QotW: When reading the posts on forums do you have a tendency to like detailed information in long form or quick fix with supporting information?

Hi folks, nothing new in the pool of late, so I will pose a question for  you. I notice that there are a wide range of personalities and posting styles out there, and thought about myself and my tendency to be ADHD, and wanting to be a nice guy. When it comes to looking for answers, I look for quick answers with a background just enough to get me to figure things out my way. I notice that I tend to have the same posting style, offering a solution and my reasoning/ supportive information afterward. To cut the long short:

QotW: When reading the posts on forums do you have a tendency to like detailed information in long form or quick fix with supporting information?

best,

Pres

4 hours ago, Pres said:

I believe the character of the question is a bit leading
I would say appropriate form and as detailed as practical. As a teacher my saying was quick information travels fastest often because it took the least effort to convey, least effort to learn, least reasoning, and usually addressed the least number of reasonable possibilities. If someone takes the time and effort to address possibilities, one of two things usually can happen. The user reads and respects the effort to construct the answer or they dismiss it as being too detailed and disrespect it. Just my observation though.

Edited by Bill Kielb

"Haven't got time to write you a short letter, so I'll write you a long one"

The OP often wants just a yes,  personally I like to receive and read the reasons why, and poss results etc. Have learned so much from others questions and answers given.

The only short answer..."It depends"

Such openness and generosity are amazing

@Mark C. such irony!

4 hours ago, Babs said:

"Haven't got time to write you a short letter, so I'll write you a long one"

+1! It's easy to be verbose, being concise takes much more finesse.

Pres's question of the week has a lot of similarities to a post I did a few years back asking new members to give us an idea of their experience / knowledge in relation to the question they are asking. Information overload is going to do nothing but confuse people who come here for a simple answer to a basic question. 

There is always room here for lengthy questions, statements and replies as there are many potters on this forum with decades of experience and expertise;  finding the balance between what should probably be answered with a simple reply vs a lengthy one is key.

While my ADHD does appreciate and love a good technical info dump, I think we have to be mindful to tailor our answers to the working level of the person asking the original question. I’m trying these days to tailor my answers so they’re more concise, but provide reference links if anyone wants expanded information. I know I am often guilty of the long letter. 

I love that we get people from all levels of experience and working styles on the forum, and I think there’s an art to replying to questions so that they meet the OP’s needs and circumstances. 

There are questions that require a long answer. And then there are answers that are long because the answerer did not really take the time to understand the question. and is just dumping information, relevant or not. Then there are long answers that don’t actually contain much information, just a lot of words. I appreciate the first kind but not the second or third. 

My favorite answers are the ones that are both useful and concise.

• Pres unpinned this topic