What kind of vehicles?

One ton extended cargo van chevy 6 liter gas. Holds 2 tons if needed.I keep my booth in it as well (they all fit flat in side wall two shelve story box on wall of van inside as well as two canopies in Yakama space case up top and pro panels up top in custom box. Van hold up to 70 banana boxes of pots for a run of shows.

I only use it for work 9full time potter) it stays full and I just add to it. 

Many use here use mini vans as they use the car for other things. I have had a dedicated vehicle for pottery for many decades -Used to be a 3/4 ton pickup with a shell  on back with roof rack ,then its  been a few vans. Bought them new and ran the heck out of them . Now that I'm down to one show a year this van (2010) with 94k on it will be my last van.

A minivan is the best choice for me. It is big enough to do shows, and small enough to be a personal vehicle too. It’s also really comfortable for long road trips. It’s the best balance of cargo space, drivability, and gas mileage. If I’m at a downtown city show, I never have to worry about fitting into parking garages. I have a Toyota and it’s pretty low maintenance too. 

I've always used the SUV I drive everyday. For the last 7 years that has been a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder. Before that a 2011 Chevy Traverse. Before that a 1998 Pathfinder which was a little smaller than ideal- I had to strap stuff to the roof rack. Some use vans, some use pickups, some use a trailer.  Deciding what works best for you depends on your booth setup, how much work you'll be taking to shows, costs, etc. HERE is a little article I wrote on the subject.

You should consider what type of show setting you are going to as well. Some people I've seen use an RV that they camp in if it is in a place where RVs are allowed, to save on hotel fees. In a city, you'll have to think about available parking for your vehicle.  For example, a trailer in a parking garage costs a lot more than just a regular vehicle. When you apply to a show, check out whether or not they have dedicated parking for you. 

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester that worked for me as long as used my Tetris skills to pack it. I got a 2005 Honda Odyssey minivan now as well (for free from downsizing parents, thanks mom and dad!) that is also comfy, as @GEP says. I can now leave tables and shelves in there since I have another car to drive. 

+1 for the minivan, as much as it makes 20 year old me want to yell at my current self!

All of the reasons Mea mentions above are the same ones for me. Comfortable drive, easier to park in cities, and you can stuff that sucker with a LOT of pots. 

Last year we traded in our ‘07 Honda Odyssey for a ‘16 Chrysler Pacifica.  The Odyssey’s automatic doors were going, and it didn’t owe me anything. The new one was mostly chosen for its availability, but I’m very much in love with the factory remote start that also turns on the heated seats and steering wheel. It’s got a few inches more of cargo space than the Honda, and I’m surprised how much that affects how efficiently you can pack it. I can get way more in. 

I do not participate in as many shows as some of these folks, but I can pack my Subaru Outback fairly tightly.  No room for passengers.  I did a larger show a few years ago and my husband came along to help so we used his Chevy 1/2 ton pickup.  I have 6 ft long shelves that break down and fit perfectly in the Subaru.  

Right now it’s a Nissan Frontier pickup truck with a camper shell. My regular day to day vehicle. The eight foot shelves stick out the back, but all the furnishings fit in the bed, and I pack the seats with boxes of pots. I don’t travel any great distance to do shows, just a couple a year, in town. Many years ago it was a Ford Aerostar minivan. That thing was awesome, I took out the passenger seats and it was huge. I could fit a whole sheet of plywood in it. 

I used to know many folks with those Astro minivans doing shows. Seems at some point I learned to super size the inventory of pottery and never run out of stock-that was the beginning  of greater profits and larger vehicles to hold so lots of stock. That idea really worked well for me for over 25 years.You laerned what the show limits where and what to take in larger volumes

Edited by Mark C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Most of us use a trailer or a van to transport our ceramics to shows. We usually use a few dollies, or a hand-truck, to move the ceramics from the vehicle to the booth. We use drapes, rugs, and signs to decorate the booth and make it look inviting. We usually use a few crates or boxes to organize our ceramics in the booth and make it easier for customers to find what they're looking for. We also use a few tables or stands to showcase our work.

