Do you practise pottery at home? Please help my research

Hi all,
I am a keen potter [having studied at school, taught at camp and now engaging with pottery at home]. For my masters thesis in UX Psychology , I am looking at how I could develop a digital interface to enhance the pottery experience at home. [emphasis on enhance, not replace nor distract from the physical experience]

If you engage with pottery at home, I'd love to know:
- how did you start? [e.g did you take a class, see it online etc]
- what are you using [e.g store bought materials, pottery kits]
- what are the challenges you face doing pottery at home?
- do you think integrating a digital element, such as an app, with your practise could improve the pottery experience? how do you see a digital element aiding you while you practise pottery at home?

Your input is so appreciated. 
Thank you!

I see that no one else has replied to your topic so perhaps you can clarify one of my questions about your request.  Do you mean that you want to develop an app that is for kinesthetic learners (e.g. simulations or visual reality) that will enhance for example, learning to throw on the wheel? 

16 hours ago, Jodie Parry said:

Hi all,
I am a keen potter [having studied at school, taught at camp and now engaging with pottery at home]. For my masters thesis in UX Psychology , I am looking at how I could develop a digital interface to enhance the pottery experience at home. [emphasis on enhance, not replace nor distract from the physical experience]

If you engage with pottery at home, I'd love to know:
- how did you start? [e.g did you take a class, see it online etc] Took a basic class which led to taking 3 college courses.
- what are you using [e.g store bought materials, pottery kits] Store bought materials
- what are the challenges you face doing pottery at home? Making enough time to spend in the studio
- do you think integrating a digital element, such as an app, with your practise could improve the pottery experience? how do you see a digital element aiding you while you practise pottery at home? Nope...it's kind of hard to mess with a phone or tablet when my hands are covered in slip!

Your input is so appreciated. 
Thank you!

In reply to your inquiry, I learned pottery when in final years of undergrad school, was hooked. My tools come from decades of buying, adapting or making tools that fit my needs. Over the years my needs have changed as arthritis and other things have changed the types of things I do. Because I can't pull handles anymore. . . I jury rigged an electric putty gun to extrude handles. I made ribs and trimming chucks to specifically throw chalice bowls and stems. I was always a teacher in a HS, not a full time potter but addicted just the same. I don't intend to quit, and at the same time love getting dirty in the clay. All that @JohnnyKhas said goes for me. I have been doing this for over 50 years. . . it has been hard work learning, and it is a skill, I doubt is there is much that could be done now that hasn't been done to make it easier or better.

best,

Pres

@Jodie Parry, every once in a while we get posts like yours that are asking members of the forum questions for their research or product development. I've yet to see one where the OP comes back and shares the results of their questions. This might be why you are getting few responses, in addition to the request from Marilyn for some clarification of what "digital element" would mean.

Edited by Min

I got hooked on clay when I was 11 years old,  the art teacher gave us a ball of clay.  I made a Egyptian cat pendant,  I realized that clay was magic and I could make anything with it.  I took every ceramics class in high school and later got a degree in fine arts with a ceramics focus.   My husband knew I was addicted to clay,   instead of buying a couch for our first house we bought a kiln.   My first studio was a fold down table, three tools,  bucket and the kiln.   I have been working with clay for 55 years and each studio has gotten bigger and better.   When I started producing a lot of work  I made my own clay,  packaged premade clay was expensive.  I am lucky to have a ceramic supply store in town,  I buy all of my tools and supplies there.   Working from your own studio you miss being around other potters that you can bounce ideas around and get critiques.  The only digital element I use is a app for my Genisis controllers on my kilns.   Denice

If you engage with pottery at home, I'd love to know:
- how did you start? [e.g did you take a class, see it online etc]
- do you think integrating a digital element, such as an app, with your practise could improve the pottery experience? how do you see a digital element aiding you while you practise pottery at home?

I’m going to qualify this by saying pottery is my job, not a hobby. I do pottery at home, but that’s because a home studio has much lower overhead than renting a space. 

1) I started in high school art class, which was about 30 years ago now. I went on to get a BFA in ceramics. 

2) Not sure what you mean by this one. They don’t really do kits for individual pottery projects, like you sometimes see with knitting or small woodworking projects. While a box of clay and some simple hand building tools can be had for under $100, the larger pieces of equipment like kilns can be pretty expensive and require special wiring and enough space to set up. The closest thing to a pottery kit would be a workshop with materials included. To answer the question as written, I buy boxes of clay 10 at a time, glaze materials in 50 lb bags, and I’ve owned most of my tools for a decade or more. 

