QotW: What are your plans ceramic wise for February and March?

February is almost hear, and after some time where the shop has been frozen, I have to start planning for the coming months of  getting started in the shop. February will start with  a little more clean up and organization from the November effort. However my one of my first tasks once that is done is to get a glaze load of pottery in that I held off on purpose. I had made urns for my sister in law, and my 97 yr old Dad.  The inner lids for both of those have to be fired so that the folks ashes can be sealed in for internment. I now know the dates of death that go on the top of the inside lid. Got me to thinking about what you will be doing in the shop in February, or March ceramic wise.

QotW: What are your plans ceramic wise for February and March?

best,

Pres

I have zero plans for pot shop work for February. March is a big maybe?

I painted  the wood floor in throwing room just after xmas as the industrial paint wore though in the traffic areas in the last twenty years. That was a big job getting all the throwing area empty then extra mopping and drying and sanding, then two coats of really nasty heavy duty floor paint which is grey and I had 3/4 of a gallon left over from twenty years ago when I built the throwing  addition and painted the floor before the walls went up . I wore the super duty resperator where no smells get through to do this job and had doors open whenever it was not raining for weeks. .

That said I threw two kiln loads and fiired them in January for backstock to last through  Feb and March. for my outlets

Today I head south for 4 hours to  Santa Rosa to have a tarrsal tunnel sugery on my right foot in early am on Monday . (its like carpel tunnel only on the foot (ankle area is the compression area) This is about twice as hard recovery from carpel tunnel surgery I'm told . Both my feet are numb on balls ,one for a year so I'm trying this 1st foot to see if it works. If it does I'll do the other foot later. The cast stays on for 3 weeks and my foot cannot touch the ground for those 3 weeks. I have a knee scooter and crutches and will be laid up on pain killers for a spell. I hate drugs.My rehab starts in 6 weeks from tomorrow (mid March)so no pots being made. The nerve gets compressed just like in carpel tunnel so they cut the sheath to allow the nerve more room. PS ,I never have had carpel tunnel but know all about it from  my wrist surgeons and friends who had that surgery 

I did throw a few salt cellars yesterday with some spare time on my hands.I'll need 80 of them by spring

I will order some tools  from Laguna so that a bit of clay stuff  when I'm off the pain meds. The tool order is mostly for others as Kemper tools may be gone soon as I noted in post last month.

I have some tax work lined up as well as a pile of books to read-none are about clay

I will have a huge wholesale order to do when I get my foot back but it will be late March at best. That order is every spring and it a Subaru with about 20 boxes of pots.No idea when that will get done this year at this time. Its my last day today with two good feet

Clay work is on hold for me for most of those two months

Getting old is not for the faint of Heart

Edited by Mark C.

Its been raining for weeks in the low 50s and it finally broke up with sunshine for two days and 70 degrees yahooo.  Great day for driving south and return drive north. Then by Tuesday its a atmospheric river with lots of rain predicted again. We had 4 inchs on the 13th in one 24 hr period. Rain forest for sure. We are up to 32 inches since October 1st.

Edited by Mark C.

I'm trying out a new ^6 white w/grog and am in the process of rehydrating 50 lbs, in batches. It was already hardened by the time I got it. It had taken 2 months for the company to get it to me in the first place, so I was already ticked when it came "half baked", so to speak.  SInce they had refunded my payment I decided to just "let it go" and didn't bother to ask for a fresh replacement. I'll be using it to fill my kiln for an early spring fire. I got some new glazes I'm eager to try, so this will keep me busy for the next 2 months. 

I need to do some more testing before I know what direction I am going.  My first test firing had miserable results so I an going to try a different clay.   I was going to work on it this week but I just got scheduled  for some radiation treatment on some facial skin cancer.    I have to get treatment for five days,  the doctor said it might make me tired.   Caught it early so its no big deal.  Denice

Also trying new clays, IMCO reformulated "DC 3-5"*, an off-white stoneware, and "Terry Clay," a new light buff stoneware offering.
Looking to fill the kiln for a bisque fire this week, then turn that around for a glaze fire.
Other than that, I hope to host some local potters for a "Studio visit," throw lots of pots to pick from for next firing, explore outlets (wholesale and/or consignment) and make some progress on Studio upgrade/remodeling.

Mainly, enjoy spending time in the Studio! I'm a lot closer to being pain free now, energy is much better (still lots of room for improvement there, however), and although more "cold" weather is certainly in the offing, the longer days help, and it's warmer these last few days.

Mainly ii, I'm feeling more comfortable at the wheel lately, almost back!

*Likely on account of finite supply of C-98 talc (looks like IMCO still has some C-98 available).

I like several of their clays, and they offer a significant discount.

I'm low on tin oxide!
Hard to beat USPigment on tin oxide.
Shout if you see it for less than $30/lb?

They (USPigment) have cobalt carbonate at $28/lb today...

My ceramics supply store fix kilns,  you had to haul your kiln to the store and then wait 3 to 6 months.   You could probably stretch your repair schedule out a little,  your customers will wait.   I didn't feel confident working on the kiln myself,   my husband had no interest in working on my kilns.    When he retired he decided to give it a try and decided it was easy.   It would be easy for him,  he wrote  operation  and repair books for a living.    Denice

On 1/29/2024 at 11:34 AM, Denice said:

Caught it early so its no big deal.  Denice

Holy cannoli-you have an amazing attitude-good for you! If you get tired, let yourself be tired, tho, don't push it--and best wishes going forward.