of things are pretty foreign to me. I will post a picture when it is glazed and it will be even worse.

One day I hope to partner with someone who enjoys decorating and glazing thrown work but cant throw for anything. Then there may be hope for this potter.

I think you're being way too hard on yourself - that is a beautiful shape and I love the smooth finish and lovely defined handle. The raised parts look like rivets - this piece would look great with a rust style glaze that emphasizes it's 'age' as a hydria. Something like the look achieved by Sarah Dunstan in the October issue of Pottery Illustrated - she said she uses manganese dioxide and black iron oxide painted on then wiped off to give her pottery an aged metal look but not sure if that was just over the printing she did or the handles of the pots that were made to look like aged metal as the article didn't make that clear. Or maybe something like a 'worn aged copper' look with golds and greens like the Amaco Shinos (saw an ad with their colours in Pottery Illustrated as well). Just throwing ideas out there of glazes that will emphasize and 'sync' with those lovely rivets :)

Ok this looked better as a vase. I am not one to adorn my work, but I need to try and make stuff that is not smooth. I had a fun time making this piece. I tried to use the element of water for this piece with all the tear drop shapes. I do not have an art background so design, color, and all of those types of things are pretty foreign to me. I will post a picture when it is glazed and it will be even worse.

I love the shape of the vase and the main handle.  If you don't mind me saying (and I'm no artist either), the two side handles ........   look a bit stiff and square.

Looks great to me, and the adornments are excellent as well!

Paul, I'm looking forward to seeing your design come to life.

@Benzine - Here are progress images on the parts and the beginning of the assembly.  Without the footed-base, the container is approximately 18" tall.  With the base, it should be just under 24" (green).  With a bit of luck, I will have the assembly completed and the slip decorating started by Wednesday evening...then, it will be slowww drying before bisque.

Hydria Parts - Handle - Work-in-Progress

Hydria Parts in-Progress

Hydria Work-in-Progress

Archived