• 3 weeks later...

when looking for a vehicle, take your largest piece of display with you to make sure it will work inside whatever you buy.   i always used clay boxes for pots.  they are from standard clay and 6 of them fit in the foot space behind my seat and the passenger seat.   i know some folks use those big rubber tubs but they are much too heavy and take up a lot of room.   i do not use standard clay, the nearby shared studio buys a lot and i get the empty boxes.

i loved my  02 ford escape because i removed the back seats and fitted a carpet remnant all the way across the back.  i got a prius hatchback last summer and found it worked also.   though i do miss the places on the side wall that i used to bungee cord the wire shelf supports so they stood upright.  the front passenger foot space holds the large round basket of quick sellers.  it can hold 100 pieces and a bath towel keeps them very quiet  while i drive to the show.

Edited by oldlady

You might want to consider cargo space if you know you want to use a vehicle to do a lot of markets. Keep an eye on that number when shopping. Heated seats are nice and all, but if your vehicle is a PIA to pack, it’s just going to cause stress.

You  don’t mention the model of the mom wagon, but the Mercedes model E All Terrain has a listed cargo capacity of between 640 and 1800 L (ish), or about 22-63 cu ft for the Imperial users. My Pacifica has 32.3 cu ft just behind the third seat, and if I fold down both rows of seating, I can get 140 (ish) sq ft. My setup is very lightweight and compact, and because my 4 day sales are all indoor ones, I don’t need to pack a canopy. I have full use of my rear view mirror.

I have some friends who initially bought a crossover, thinking that they didn’t really want a full sized SUV but wanted the packing space for doing markets. They found it to be quite cramped and difficult to pack, especially when you don’t have the patience to Tetris everything perfectly after 4 days of selling. They wished they’d gotten something with more cargo space, and I believe they did go with something larger when it came time to purchase their next vehicle. 

On 2/15/2023 at 9:02 AM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

You  don’t mention the model of the mom wagon, but the Mercedes model E All Terrain has a listed cargo capacity of between 640 and 1800 L (ish), or about 22-63 cu ft for the Imperial users. My Pacifica has 32.3 cu ft just behind the third seat, and if I fold down both rows of seating, I can get 140 (ish) sq ft. My setup is very lightweight and compact, and because my 4 day sales are all indoor ones, I don’t need to pack a canopy. I have full use of my rear view mirror.

Yes she’s got the E350, it’s definitely not as roomy as a minivan but it got the job done. I’m still quite new and those were my two first markets, I’m only growing a bit this summer. I’m 22 and just don’t think I can stomach the minivan life at this point… I also have to commute to school for at least another semester. Currently looking for a VW tdi wagon for the mileage and because the capacity is just enough for my set up at this point! Pretty much everything I’ll be doing down here I. Georgia is outdoors and requires a tent. 

I LOVE MY MINIVAN!!!!!!!! It is so functional, not just for a pottery business. Some people thought I was strange for wanting to get one, but I was like “look at that cargo space sign me up!!!!!” 

It helps that most of my friends are either potters or art fair artists, and in this subculture a minivan is considered sexy. 

Edited by GEP

I love my Mini van as well holds about 80 boxes and booth and payload is 2 tons

Space case hold two canopies and custom top box hold full size Pro Panels-16 mpg no matter what you have in it.

It snugs into a 20 foot parking place with inches to spare. It has a great turning radius -when you leave your driveway you start turning towards the state you wish to end up in and in a day or two you are there.It purrs on cruise control for 400  miles before needing to fill up. Loves to run on straight aways. It has a metal cage so if you are in wreck the load will not kill you (I know someone that that happened to once). It got all the safety features of a special order van in 2010.Rear has interior liner on walls and e-track wall system to hold stuff. Electric drivers seat.Most smaller  electric cars will fit inside it as a bonus feature. Love the mini vans-this is my second one in 22 years and will be my last.

IMG_5242.jpeg.6d3183d598129e061a6dbbf870e3bae2.jpeg

Edited by Mark C.

Wow that cargo van can really hold a lot!   I had PT cruisers for 20 years,  I traded my last one in 2022,   If you took the back seats out it had a flat floor and you could fit 8ft boards by sliding into the front.   I packed it to the ceiling many times and even moved my large kiln in it and friends houses.  You could register it as a truck if you wanted to pay more taxes.  I will have a 65 El Camino  to use when my husband gets it painted,  it is easy to load  much lower than new trucks and has a metal bed cover.   It won't have a heated steering wheel but it will have a custom leather interior and  air conditioning.   Denice

• 1 month later...