3) this is my profession, so my concerns are different than those of a hobbyist. But I’m at the point where I can crank work to my hearts’ content, but I miss a bit of the social aspect of working with a group. 

4) as mentioned by others, apps tend to be pretty impractical with dirty hands. My pottery experience of throwing a lot of repetitive and kinda boring work is not the same as that of a hobbyist or beginner: enhanced feels like the wrong word entirely. I use podcasts, audiobooks and music to help me stay focused. But it’s worth noting that not everyone likes or wants background noise when they work. 

On 10/7/2023 at 5:56 AM, Marilyn T said:

I see that no one else has replied to your topic so perhaps you can clarify one of my questions about your request.  Do you mean that you want to develop an app that is for kinesthetic learners (e.g. simulations or visual reality) that will enhance for example, learning to throw on the wheel? 

Hi Marilyn, thank you for responding and asking further questions 

I am still defining the research, but yes I want to design an app [or some other digital interface] that supports the pottery experience in a non distracting way, for example as you said simulations, vibrations, sound etc. I imagine it will aid mostly in hand pottery as this is most accessible [not everyone has a wheel at home - for example I don't]

Would love to know your experiences of practising at home, and if you think there is space for a digital 'assistant'!

Thanks, Jodie

19 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

If you engage with pottery at home, I'd love to know:
- how did you start? [e.g did you take a class, see it online etc]

I’m going to qualify this by saying pottery is my job, not a hobby. I do pottery at home, but that’s because a home studio has much lower overhead than renting a space. 

1) I started in high school art class, which was about 30 years ago now. I went on to get a BFA in ceramics. 

2) Not sure what you mean by this one. They don’t really do kits for individual pottery projects, like you sometimes see with knitting or small woodworking projects. While a box of clay and some simple hand building tools can be had for under $100, the larger pieces of equipment like kilns can be pretty expensive and require special wiring and enough space to set up. The closest thing to a pottery kit would be a workshop with materials included. To answer the question as written, I buy boxes of clay 10 at a time, glaze materials in 50 lb bags, and I’ve owned most of my tools for a decade or more. 

3) this is my profession, so my concerns are different than those of a hobbyist. But I’m at the point where I can crank work to my hearts’ content, but I miss a bit of the social aspect of working with a group. 

4) as mentioned by others, apps tend to be pretty impractical with dirty hands. My pottery experience of throwing a lot of repetitive and kinda boring work is not the same as that of a hobbyist or beginner: enhanced feels like the wrong word entirely. I use podcasts, audiobooks and music to help me stay focused. But it’s worth noting that not everyone likes or wants background noise when they work. 

Hi Callie, 
Thank you so much for your input! It is so interesting to here the perspective of something who practises pottery professional [which I really admire]

You make a good point about not being able to buy kits for single projects as with other crafts, I had not considered this! I also totally understand your point about using screens with messy hands [I myself am a very messy potter]. Perhaps the experience could be less tactile focused as our hands are busy when doing pottery but support in other ways, such as through visuals, sound or vibrations. Any thoughts on this?

On 10/7/2023 at 5:37 PM, Denice said:

I got hooked on clay when I was 11 years old,  the art teacher gave us a ball of clay.  I made a Egyptian cat pendant,  I realized that clay was magic and I could make anything with it.  I took every ceramics class in high school and later got a degree in fine arts with a ceramics focus.   My husband knew I was addicted to clay,   instead of buying a couch for our first house we bought a kiln.   My first studio was a fold down table, three tools,  bucket and the kiln.   I have been working with clay for 55 years and each studio has gotten bigger and better.   When I started producing a lot of work  I made my own clay,  packaged premade clay was expensive.  I am lucky to have a ceramic supply store in town,  I buy all of my tools and supplies there.   Working from your own studio you miss being around other potters that you can bounce ideas around and get critiques.  The only digital element I use is a app for my Genisis controllers on my kilns.   Denice

Hi Denice, 

Thanks so much for your response, I also got hooked from art class in school! Although I did take break then ended up teaching ceramics at a summer camp [unqualified of course, as they were not professional classes] but this reignited my love for ceramics and I bought an at home kit [studios are less accessible to me as an English speaking living in Italy!]

I love that you bought a kiln instead of a couch! 

