Crack Diagnosis?

ABlanc

Is there a doctor in the house? (Wish my first post was not about cracks!)

The details: B Mix with clear glaze, no cracks after bisque on this particular piece, happened after glaze firing. However, other similar pieces in design have come out of bisque with hair line fractures. There was plenty of drying time and no visible cracking while drying with any of the pieces.

Any ideas?

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4950.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4951.JPG

@ABlanc Considering the type of crack, and the crazing of the glaze, IMHO this is a cooling dunt, where the kiln was cooled a little to quickly for large flat pieces of this sort. I used to get some cooling dunts in the early years from overzealous cooling of the kiln, or opening too soon.  How are you firing the kiln? Is it on a kiln setter, or a controller with a ramp up and down set up?

best,

Pres 

Hi @ABlanc and welcome to the forum.

It's hard to tell for sure on your images but is the glaze edge rounded over along the cracks? Looks like it might be, especially on the last image on the far right side of the crack. If so then those cracks were there before the pots started cooling down, probably in the bisque or greenware.

Are you wedging the clay before rolling your slabs? It is a misconception that clay is perfect straight out of the bag. The pugging process during production of the clay body introduces spiral tension/compression rings in the block, which if rolled straight into a slab could result in latent fractures along those rings.

We are doing a ramp up and down during firing - we have other work that is for sure cracking due to dunting so we added a ramp down on everything. 

I will check if the glaze edge is rounded over when back in the studio tomorrow. We certainly have other pieces that are just like this in design - large flat wall hanging pieces - that are coming out of bisque with hair line fractures. This particular piece didn’t appear to have any cracks after bisque though. 

We are not wedging this kind of flat slab work out of the bag. That is interesting to think about.  

One thought I had was if it was somehow due to the clay being high fire and the glaze being low fire and the mismatch of that. The clay is thus being under fired. Also B mix might just not be the best choice for large flat surfaces? 

Okay! Back to tearing my hair out!

1 hour ago, Dick White said:

Are you wedging the clay before rolling your slabs? It is a misconception that clay is perfect straight out of the bag. The pugging process during production of the clay body introduces spiral tension/compression rings in the block, which if rolled straight into a slab could result in latent fractures along those rings.

It's funny you should mention this. I was using a bag of clay today that had sat around for about a year, still lovely and soft but those rings from the pugger's auger really showed up in it. When this clay is "fresher" they don't show at all (even though they are still there).

IMG_2181.jpeg.245d8a220e15b05e0184fabf9a2a4c52.jpeg

6 minutes ago, ABlanc said:

One thought I had was if it was somehow due to the clay being high fire and the glaze being low fire and the mismatch of that. The clay is thus being under fired.

Don't think low fire glaze firing would crack the pots like that. Does the crazing bother you or are you okay with it given the pieces are decorative?

10 minutes ago, ABlanc said:

Also B mix might just not be the best choice for large flat surfaces? 

With grog or sand might be a better choice.

looks like a cooling crack to me

Also high fire body is not mature and a bit punky also amy be a factor ?

The high fire clay, low fire   glaze is not an issue with moisture  weeping?

can you explain the forming technique as this could be the factor ?

Looks a bit like toilet lid-what is the size of the piece?

Edited by Mark C.

Those spirals, wow, interesting how you can really see them there. We like the crazing and the reason we are under firing is because we like the color of this clear low fire glaze paired with the creamy color of the B mix. And the B mix is just always available. We did order some with grog to test out, still waiting for it. 

Definitely not a toilet seat lol. It’s a wall sconce or will be. It’s about about 12 inches in length and only sits off the all about an inch. The back side “walls” are for hiding LEDs/horse hair - see pic. Those walls are slab strips cut and attached to the back.  Here is pic of similar sized finished piece. Our success rate (I.e. no cracks) has been dismal with these pieces. They either crack like this or have hairline cracks after bisque. 

E03974AA-E0C1-4647-860E-E4AA3BEEC5F8.jpeg

I was making large wall hanging pieces with B Mix 5 and it just doesn't want to be that large and flat. I ended up going with paper clay. I first mixed my own batch of it but ended up buying premade.  Jerry Bennett of Philadelphia has an online course for making paper clay that I found very helpful. I still use the paper clay for bisqued press molds and things that want to warp. 

