QotW: What ceramics related reading are you into presently if any?

Once again no new questions in the pool. .. . . So I' start off with something simple. Keeping this related to ceramics. . . . 

I have been reading a few books of late, and also using a few as reference for some issues I have been having. My reads of late is Mastering the Potter's Wheel by Ben Carter and The Workshop Guide to Ceramics by Duncan Hooson and Anthony Quinn. I would recommend the Ben Carter book to anyone who has experience, but would like to hone their skills. He has some of the best illustrations and explanations that I have read of wedging, both cone and rans-head. He also is very cognizant of strain/health issues working in the studio. There are also very detailed explanations of pottery forms like teapots and casseroles among other forms. Easy to read, and well thought out. Even though I don't entirely agree with his aesthetics or even the importance of different tea pot types and forms, I find the techniques important. I would also recommend this book to any teachers out there as it is always important to get multiple perspectives on how to explain things to students.

The Workshop Guide to Ceramics is a hodgepodge of everything! Within its 300+ pages of fine print it covers an entire gambit of imaging techniques including sketching to maquette making. Nearly every method of forming pottery that I can imagine, along with chapters on chemistry, glazing, firing and alternative firing, decorating, along with tools and equipment . Descriptions are well written and include multiple pictures to illustrate the material. An excellent beginning point for researching any project .

So I'll ask once again

If you could also include a short synopsis of what/why you are reading it, Please do.

best,

Pres

15 hours ago, blackthorn said:

Hamer's "The Potter's Dictionary of Materials and Techniques"

A favorite of mine.

This book, The Potter's Dictionary of Materials and Techniques, should be in any potters library. I just purchased the 5th edition last year, and gave the 1st edition to a potter friend teaching at the HS I used to teach at.

best,

Pres

Is that Michael Casson on th' cover of early edition The Potter's Dictionary of Materials and Techniques?

I'm paging through my copy of Peterson's The Craft and Art of Clay again - lots of pictures and ideas in there. Her treatment of unity is the best (my opinion).

I'm also looking at the Studio Potter magazine that Mark posted a link to (Summer/Fall 2008 - Thurston's article, in particular - will turn through alla pages tho', eventually), and since that's fun, will pick up where I left off paging through the dozen Ceramics Monthly .pdf files I've tucked away ...the oldest Oct65, newest Oct99).

Local JC Ceramic lab instructor loaned me a copy, which I damaged, hence I obtained a replacement copy (very reasonable via Buy New & Used Books Online with Free Shipping | Better World Books); it's the one of the two or three clay themed books I own that I'll keep. BWB offers an ongoing stream of percent off deals - subscribe to receive notice...

sp.JPG.22a172895b60a32486c87d1b41d785eb.JPG

Edited by Hulk
sizing

Hamer also!

I greab that book all the time. Alwayz nr my favourite chair.

Latest  dive was to read up on Plasticity. Purchased tonne of clay onlyto find it a whole lot shorter than evr before. Waiting for supplier to open up from annual break.

Really not wanting to deal with bag after bag of short clay. Cracking on wedging for goodness sake. 

Hands cramping tonight, 

Excellent book.

• Pres unpinned this topic