It is amazing to hear how your studio has progressed in that time. Keep creating and thank you for your help!
Jodie

On 10/7/2023 at 4:58 PM, Min said:

@Jodie Parry, every once in a while we get posts like yours that are asking members of the forum questions for their research or product development. I've yet to see one where the OP comes back and shares the results of their questions. This might be why you are getting few responses, in addition to the request from Marilyn for some clarification of what "digital element" would mean.

Hi Min, 
Great advice - thank you!

I hope I provided some more clarity to Marilyn's request.

I would love to keep you updated on the insights from the research and share the design element with you, as I will also be seeking feedback from this [for example, if it is an app]

Thanks, Jodie

On 10/7/2023 at 3:29 PM, Pres said:

In reply to your inquiry, I learned pottery when in final years of undergrad school, was hooked. My tools come from decades of buying, adapting or making tools that fit my needs. Over the years my needs have changed as arthritis and other things have changed the types of things I do. Because I can't pull handles anymore. . . I jury rigged an electric putty gun to extrude handles. I made ribs and trimming chucks to specifically throw chalice bowls and stems. I was always a teacher in a HS, not a full time potter but addicted just the same. I don't intend to quit, and at the same time love getting dirty in the clay. All that @JohnnyKhas said goes for me. I have been doing this for over 50 years. . . it has been hard work learning, and it is a skill, I doubt is there is much that could be done now that hasn't been done to make it easier or better.

best,

Pres

Hi Pres,
Thank you for your input!

I am sorry to hear about your arthritis, my mum also has this and is a keen crocheter so understand the difficulties it can cause. However, glad to hear you are finding ways to overcome and keep creating. 

I agree, there is something about being immersed in the clay that I love to, I am a very messy crafting [and perhaps person in general!]

It is for sure a difficult learning curve, and I understand your point about the space to find a way to overcome this. Although, there are always ways to innovate!

Thank you and all the best,

Jodie

Thank you for getting back to us Jodie.  Good luck with your research.

As to your questions:

1.  how did I start:  school art class.

2.  what am I using:  manufacturer's clay; dry materials to make glazes; wheel 

3.  what are the challenges of doing pottery at home:  (as compared to a group studio I assume).  -- no face to face communication with other potters.

4.  With regard to a digital assistant, I am planning on upgrading to a new iPad so that I can run the latest google app. "hands free".   This will allow me to voice  control  pottery you-tube videos so I don't have to smear clay on the controls as I play/pause/adjust volume.  I have the iPad mounted at head height on the wall by my wheel.  I only use the I-pad if  I am trying to learn how to throw a new form, otherwise I like to just have a podcast or music on while I throw. 

6 hours ago, Marilyn T said:

Thank you for getting back to us Jodie.  Good luck with your research.

As to your questions:

1.  how did I start:  school art class.

2.  what am I using:  manufacturer's clay; dry materials to make glazes; wheel 

3.  what are the challenges of doing pottery at home:  (as compared to a group studio I assume).  -- no face to face communication with other potters.

4.  With regard to a digital assistant, I am planning on upgrading to a new iPad so that I can run the latest google app. "hands free".   This will allow me to voice  control  pottery you-tube videos so I don't have to smear clay on the controls as I play/pause/adjust volume.  I have the iPad mounted at head height on the wall by my wheel.  I only use the I-pad if  I am trying to learn how to throw a new form, otherwise I like to just have a podcast or music on while I throw. 

Hi Marilyn, 
Thanks for getting back to me!

Great idea with the hands free app - maybe I'll give this a try 

Keep creating!

Jodie

On 10/8/2023 at 10:41 AM, Jodie Parry said:

Perhaps the experience could be less tactile focused as our hands are busy when doing pottery but support in other ways, such as through visuals, sound or vibrations. Any thoughts on this?

I think most phones or tablets have some of this functionality built in already as assorted disability supports. Things like Siri and VoiceControl on Apple products (and the Android equivalents), are a great example of disability supports that able folks can benefit from. But they don’t always have intuitive setups. 

