Jump to content

Help Identifying Method of Application for Art Piece

Recommended Posts

Hello there, 

I have a piece of artwork bought at an estate sale and am having some trouble identifying the method and material used. I believe it is tooled clay that has been mounted on a piece of paper and then applied with colored glaze. 

As you can probably tell I'm not a ceramicist!  Would any of you experts be able to confirm this or be able to identify method and material was used?
I appreciate you time!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Katie, 

I love a good mystery. Given the description and photograph I’m afraid I can’t say much though. There’s a lot of things it “could” be.

More photos would be helpful, pictures of the edges, the back, and perhaps with something for scale.

Also measurements: length, width, and weight.

Finally, tap it gently with a pencil. What does it sound like?

Those details may help people sleuth out what you’ve got. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Katie N said:

I believe it is tooled clay that has been mounted on a piece of paper and then applied with colored glaze. 

If unfired clay was it was mounted on paper you couldn't then fire either the clay or a glaze without damaging the paper, so probably not ceramic.

Maybe gesso was used to create the the texture and then painted? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gess
... nowadays there are a variety of other "textural mediums", often combined with the use of acrylic paints.

Historically gesso was often used used to create texture on picture frames.

PS Like Babs I'm a little surprised if it is on paper, but ...
When you apply gesso to paper, it will wrinkle and warp as the paper’s fibers expand. If you use a heavy enough paper, it will flatten out nicely as it dries. But if the paper is too light, it will never dry completely flat. For this reason I recommend at least 140 lb. paper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting puzzle! The decoration looks like it was applied coils or extrusions. Looking closely you can see gaps between areas in joins looking much like enamel cloisonné. Is it ceramic? I really don't, know, but it has a rubbed off surface on some of the strips that looks like plaster or ceramic.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pres said:

looking much like enamel cloisonn

Watercolor Cloisonne Process https://karensioson.com/watercolor-cloisonne-process/

Seems as good a name for it as any other. Some sort of texture medium, and some sort of paint.

... and a suitable subject and significant skill/dexterity.

Edited by PeterH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks, pres, that is exactly what i was going to suggest.  some kind of thick acrylic  or white glue that was applied the way angelica shows on that DVD.    white glue leaves holes where air is in the stream if it is very thickly applied.   maybe thick acrylic paint with the same application.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.