2 hours ago, ABlanc said:

They either crack like this or have hairline cracks after bisque.

This is making me think that it’s more likely something that’s happening in the forming stages, and the ones that work may still have hidden flaws. According to Hamer and Hamer, dunting often starts with how a piece is made, whether it happens in the cooling or on the heat up. 

One way to confirm this would be to take any bisqued pieces you have and do a ping test. Just flick it and see if it rings or if it clicks. Click=crack you can’t see.

15 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

One way to confirm this would be to take any bisqued pieces you have and do a ping test. Just flick it and see if it rings or if it clicks. Click=crack you can’t see.

I have been using this test for years with patens/plates, as there are times a hairline crack cannot be seen, but can be heard!

best,

Pres

I think B mix is the wrong clay for this. It does not slab well (staying flat) like to cracks as well and drys super uneven.

I work in porcelain 95% when I need to do slab work I choose other white  bodies

I make larger press molded baking dishes -that body is white -its 1/2 porcealin and 1/2 wso called 1/2 and 1/2 the WC number is 382. Its made for slab torture.

I suggest a body thats more up to the task any white body with finer white grog will work as well.

I also will add as other below me on the waster  slabs or sand or grog to allow the slab to move as it shrinks in the fire

Edited by Mark C.

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

I think B mix is the wrong clay for this. It does not slab well (staying flat) like to cracks as well and drys super uneven.

I work in porcelain 95% when I need to do slab work I choose other white  bodies

I make larger press molded baking dishes -that body is white -its 1/2 porcealin and 1/2 wso called 1/2 and 1/2 the WC number is 382. Its made for slab torture.

I suggest a body thats more up to the task any white boidy with finer white grog will work as well.

This was what I was worried would be the ultimate answer. I say that because we really want to use our low fire glaze and also have the clay fire to a buff color, not white. 

To pick up on what the Pres mentioned...my gut tells me the slab is being overworked. (In the making process.) Too many "walls" are being attached and its causing stress in the firing. The walls may be necessary for strength and to hide things, but the attachment process is too stressful. Can I presume the slab is flat on a surface and you're pressing the walls into it? The question would be how can you reduce the stress when going thru this process?

My gut tells me you should create a form that is intact on its own, essentially, and then put the shaped slab OVER it. That way taking stress off the slab itself.

Another thought here would be to salt the kiln shelf with grog both for the bisque and the glaze firing. It may, not guaranteed,  ease the stress enough. I used to keep a salt shaker with grog in it to salt the shelves when teaching in HS. It requires vacuuming carefully afterward, but in many case was helpful.

best,

Pres 

6 hours ago, ABlanc said:

Those spirals, wow, interesting how you can really see them there. We like the crazing and the reason we are under firing is because we like the color of this clear low fire glaze paired with the creamy color of the B mix. And the B mix is just always available. We did order some with grog to test out, still waiting for it. 

One thing to add a good glaze fit generally strengthens the ware. Crazed glazes can weaken it by providing a nice starting path for any defect to occur. Depending on the joinery, this shape is hard to build and keep the shrinkage rates reasonably the same. I am curious to the order of assembly making these and if any molds were used.

How are you drying this multi layered slab?

What is your firing schedule?

Had a teacher who said many times, to non listening teenagers, " It is not the material but the operator", i.e. the process, design etc being applied so before troting down to the store, check your steps, or it could be Murphy....

Happening all over your kiln?

Edited by Babs

I agree with @Bill Kielb about the crazing being a weak area.  And I agree with everyone that mentioned Bmix 5 not being the best clay choice.  If you can find something off white or buff with grog in it, that might reduce some errors.  Anytime I have tried to put a "notch" in a flat piece, it seems to give me a weak area for cracking.  I am able to get an off white clay (Laguna) via Denver that is groggy and truly bullet proof.  Very forgiving.  If you can find something of that nature, you might be able to execute that design which I LOVE btw! clever idea!