Cheap Heat Resistant Suit?

Mark C.

I checked out the heat resistant suits the Marc Ward sells and they are spendy.

I'm thinking about a low cost option to keep the kiln heat at bay.

Working on ideas that will protect me from wood /raku/ and high fire gas kiln heat.

Its got to have opening for neck and arms and cover well

still in the planning stage-I know that folks make pug mills from meat grinders and toasters into electric kilns so this should be a cake walk really.

Now that I have a working wearable above head raku kiln I'm in a brain storming mood.

I've done a lot of metal work but metal can be heavy and it needs to be light.

I'll post a photo when I perfect it.

mark

Mark, not so much worried about heat from the kiln that might be affecting you but maybe too much heat from the sun.  It is okay to take a break and sip a cold one under the shade.

I had 1/2 a cold one last week and got a killer migraine so I'm back to thinking about my toaster  going to cone 10.

Mark

This is where a photo really helps-

I made up this heat suit-still working on the bugs-

I call it  the tinman suit-I'm thinking of going nation wide with sales-one size fits all.

Pros-really keeps the heat of mid section and upper arms

Neck and lower head is also well protected 

spark and ash proof

When one wears this you feel like there's a lion  next to you and you are always looking for an oil can for some reason??

Cons-hard to handle raku tongs or stoke a wood fire

edges are sharp and need padding

Has a tin man sound to it

hard to use the bathroom

Really -really hard to get and out of

Any ideas on improvements??

Mark

post-8914-0-44913000-1445131549_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-44913000-1445131549_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark.... I had a Thought.... I took a class at Arrowmont we did Raku last day. The instructor ran in and put on some protective gear. To my surprise I recognized what he had on. It was an old pliable leather fencing coaches protector. Long sleeves and snaps down front half way down the chest. I looked up Fencing Coaches gear and couldn't find what I remember. There is a fencing equipment company that probably could make it if they don't have them in stock. Triplette Compatition Arms in Elkin NC.

Another thought is the modern coaching equipment now just have the Eppe leather sleeve. If you are wanting to protect the arms buy 2 sleeves. I think TCA has those at 75 dollars a sleeve.

You sure you're not some Aussie bushranger and haven't I met you seated casually on a burning lounge seat?

Do they lock you up in the fire season, or is it the big J Baymore being outta the country that has released the inner man???

John come back please he's out there again.

B

You sure you're not some Aussie bushranger and haven't I met you seated casually on a burning lounge seat?

Do they lock you up in the fire season, or is it the big J Baymore being outta the country that has released the inner man???

John come back please he's out there again.

B

LOL Babs.. you are right.. Ned Kelly rides again

I call it  the tinman suit-I'm thinking of going nation wide with sales-one size fits all.

spark and ash proof

When one wears this you feel like there's a lion  next to you and you are always looking for an oil can for some reason??

hard to use the bathroom

Mark

Mark;

you have to shorten the neck, or you will cut your nose off.

TJR.

I think you just took your old furnace and strapped it on. I don't think you are really making a suit.

T.

Actually its my furnace plenum when it was brand new before adding a few more take offs-as this shot is from 1987-this piece is no longer in use-as I have a new 96% efficient one with new plenum as wel that I installed last January/February during our dry spell.

I hit a gold mine of goofy photos that seem somewhat relevant to ceramics. 

still working on the cone 10 toaster idea.I just cannot seem to find the right plug configuration to get the right amps for a standard plug.

Mark

I never call the fire dept-they only put out fires-I may ask them for the old suits-all volunteer so I think this will not work well.

spark and ash proof

hard to use the bathroom

Mark

Is this the only excuse you can come up with for not helping with the household chores???

Won't work in my neck of the woods, pretty handy with an angle grinder, metal cutter here!!

Or is this what your partner makes you wear to keep you outta those apple trees?

Babs

I've got a fireman's coat and it works great. I don't feel a bit of heat from the raku kiln, however the coat itself is incredibly warm. I don't know how those guys and gals wear those things in the summer months. The coat and a face shield and I'm good to go. You could always use some leather welder's chaps if you need leg protection.

Archived