Flaking Kiln Shelves

KLackler

My kiln shelves are flaking apart and my question is, are they salvageable?  And if so, how? They were bought second hand but lightly used, and I only fire them to cone 6, sometimes cone 7 as I have hot spots in my kiln. It just started happening after about 2 years of regular use (2-3x a month). It seems like there would be no way to get them flat again without grinding the whole shelf down, and it is happening on both sides. I'd really prefer not to buy new shelves...

I had to figure out how to resize the images :) 

So this is a photo of one of them. I'm not sure what kind of shelf it is, but it's not very thick, which I love because it's not too heavy. They warp pretty badly, and I just keep flipping them which seems to help.

kiln shelf.jpg

Thanks for posting a pic. To me that looks like a coating of crappy kiln wash flaking off. Some cheap washes will start to fuse like that and eventually flake off. Unfortunately, you'll have to grind it off, although you may be able to scrape a good amount of it off first. When it's clean and smooth again,  re-wash them with a decent high-alumina wash.

Darn! The flakes are pretty thick, and underneath is not smooth- it's pitted and crumbly. In order to make the shelf flat again I think I'd have to grind the whole surface on both sides, and maybe sand it smooth. Does that seem reasonable or maybe it's not salvageable?

I will definitely check my kiln wash and get something better-I've just been using whatever my local ceramic stores sell, so I didn't think too much of it. 

Thank you so much for the help!

I suggest weighing how much labour is involved in fixing these, and decide whether or not you want to spend a whole lot of time, additional materials and then money, or just go straight to spending a little money.

You’re right, you will have to grind them down and reapply a better kiln wash. Sanding isn’t necessary if you’re applying kiln wash. If you don’t own a grinder, you have to get that, plus any PPE you don’t own yet. It’s a loud, messy job that takes an afternoon, but isn’t the end of the world. It’s what I’d recommend if you hadn’t mentioned the warping which you were compensating for by flipping. If you use a different kiln wash, washes will all eventually flake off. So you won’t be able to flip them anymore without chips getting into the pieces below.

If you’ve got the means, just skip to getting new shelves. If you get the thicker corderite ones, they don’t warp, so kiln washing one side is fine. If you spend a little more for lighter hollow core or carbide, they’re more money but are usually a once in a lifetime purchase. Carbide have the bonus of not really holding onto glaze drips. 

Not sure where you are but your shelf is disintegrating. Mine did that  would " blister" and crack then being brittle sloughs off, flipping them the crumbs flake off onto your glazed pots. 

Think it's an age thing. Occurred on bottom surface of shelves in my case. Not a flipper. shiny surface, maybe a build up of deposit from many years of glaze firing.

I've had the shelves outside but covered. It really only started happening maybe 6 firings ago, and I've used these at cone 6/7 for about 2.5 years. I just realized I had changed my kiln wash right about then, I wonder if that's what did it. The wash isn't on super thick. But it definitely looks like the shelf is degrading to me too. I will try grinding, then using a different kiln wash only on one side and see how they do.  

5 hours ago, KLackler said:

I've had the shelves outside but covered.

Not sure what your elevation is but Northern California has had temperatures near or below freezing lately. It does look like the shelf is delaminating and might have experienced freeze thaw type damage. Just a possibility.

On a side note, that is exactly what my regular kiln shelves did after several soda firings, on the unwashed side (bottom). Posts too. Big flakes peeling off. I switched to silicon carbide shelves for soda.

My understanding is that the surface layer ends up with a different coefficient of expansion than the shelf and eventually spalls. Obviously soda super accelerates the process, but it looks the same. 

Oh, and do as Mark says, make your own kiln wash. It’s simple and you’ll know what’s in it. 

Edited by Kelly in AK
Additional text

that photo looks just like the shelves that came with an older kiln given to me for my florida studio.   the huge chunks broke off very thick and there was nothing i could do to save the shelves.   i took one to a machine shop that could grind them but the owner said there was no way to do it.     both sides were the same and he showed me that the huge flakes were half of the shelf itself, not kiln wash.