Table tops

I have great thick canvas to cover 2?tables for my studio, but I’m considering getting some sheet vinyl flooring pieces—with no textures and not the really cushiony kind—and adhere them between the canvas and the table tops. Maybe the table tops will last longer? Any thoughts? 

Vinyl will be sticky because it doesn’t absorb any water, and canvas not only holds dust, but it keeps whatever’s under it from drying, which eventually will rot a wood table.

I switched to a concrete patio paver on my wedging table, and much prefer it to canvas. Others have recommended cement board as an alternative to that because it’s lighter. I think even just having finished plywood would give the right balance of a surface that will release clay, and without the canvas holding the water, it’ll be less prone to rot.

Cement board is great. A warning however,it sucks the moisture out of clay ..I found if making certain items this is a negative , somethings a positive.

Canvas, for reasons given by other posters, I'd avoid.

Cement board great but look out when making handles from coils or rolled out clay. CB easy to clean.

Not all cement board (tile backer board) is equal. Within the last year Hardibacker has come out with a "waterproof" type which will not absorb water. ASK if youre not sure about which one is which. The water proof is several dollars more than the regular hardibacker.  That being said I have used a plaster wedging  table with a removable canvas cover for 30 yrs or so. No problems for me but I dont slap the clay on it either.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Not all cement board (tile backer board) is equal. Within the last year Hardibacker has come out with a "waterproof" type which will not absorb water. ASK if youre not sure about which one is which. The water proof is several dollars more than the regular hardibacker.  That being said I have used a plaster wedging  table with a removable canvas cover for 30 yrs or so. No problems for me but I dont slap the clay on it either.

That's good to know. I did notice the different absorption quality ofthe new stuff I bought compared to old stuff but put it down to change in manufacturing, same thickness more flexible, less strong?

Yip, will drill staff a bit more when I buy again. My new stuff is a poorer quality, dont trust it as ware boards which is what I bought it for.

Looking for a light, strong board,small old person here, cut to  a span to fit my rack.

New stuff good for wedging moist clay.