QoTW:  How much air movement do you have in your studio, do you use fans, is cleaning to reduce blown dust part of your process?

Hi Folks. . . Wow!!! Someone has posted two possible questions in the QotW pool!! 

@Hulkasked:

QoTW:  How much air movement do you have in your studio, do you use fans, is cleaning to reduce blown dust part of your process?

Hulk actually goes on to describe much of his process here: 

The winds here typically ramp up over the course of the day, peaking late afternoon 15-25 mph from the Northwest* in the dry season, somewhat less in the wet season. There are variations, particularly the hot/dry winds from the east/southeast, and wet/rainy from the south/southwest.

With the doors closed, the air in my Studio is rather static.

Any road, when a breeze whips through the Studio, it will pick up dust! Hence, I'll pop on the P100 afore opening the doors, if it's breezy out, run the mop and sponge, then hang the P100 back up on its hook once it's aired out a bit.

I don't use fans in the Studio.

Cleaning up - so that what is on the floor, working surfaces, storage surfaces, etc. doesn't get blown about - it is part of my process.

*capitalized on account o' the NW wind is the boss here on the Central Coast!

My thanks to Hulk for making this weeks job easier as I am in the midst of taxes!

best,

Pres

• Pres changed the title to QoTW:  How much air movement do you have in your studio, do you use fans, is cleaning to reduce blown dust part of your process?

I have a small fan in front of my heating/air conditioning vents,  they  tucked beneath a countertop and need some help .   I put a fan in the kiln room window to exhaust some of the heat out side when I fire .   I don't even open the windows in the summer,  I live in Kansas more dust  outside than inside my studio.  I clean the area I am working in but I don't tackle every area of the studio.    Denice

No fans.  I bought a eheat Envi wall heater for my space last year.  I have been so happy with it.  Puts out a nice even heat with no fans.  Our winter has been pretty cold this year.  Glad to have the heater.    Since my work space is in the basement, even with 100 degree plus weather, it stays relatively cool. So I don't need a fan in the summer.  I do have a pet spot cleaner that I use for windowsills and corners and places I cannot easily mop.  It sucks up the dust nicely. 

i keep my studios pretty clean and i love fresh air.  windows are usually open if the temp is warm enough.  ac is on in the hot summer if i am working.  yes, i use fans, one in the window in the door in florida blows past me and since the space is not large and it is only a 10 inch fan, the air movement is gentle.  i avoid making dust and move anything that produces much of it outside where i work away from any openings into the studios.

i figure it takes 30 years to get sick from silicosis and at 81, i do not care if i get it at age 111.

My home has forced air heating, so my studio has a heating vent in the ceiling. Because my studio is pretty close to the furnace that blows air through the whole house, I have to keep things pretty clean. As much as everyone seems to hate mopping, it’s gotta happen on the regular. 

I don't have a fan, in the shop, only an electric heater that has a blower. This takes care of keeping the shop warm when I am working in there, but I shut it off unless expecting a hard freeze. All in all, the garage is tough to clean completely as there is much storage in upper shelving and lots of tools not ceramics related. Cleaning floors, wheel, and other tools is the extent of my cleaning, and I do try to keep up on that.

best,

Pres

I have a high tech delta air handler with small micron filters , but only use it when making glaze. I do have a small squirrel  cage that I use every few years if I forget to heat the shop before going to in winter .It blows heat down in throwing room from ceiling. The gas heater has no fan . The shop has two roofs and is insulated so it cool in summer and with a gas heater warm in winter. If I need to let heat in or out the shop has two door and we leave them open when needed -like loading kilns. I like the open door as it into a kiln covered area so spring and fall its open.

In the winter with heater on and off the layers vary in shop as to the drying levels and needs. I use the heater for the cycle of pots more than my own comfort.When I need them dry its 90 inside and we work in that when its no rush its 70 T short weather is my favorite temp for winter shop-summewr as cool as I can get it. If iot gets any hotter here near the coast I will install a small Mr cool like the two in house already.(they heat and cool)

Closed at night. In warm summers doors are closed to keep it cool. No fan.

Edited by Mark C.

I forgot to mention my shop vacuum system -its a house vacuum mounted outside  with a dust deputy (gets the solids into a small drum) and then into a whole house vacuum canister  with a hepa bag then inside is  a 2 inch hose like a shop vac that plugs into a fitting near sink. The dust and noise is all outside. Its a great tool. It ate thru motors until I wired a new style motor which is new and I'm testing. I buy the motors thru Amazon with a warranty so I can replace for low cost.. The new style blows the  fine dust out the sides not thru the motor-we shall see how long the brushes last-as the fines kill them fast. Never had one make it past 6 months.

Edited by Mark C.

• Pres unpinned this topic