Garlic Keeper Roaster thingy

One of my customers asked me to make a "garlic keeper", but what she described was a garlic "roaster". She specifically wanted the tray and dome type, not a jar with a lid. Took me a couple of tries to get the right amount of clay, ended up using 9oz for the tray and 12 for the dome. It was nice to end up with a form not too far off the one we have at home, made me feel like a "real" potter, at least a little pride in my skills anyway.

Have you guys ever made these? I am thinking of adding them to my line up.

20211123_111302_HDR_2.jpg.0151db787a604606681040e02169ac63.jpg

Nice work, I like the handle on your one on the right, curving in a bit like it does will make it easier to grab with hot mitts. If you are going to glaze the outside of the dome I would make the holes a bit bigger, might save them glazing over.

I’ve not made the roasters before, but I get a lot of requests for larger keepers, because I work a farmer’s market in the summer. If you need to put holes in jars, I recommend a 3/8” drill bit, and a drill that isn’t too heavy.

Congrats on working out a form you like! The one on the right looks like a really nice lid fit. 

I make a ton of roasters but they are exactly the same as my covered butterdish only they have a garlic roaster hang tag with instructions. That alone sells them 2 to one over a plain butterdish. Clay is porcelain cone 10-I oven test it and its tough

I also make the keepers which are the same pot as a honey pot only with a solid lid and some holes in side-these also are diet sugar bowls as the suger spills out as well

Thanks Lee, she seemed to know the difference but really wanted her keeper to be a dome. Seems like it would keep as well as a jar with holes,  just won't hold as much. I am planning on refining it so it's big enough to hold 3 cloves, and adding the mica so they can use it in the oven. Once these are fired I'm going to use them on my grill and see how well my clay holds up.

Thanks Callie, I was happy with the one on the right, and I did use a drill to make the holes bigger. I use a drill for my berry bowls and it makes nice clean holes.

Mark, that is too funny, just change the name and people see it totally different. "Diet" sugar bowl... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a sales tip

I have made up this back to back sheet which I print on card stock. I cut the small info labels and hole punch them and tie with green string onto the lids of the pots. so they hang  (I do not put holes in lids as its not needed). I'll take a photo in future of finished product.-its my busy season so time is limited.

These tags sell the work so they are worth making. Use my idea which is partly from others who came before me.

IMG_4467.jpeg

IMG_4468.jpeg

Archived