In search of large kiln

@yams23 are you thinking you want some form of regular studio membership, a workshop/residency type situation for a small run of pieces, or a kiln-for-hire for a one off? 

A 6 foot diameter kiln is a tall order, pun not intended but I’m owning it anyways. I can’t even think of industrial settings where a gas kiln would be 6’ wide, even if there are some gas car or conveyor belt kilns that go that deep.  There are technical issues in heating a space that large, and the shape of the space plays a big role.

The 2 better solutions I can think of are to either find the largest kiln available to you and build your pieces to fit that, perhaps in modules that can be assembled later. Alternately, if the piece doesn’t need to be fired to a particularly hot temperature, you could possibly build a fibre kiln around it and fire the piece in situ. 

Edited by Callie Beller Diesel
Edited to add a thought.

Just for reference, the Archie Bray has their kiln firing costs listed here, and their largest gas kiln, the Bailey that has a stacking volume of 110 cu ft has a stacking space measuring 48” x 60” x 66”. Closer to 5 feet than 6. Montana isn’t super close to Seattle, but it’s not an unreasonable distance. 

The only kilns I've ever seen that can fit something that is 6 feet in diameter are wood burning kilns, or a custom built industrial 100 cubic foot electric. I've seen car kilns that are 6' long, but not in width. Large kilns are typically built in rectangles, not squares or circles.

Have you already made the piece?

You're going to have to enroll in a class or join a studio in order to use their kiln, especially since you'll probably need to use their studio to build it since transporting something that large isn't a good idea. In addition to having a kiln that large, they'll need to have the equipment to move the piece in and out of the kiln. Your other option is to build your own temporary kiln around the piece.

sorry, i do know of a shallow, 18 inches high or so,  (i did not measure it) round electric kiln that was made by the manufacturer to a sculptor's design.   he sold it later to a group who made ceramic crosses and had a very large customer base.   the sorry part is that it is just about as far from seattle as you can get, st petersburg florida.   

you are near skutt, ask about a custom design.   just be sure you will need it for a long time and have a place to put it.

@Callie Beller Diesel@neilestrick thanks for all the info! I'm actually asking on behalf of my mentor who has made 4 ft large crystalline glazed wall plates (fine art) and dreams of taking it further. Trying to help him out. He's helped me so much! So to answer your question, I know he would be willing to rent an entire kiln.

I also know that the kiln would need to get up to at least 2300° and be able to hold/soak for the crystalline process.

Edited by yams23

On 2/8/2023 at 8:10 AM, Pres said:

I know that some colleges with MFA programs had them in the 70's, as there was one at PSU where photos were taken with a table and chairs inside with people sitting around. Long time ago, and strange fond memory.

best,

Pres

@pres - do you happen to know which colleges? Even though it's been a while, I'm willing to investigate any lead! Is PSU Penn State?

the kiln was located in a shared studio called Brick Street Studio  in st petersburg.   it is in the warehouse arts district and there are other pottery centers there.   i cannot find a phone number for brick street so i tried the Morean Center for clay.   formerly known as the Train Station.  it is only 2 blocks from brick street.   there is a third one on first street south at 20th called the Clay Center.  

i left a message at the Morean but nobody has called back.  same thing at the Clay center.  i will keep trying but you might do a search and get better results.  the area is full of potters.   the train station has a history of fantastic workshops using many of their fuel burning kilns.   it is an ever-growing area for artists of all kinds.  the city is supportive.

i checked the map and found that the building has changed names.   i last saw it before covid so it may have been like so many other business during that time.  it is now called  Creative Art Studios At 400.   the address is 426 23rd st  south.  the Morean address is 420 22nd st south.  

i do not see a website with info but i am a total computer idiot so do your own search from here to get the details.