Most of us  already have our preferred  music, podcasts, audiobooks we can download from the library or subscription services, YouTube, movie and tv streaming services. Switching between them with voice commands is already possible, but maybe not intuitive.  So there may be something that can be done in terms of making an app that will switch between media types, or integrate some existing features more smoothly.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:05 PM, Jodie Parry said:

- how did you start? [e.g did you take a class, see it online etc]

Went to evening classes

Store bought

Working in a greenhouse - dust and cleanup, winter cold and damp , summer heat and dazzling light 

Can't imagine what an app could possible do for me

i) Saw a throwing demonstration, wanted to learn how to do that; decades later, enrolled in "Wheel I" then "Wheel II" at local Junior College.
ii) Clay and glaze materials bought from pottery supply stores, in person as much as possible ($hipping costs!!); a mix of second hand and brandy new tools and equipment
iii) It can be lonely, as others have mentioned.
The Studio space in our previous home was almost always very comfortable; the Studio space in our new/current home can be overwhelmingly hot and bitingly cold! I look to have that sorted by next Spring!
Both Studio spaces are also bike shops. Some people (me) have too many bikes in the way! In our current home, repair and maintenance projects that aren't pottery or bike have been regulated to the non-Studio side. Hope to have the wall up by next Spring.

iv) ...have been thinking about this one!
There's surround sound with broadcast radio, streaming radio/podcasts/etc., and library music/podcast options already.
I don't mind using the amplifier's remote, also don't mind walking over and getting some clay on the controls; it wipes off ok!

I'd like real-time feedback on the work in progress profile, height, width, and thickness on a screen - that could be helpful!
I have to bend way over sideways (else pick up the bat) to get a good look at the ware's profile. Hmm, mirror?
Stopping to measure the height, width, and diameter of the opening takes a moment.
Thickness can be measured, yes, but that takes a moment as well.

Although practicing to the point where stopping to gauge the profile and measure the various bits isn't really necessary - just for confirmation - it is possible* - how nice would it be to have feedback on a screen?
I'd like that, but not so much that I'd try to develop and test a system...
The height and width wouldn't be terribly difficult, nor the profile, but thickness, that might take some doing!

*possible for some, not all of us can do repeats within a half millimeter without measuring.
I can sometimes repeat without measuring, but not dependably enough, I have a stick, caliper, crossed stick, six inch and fifteen inch rules (w/ metric), hand square, and a few things I'm forgetting as measures.

Edited by Hulk
rules, insert a missing word

On 10/9/2023 at 7:47 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I think most phones or tablets have some of this functionality built in already as assorted disability supports. Things like Siri and VoiceControl on Apple products (and the Android equivalents), are a great example of disability supports that able folks can benefit from. But they don’t always have intuitive setups. 

Most of us  already have our preferred  music, podcasts, audiobooks we can download from the library or subscription services, YouTube, movie and tv streaming services. Switching between them with voice commands is already possible, but maybe not intuitive.  So there may be something that can be done in terms of making an app that will switch between media types, or integrate some existing features more smoothly.

This is a great idea, thank you for the insight Callie!

2 hours ago, Hulk said:

i) Saw a throwing demonstration, wanted to learn how to do that; decades later, enrolled in "Wheel I" then "Wheel II" at local Junior College.
ii) Clay and glaze materials bought from pottery supply stores, in person as much as possible ($hipping costs!!); a mix of second hand and brandy new tools and equipment
iii) It can be lonely, as others have mentioned.
The Studio space in our previous home was almost always very comfortable; the Studio space in our new/current home can be overwhelmingly hot and bitingly cold! I look to have that sorted by next Spring!
Both Studio spaces are also bike shops. Some people (me) have too many bikes in the way! In our current home, repair and maintenance projects that aren't pottery or bike have been regulated to the non-Studio side. Hope to have the wall up by next Spring.

iv) ...have been thinking about this one!
There's surround sound with broadcast radio, streaming radio/podcasts/etc., and library music/podcast options already.
I don't mind using the amplifier's remote, also don't walking over and getting some clay on the controls; it wipes off ok!

I'd like real-time feedback on the work in progress profile, height, width, and thickness on a screen - that could be helpful!
I have to bend way over sideways (else pick up the bat) to get a good look at the ware's profile. Hmm, mirror?
Stopping to measure the height, width, and diameter of the opening takes a moment.
Thickness can be measured, yes, but that takes a moment as well.

Although practicing to the point where stopping to gauge the profile and measure the various bits isn't really necessary - just for confirmation - it is possible* - how nice would it be to have feedback on a screen?
I'd like that, but not so much that I'd try to develop and test a system...
The height and width wouldn't be terribly difficult, nor the profile, but thickness, that might take some doing!

*possible for some, not all of us can do repeats within a half millimeter without measuring.
I can sometimes repeat without measuring, but not dependably enough, I have a stick, caliper, crossed stick, six inch and twelve inch rules (w/ metric), hand square, and a few things I'm forgetting as measures.

Hi, 
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback!  Totally understand how checking the tip pf a profile could be helpful 

Keep creating :)