Aldo Londi's Rimini Blue Glaze?

Ben xyz

don't know what the glaze is but i think you could probably get pretty close in recreating it doing progression line blends with cobalt in a glossy base. looks like these pieces have a white slip on top of the body clay also. good thing is you dont need much cobalt to make a very blue glaze...bad thing is cobalt is pretty expensive these days.

Thanks Peter - the 1% cobalt is close. Agree with you that a little more green needs to be added to get a blue closer to cyan. A good starting place though. May throw the question over to Glazy. Perhaps an Italian potter knows the formulation. I have Londi's bio, which I haven't read yet - may provide a few clues. Will report back if I nail it.

There was a glaze recipe, midfire giving similar finish, satin to gloss using petalite and copper carb, from memory.

If it comes to me, I'll post it.

Cone 07 to c03

Frit 3110 85%

Bentonite 2.5%

Petalite 12.5%

Copper Carb 5.8 seems high

Chrome oxide 0.2.

Note says crazes on most normal bodies. Glaze needs to be well set up with CaChloride to avoid settling.

Comes from Stan Eley's "Australian Fritted glazes" 1978

Lookibg further at the horse, yhe buckles of the bridle and the green medallions, could it be underglaze pver all the horse with a clear glaze? Would think the copper glaze wouls affect those colours , or those areas were painted and  covered before dipping in glaze.

I'm guessing there may be Underglaze stripes of yellow w/ the transparent blue on top, making areas green. Thanks for all the input - good suggestions! Perhaps  the Bitossi people may share the formula (worth a try)...will contact. Didn't get much response from Glazy. 

Could always take a clear which contains either Lithium, petalite or Barium Carb and test tile them with varying abmounts of Copper Carb.  What cone are you firing to?

Ceramic Arts had a Wrights water blue of similar colour in its free midfire glaze download at one point. If you have a buff or dark clay body you can coat with a white slip to get the bright colour.

Thanks Babs, Min and Kelly - all good ideas. Will also run this by my glaze chemistry teacher as well. Btw, contacted Bitossi, the manufacturer of the late Aldo Londi's work; worth a try, but no surprise:

"Thank you for your appreciation of our brand. I'm sorry, but formulas are absolutely company secrets! We are waiting for you to visit the Bitossi Archive Museum (www.fondazionevittorianobitossi.it) , which is open to the public on the occasion of the centenary of the manufacture."

Elisabetta Daini
Segreteria

IIRC I've seen blue/green "copper" recipes with a little cobalt, and vice versa. Presumably it simplifies the final optimisation of the colour. 

PS loosely related

... which include a set of copper vs cobalt test tiles (for a specific base glaze)
image.png.c76c18c2be7bce4e1f0141f95933420e.png

Edited by PeterH