Can you leave earthenware raw on the outside?

smesa

9 hours ago, Sorcery said:

I would do it. Nothing wrong with a little patina. I was researching some glazes the other day and found this.

1366872462_Capture_2021-02-04-07-00-04.jpg.4c034928a2f4bb5398effc19f914b6a4.jpg

Here.

http://karatsupots.com/wordpress/tag/glazes

Leave it Raw! 

Sorce

This is super pretty! I do like the look of these in particular but with marbled clays I may enjoy them more if they stay the colors they are. Thank you for sharing this technique, I will definitely try it on some other pieces :)

It's hard to tell from the images @Sorcery posted whether or not those cups are glazed both inside and out or not. Couldn't find any information on the linked website. They could be glazed and from either crazing or underfiring the glaze they have acquired a patina / staining with use. @smesa, if you do decide to only use a liner glaze and leave the outside of the pots unglazed you run the risk of the pots dunting (a crack through the glaze and body of the pot) unless the glaze is an extremely good fit to the body it's on. Other issue with only using a liner glaze on earthenware is the porosity one. It won't take long for the clay to take up water from doing the washing up etc. The pots will get extremely hot in the microwave as the damp claybody heats up. Delayed crazing is very likely going to happen. Any oils, fats etc that are used in the pots will enter the body and cause rancidity as they can't be effectively washed out of the claybody. If you do want to only use a liner glaze I would suggest using claybodies that have close to zero porosity and do some testing to check for very good glaze fit so the pots don't dunt. 

On 2/3/2021 at 11:16 AM, oldlady said:

it can look a little like that with the right glaze application.   look for something in your firing range that is described as either matte or satin finish.  the right glaze can make the pot comfortable to handle and sanitary.

I took your advice and glazed them with a matte clear glaze. Wow! The soft bisque colors stayed put. Thank you :)

326EB7A3-5B74-47CC-83A5-8E845131E7AC.jpeg

BD92B0F4-A981-4510-84BD-3E3B9CB69762.jpeg

On 2/5/2021 at 12:01 PM, Min said:

It's hard to tell from the images @Sorcery posted whether or not those cups are glazed both inside and out or not. Couldn't find any information on the linked website. They could be glazed and from either crazing or underfiring the glaze they have acquired a patina / staining with use. @smesa, if you do decide to only use a liner glaze and leave the outside of the pots unglazed you run the risk of the pots dunting (a crack through the glaze and body of the pot) unless the glaze is an extremely good fit to the body it's on. Other issue with only using a liner glaze on earthenware is the porosity one. It won't take long for the clay to take up water from doing the washing up etc. The pots will get extremely hot in the microwave as the damp claybody heats up. Delayed crazing is very likely going to happen. Any oils, fats etc that are used in the pots will enter the body and cause rancidity as they can't be effectively washed out of the claybody. If you do want to only use a liner glaze I would suggest using claybodies that have close to zero porosity and do some testing to check for very good glaze fit so the pots don't dunt. 

Great tips, thank you :) i’m a super beginner and all this info really helps! 

20 hours ago, oldlady said:

glad you like them.   now to find out if the glaze is durable for use.

btw, use only 3 posts for your kiln shelves so they stay level and more stable.

Had no idea! I always thought 4 was safer for keeping it leveled. Will give 3 a try next time :) thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, abcyoung said:

Hi @smesacan you share what glaze you used? I am also searching for a matte clear glaze and have not found one that doesn't cause 'cloudiness'. Thanks!

In general clear glazes always look best with a smooth thin coat. Not so thin that it does not adequately cover, just the thicker one gets with any clear then more coloration and cloudiness is likely.

Archived