Amaco Palladium glaze

Hello, I created a sculpture and  I used Amaco's Palladium glaze.  The piece had to be on stilts and if you know palladium it ran.  Basically, it ran and crawled where the stilts were and I have 4 bare spots where the stilts were.  I am looking at getting some paint to cover up those bare spots but I don't know what brand/color would look close to paladium.  Does anyone know what kind of paint or nail polish I could use that would be close to this glaze?  TIA

I was thinking of just glazing it again but I do not want that to happen again.

I think nail polish would be your best bet if you’re just covering a few stilt marks. OPI and Essie both make a black mirror nail polish that’s somewhat trendy right now. A google search for black mirror nail polish comes up with a number of possible brands. Check your drugstore. They probably have something.

• 8 months later...

First time using this site. I made the mistake of buying the largest size of Palladium 5 gallons because I was brand new to dipping and never expected issues!  Even though I bought it premade and used cookies it ran across my shelf and down the inside wall of my kiln eating a hole into the wall which I had to remove with great difficulty.  I then thinned down the glaze and covered my shelves completely and still had a little running but manageable.  However the bowl was covered in pinholes. that were razor sharp!  I should mentioned I always follow instructions and always test and use cookies.  So I refired the glaze at one cone lower and it removed 90% of the pinholes.  I am trying it again tommorrow but if it fails I don't know what to do with 5 gallons of Palladium?  I did get a pretty brownish metallic color but the risk to my shelves and kiln don't see worth it.  I have had similiar issues with June Bug and Blue Spark two other metallic glazes so there must be ingrediants  that make glaze metallic that are causing the problems?  If anyone knows what those would be I would love to know?

Hi Paula and welcome to the forum.

Glaze blisters are one of the harder things to figure out the cause of and remedy. Blisters can be from the glaze application, materials, the firing, the claybody, the application or a combination of these. Given when you refired to a cone lower it healed most of the blisters is a good sign. Do you use cones to verify your firing and confirmed you aren't overfiring? Have you tried an unfired piece  at a cone lower or only a previously fired piece? This is where I would start trying to solve this. Since we don't have the recipe(s) for the problem glazes we can't offer suggestions for altering those but the claybody, firing and application method could be areas to look at.

In this months CM there is a really good article on glaze blisters by Jeff Zamek, it is behind a paywall but you can access 3 free articles a month. It's well worth a read. Link to it here.

Hey Paula. 

Palladium is designed to be brushed onto a pot. (As far as I know?) Did they sell you a "dipping" version? 

As a brushed glaze I presume its got ingredients that lend themselves to ease of brushing. (Not ease of dipping.) As such I think that's where one problem lies.

As a brushed glaze Amaco recommends three coats. It sounds like you thinned it too much and the shiny chrome like finish can't develop with a thin application. (Unless you like that color?)

I brush on 5 coats and almost always get a nice chrome like quality. 

I'm firing the glaze to cone 6 on slip cast porcelain. Sometimes I do get blisters and refiring usually smooths them over.

I gotta figure 5 gallons is several hundred dollars? I can't afford that but maybe a smaller amount. Shoot me an email and let me know the cost.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:14 AM, PaulaD said:

First time using this site. I made the mistake of buying the largest size of Palladium 5 gallons because I was brand new to dipping and never expected issues!  Even though I bought it premade

A little googling that might help somebody else address the "craft" issues.

Can you clarify exactly what you bought, preferably including a link to the supplier/product.

To my surprise I did find adverts for dry-mix for a dipping glaze (in addition to zillions of adverts for the painting glaze).
https://s3.amazonaws.com/amacobrent/lesson_plan_files/attachments
... which includes
image.png.a27ec50dd6d179d78edfe7beee48c5ed.png

Mixing instructions (initial and re-mixing before use) in above reference, and as videos in
https://www.amaco.com/clay_how_tos/216

The dry-mix advert was for 25lb of powder which by my (unchecked) calculations should make about 4.48 US gallons of glaze.
... assuming the density of the powder is 2.6, as suggested in https://wiki.glazy.org/t/brongniarts-formula/780.html

It would be nice to check the specific gravity of your glaze.
https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/ceramics-monthly/ceramics-monthly-article/tips-and-tools-specific-gravity#

As Jeff mentioned the appearance of this glaze is affected by its thickness.
image.png.0b5e05b27d10b82d3ceddf214d5d843f.png

https://s3.amazonaws.com/amacobrent/lesson_plan_files/attachments
... contains guarded advice on layering, so double/long dipping to thicken the glaze might be possible.
image.png.9f8f6f6f553fe08d207de94705197634.png

Edited by PeterH

On 2/5/2024 at 1:44 AM, PeterH said:

As Jeff mentioned the appearance of this glaze is affected by its thickness.

I fire to cone 6 in my studio, and I have not seen Palladium look like any of those 3 tiles. When thin it goes green, not lighter metallic.  When thick enough to go metallic it runs off the pot. I'm not willing to change firing schedules to satisfy one glaze, so my students won't touch it any more because it has been nearly impossible for them to use successfully.

I can second the cone 5  experience it did not like to go to cone 6 for me without pinholes with our clay. Also needed to apply it fairly thick, else it was just sort of some ugly. Just a reminder: it is NOT listed for food surfaces when we tried it. Took lots of firing tests to get one family bragging rights trophy fairly pinhole free. Also as it aged it became more black chrome than bright chrome.

WP_20160225_16_29_57_Pro (2).jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb