Where to set the test tiles

Hi Folks...As many of you know, I've been glazing almost exclusively with Amaco Potter's Choice glazes at ^6. I decided to try one of Laguna's black clays which can't be fired higher than ^5. Soooo...I'm going to fire about 3 dozen test tiles to ^5 and would like to get your input on where to place them in my electric kiln. Should they all go on one shelf or be spread over multiple shelves? If on one shelf, at the bottom, middle, or top of the kiln? All this is to find out if there is a difference in the look of the glazes between ^5 and ^6. I like my ^6 products but am open to experimentation and am looking forward to the ^5 outcome. What do you think?

I fired a bunch of test glazes at cone 6 on a black clay,  all but two of them boiled and blister.  Flaky Lime Green turned into a metallic pewter and the clear was okay,   I decided not to work with it.    I still have some of the black clay in my studio.  I am going to use some of it for black rocks in the landscape mural I am working on.   Good Luck!     Denice

I would think that the best placement for test tiles is all over the kiln. At the same time you might want to put witness cones in the same areas to really get an idea of exactly what is happening at various temps. . . we all know there are hot and cold spots in any kiln. This way you would be able to determine the limits of the clay vs. temp. Hope I am making sense?? Of course all IMHO!

best,

Pres

+1 to scattering them in the kiln and using cones next to them. If you are making pots that will contain liquid I would also fire some test pieces to cone 5 with no glaze then measure the porosity. If you don't want to do that then at least I would make some little flat bottomed cylinders about the same thickness are your pots are and fire those without glaze to cone 5 then fill them with water and set them on a piece of newsprint for several days then check the newsprint for any wrinkling or moisture. If the paper is damp or wrinkled the clay has leaked and wouldn't be suitable for those type of pots.