Sawdust firing in a gas kiln

I'd like to try to do a sawdust firing in a sagar in my gas kiln (7 cu ft).  I would like to retain the burnishing on the piece which will have been bisque fired to a low temperature to retain the burnish.  What cone should I go to for the sawdust firing?

Thanks, Lin

Look at the black potas made by Maria Martinez and her people and their method.

Fired outside to be sure but the colour of the  fire, animal pancakes, would lead me to believe it would be no higher than low 900 or lower....

Thanks folks.  I'll try somewhere around 1300F.  I've done sawdust firings in an outdoor kiln but just now they are not doing them so I thought it would be fun to see what would happen in a saggar in my kiln.  Lin

This question may be related, and I hope for good advice. I would like to fire some bizen clay "bizen style", in a gas kiln.  One idea is to enclosed the pieces--with salt-soaked grasses tied around them-- in a saggar-like box, and with chunks of pine wood packed around them.  Any thoughts on whether this will approximate the unique bizen look?  Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I finally got to fire my burnished pieces.  3 of them were wrapped  with banana and clementine peels, stuffed with cedar chips, animal bedding and other sawdust and surrounded with more wood chips. then wrapped in a paper bag to keep everything together. They were then placed into old paint cans and placed in the kiln lid down.  2 of these came out completely black which was what I was going for.  The third was in a can which evidently wasn't metal.  That was a big surprise.  I had no idea that paint cans were made of anything other than metal.  The can disappeared, evaporated? and the pot was as bisqued.  The kiln was fired to cone 018.

The 4th pot was stuffed and wrapped as above.  I then wrapped it in heavy duty al. foil.  As it was an almost completely closed ikebana pot about 9"x4" I had to find something other than a paint can.  I found an old cast iron enameled  casserole that it just fitted into but it had no lid.  The casserole was to save the shelf in case anything bad happened.  The last pot was done as above and wrapped in foil and set on a waster plate.  These pots sat inside the open door of my kiln shed for a few hours.  When I next looked at them there had been a couple of holes pecked in the foil.  Blasted crows which know that al. foil usually means food!  I recovered them, covered the top of the casserole with al. foil (had lost the lid)and fired the kiln.

These last 2 did not get as much carbon as the paint can ones but the big one is pretty good.  I'll wax them with bees wax next then seeif anyone likes them.

Sorry about not providing pictures.  That's just not in my skill set.

Lin

This can seemed to be all plastic except the rim, the lid and the handle.  I feel bad about burning plastic and wouldn't have if I had had a clue that it was plastic. I know that sounds strange but it looked and felt like any other paint can and was covered with  dry paint inside. The outside seemed normal. Lin

I'll keep that in mind although I don't think I'll be doing this again. I used to have access to a once/year sawdust firing and had made these for a firing at least 4 years ago.  Then those firing were not allowed  because of the very dry conditions, then COVID and now they seem to have fallen off the radar.  Thus the experiment in the kiln  I'm satisfied with the results of 3 pieces and the other 2 will make it into a regular glaze firing.  Lin