Home studio set up

Hi everyone! So I have taken a couple ceramics classes and am in love with the craft. I am an illustrator who works digital so it’s such a nice change of pace and gives me a break from the computer. Anyways, I really want to set up a small studio in my basement to keep practicing throwing..so what I’m curious is what all should I look into for a basement space? I’m not interested in a kiln right away since I’m still just trying to nail down wheel throwing and I can always take pieces to a local place to fire if needed. 

Hi Lindsay, welcome to the forum. 

I understand your interest here, as I was a HS teacher who taught mostly Ceramics classes. However, in the mid 80's a music colleague of mine and I wrote a grant to put in a computer studio for the arts in the school. I started teaching computer graphics courses with an emphasis on animation, 2D and 3D. Retired in 2009, I still fiddle with Corel Draw, Blender and several other graphics programs. Natural transition for me as they(ceramics, and CGI) are often the same beast. . . 3D.

As to a studio, you are on the right track, if you are interested in throwing, but you may want to get yourself a solid work area to try some handbuilding on.

best,

Pres

5 hours ago, LindsayScott said:

so what I’m curious is what all should I look into for a basement space? I’m not interested in a kiln right away since I’m still just trying to nail down wheel throwing and I can always take pieces to a local place to fire if needed. 

If you are just wanting to throw for now I'd set up your space so you are carrying the clay the least possible distance from where you bring it into the house. Having a laundry sink with a drain sink trap so you don't clog your pipes is really helpful, especially if you have running hot water. If you don't have a sink then you can use a couple of buckets of water to wash your hands and tools, one for the really mucky stuff and one to rinse in. (keep the slip and throwing water to add to your reclaimed clay to prevent it getting short (not so plastic). Shelving to put your pots on, a sturdy table to wedge on, a floor that can easily and frequently be mopped down and a stool that is ergonomically comfortable if you throw sitting down. An anti fatigue mat if you throw standing up. 

More comfort: good lighting, overhead and side light in agreeable colours; air, fresh and comfortable temperature; music/radio/podcast or whatever you like, including silence (I usually put on my favourite locally produced public radio shows streamed via old laptop connected to 5.1 surround sound), chairs.

All Min said, and more buckets, large sponges, rags, lots - once any clay has dried on a rag, grab a new one, for clay on cloth becomes airborne dust.
Stay ahead of the dust!

+1 for all comments about moppability! Easy cleanup is important. In addition, if you have a separate room as opposed to a corner of an open basement, have a pair of studio shoes that go onto your feet religiously when you enter the room, and come off when you leave it, even to go across the hall for water. This will make sure dust doesn’t get tracked through the rest of your house. 

If your basement is dark, a coat of white paint is something I’d really recommend. Also, you will never be sad about additional task lighting. 

Don’t let your reclaim get too far ahead of you. A larger reclaim bin is not the good idea it may seem like on paper. Do small batches more frequently if you can. 

All of the above, plus be hyper well-organized, plan ahead for work flow activity stations, be very space conscious (you will need more than you think), and get as many furnishings with wheels, as possible. One of my most useful space savers are those wheeled 2-3 shelf plastic units that are only 8" wide, 30" H & 24" long & hold tons of stuff.  A Smart Speaker mounted up toward the ceiling (away from clay) to crank out your personally curated Studio Playlist and favorite podcasts is fun, too.