Clay body for birdbath ?

I have an old birdbath base that I'm considering making a new top for, and looking for recommendations for a clay body. 

I've been using Standard 112 and some Laguna #70 WC611 - but am wondering if maybe I should use something different for a larger, flatter form.  My local supplier stocks several of Standard's clays, and some Laguna - and will special-order from either if I'm willing to wait to have it shipped with their next stock order.

Would also appreciate any tips - do or don't - from anyone that's made birdbaths or similar outdoor pots.

A few years ago and older gentleman (bowling buddy) asked me to make him one to fit on his base as he had left the old bowl out in the winter. I have a plaster form that fits on the wheel that is a low dome about 20" across. I used a SC 630 at the time, and it did take me a few days to figure out how to make it right. I ended up throwing the bottom on the dome using a 2 inch thick slab that I pulled out to about 1/2 "  with a foot ring pulled that was wide enough to fit over the base with allowance for shrinkage. I then made walls on a separate bat that were thrown cylinder raised 2 " and same thickness as the base. I attached the two pieces when leather hard and waited until bone dry before bisque firing. The first one I fired on the foot ring. . . .It cracked. The second I fired upside down no problem, and then fired the glaze on the base with glaze sponge cleared foot ring.  He is still using this today as I have talked to him often, and he is very happy with the result.

best,

Pres

Many years ago I made a birdbath.  The pedestal is a shaped open cylinder with the bowl sitting on top.  I soon discovered that the local raccoons liked  to get up to the water and tipped the bowl over and cracked or broke it a couple of times.  The last bowl I made had a deep - 5 - 6 inch foot on it to fit inside the cylinder so the raccoons couldn't tip it off the top anymore.  Lin

9 hours ago, Pres said:

... The second I fired upside down no problem ...

Thanks for the tips.  Already planning to bisque upside down, based on other threads I've seen here about problems with large platters.  Haven't decided whether I'm going to try to throw, or use slabs and/or coils...  Was thinking about making a wooden ring that I can attach to a piece of plywood to make a form, and use a slab for the bottom and coils for the sides - then attach a foot after it firms up.  Hadn't thought about a plaster form and throwing upside-down.

I've seen a birdbath basin made a slab draped over a really large styrofoam wreath base. I haven't used either of the claybodies you mentioned but just by looking at the specs I would lean towards the Laguna WC611 given the porosity is lower. Whichever way you land up making it compress the heck out of it. 

• 4 weeks later...

did a  big birdbath in the 70s without glaze.  molded the shape on a piece of fabric stretched over a large, 22 or so inches diameter trash can and held in place with several rubber bungee cords.   rolled out a slab 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick and draped it into the fabric while keeping an eye on the bungee cords and avoiding their slipping down the can.  

came out great, plain 112 plus 112 with lots of red iron oxide to make fake wood supports running through the bowl so smaller birds could use them while drinking.  adjusting the cords allowed the bowl to be shallow enough, 2 to 3  inches, for birds to bathe safely.  glaze is too slippery so i did not use it.  threw a separate  large diameter, flared base about 9 inches tall so the ratio of support was enough to prevent tipping over.

sadly, i was not home when the first frost was predicted.  calling my son to ask him to take it inside did not work.  teenager.

8 hours ago, oldlady said:

molded the shape on a piece of fabric stretched over a large, 22 or so inches diameter trash can and held in place with several rubber bungee cords. 

Interesting idea.  Was just looking at a CAN Weekly article about using a slump/hump mold using a 5 gal. bucket...  Didn't give it a thought, that a larger container could be used for a larger form...    Now I just have to find a round trash can - around here, they're all big square 'wheelie-bins'.