QotW: Weight or volume, which is your preference when mixing glazes?

Hi folks, getting ready to mix up some more glazes for a glaze load.  While doing this it occurred to me that some people don't weigh out their glazes, but use a volume method. I have never used a volume method for glazes, but know of some potters who do. However, I have some formulas that are by volume as in Magic Water, and some stain recipes.

best,

Pres

58 minutes ago, Pres said:

Hi folks, getting ready to mix up some more glazes for a glaze load.  While doing this it occurred to me that some people don't weigh out their glazes, but use a volume method. I have never used a volume method for glazes, but know of some potters who do. However, I have some formulas that are by volume as in Magic Water, and some stain recipes.

best,

Pres

I have also used a few volume glazes,  but I was trained using weights.   I don't think I would change methods  after all of these years.     Denice

Weight, except for kiln wash and wadding.  And I can count on one hand with fingers left over how often I’ve made that in the last 10 years.

If you’re experimenting, doing things by volume can be a quick and dirty way of getting results. But if you want to be able to repeat those results, you now have A New Project (tm) in order to figure out the specifics. 

• Pres unpinned this topic