Portable Wheel for Demo purpose

I am looking for a good, compact and light wheel for demo purposes.  I know about the Speedball Artista and Shimpo Aspire.  Does anyone know of any other alternatives?  I like the idea of a treddle wheel, but they are really pricy and I am not sure they are very portable.

A treadle wheel is probably the least portable wheel besides a kick wheel. They're large and heavy. I've used the Artista on several occasions and it works well. If you don't want something as small as a tabletop wheel, look at a low end/low horsepower regular electric wheel. The smaller the motor the lighter it will be, however it will still be a lot heavier and bulkier than a truly portable model, and will probably take two people to carry. The Brent IE has removable legs that will make it a little more compact.

When demonstrating for different HS, arts festivals, and elementary schools, I always carried my CXC to the site in the trunk of my Mazda 3 or other vehicle. I would carry the wheel in in one trip, and carry the clay and tools in another trip. I still pick the wheel up to carry it to my preferred outside area when working on nice days. . . .always wearing a hat. It is doable, and at the same time I had the power to whow the audience with larger pots. HS students that have had some experience on the wheel do not respond well to throwing a mug form or so, but put 10# on the wheel and you get their attention.

best,

Pres

8 hours ago, jimfetzer said:

I am looking for a good, compact and light wheel for demo purposes.  I know about the Speedball Artista and Shimpo Aspire.  Does anyone know of any other alternatives?  I like the idea of a treddle wheel, but they are really pricy and I am not sure they are very portable.

I have used both and liked the Artista best as if it has the leg addition you can pretty much demonstrate as if it was a normal wheel so setup is convenient. It also has a reasonable amount of power so there is that. Treddle ............. not so convenient zI would think.

Quark looks like a Kickstarter new product so finding a user this new will be hard. I have never heard of them. They do look slick-lets hope they stick around (company lasts long enough to stick) In this pandemic wheels are all backordered for many many months.

I have the Shimpo Aspire.  It's a great little machine, except, the bat pins won't fit the bats I have.  We are going to make some that will fit.  I have also heard very good comments about the Artista.  I have never heard of the Quark!  Interesting!  

@jimfetzerif someone is trying to run a true potter's wheel on a battery, that battery would be as big as a battleship.    look for the telling word in their advertising to let you know it is a cheap knockoff from china.   i do not want to use that word in case they find out that using it is a huge clue to worthlessness.  another clue is whether the item comes in a choice of colors of paint on the wheel.   potters do not care about color which is only a marketing feature. 

Archived