Switching from Cone 05/5 to cone 06/6 - What do I need to know?

MKORZ

Hello!

Does anybody have experience firing Standard Clay 112 or 182 to cone 06/6? These are the clays that I work with and typically my studio fires to cone 05/5. 

However, I have recently started working out of home and found a studio nearby that will fire my work, but to cone 06/6.  I want to be sure that I like the result before committing to the change. 

Well 06 is going to give you a lower bisque. So more porous pos. requiring a more watery glaze in your bucket.

Cone 6 higher so I would be looking at the clay bag to see the temp/cone your clay can handle.

Make a test tile or 10 and sk if the studio will bihsque then fire them with your glazes on them 

This will give you what you want.

Your glazes can be adpted to the higher temp.

Lots of examples here for test tiles

The lower bisque may or may not be a problem. Sometimes brown clay bodies do better with a hotter bisque to burn out all the bad stuff, but you'll just have to try it and see. The hotter glaze firing won't hurt the clay, but if you have glazes that are pretty runny at cone 5 they'll be even runnier at cone 6. It'll take some testing and practice, but it's all doable.

If place A tends to fire hot, and place B tends to fire a little cool, the temp could be exactly the same.

On the flip, the difference could be as wide as cone 4 and 7.

The only way the above is impossible is if they both fire evenly to dropped witness cones.

It would serve you well to ask some questions, maybe go check out their old witness cones, before committing to tests with them.

Worst case scenario, you have been on a cone 4 shelf at the old place, and your glaze melts off your peice on a cone 7 shelf in the new place test.  I'd want to gather more info.

Doubt you'll have problems with the 182 since it's pretty clean.  (Though Cone 10) Try 365!

The lower bisque may give you problems with the dirtier 112. 

Sorce

52 minutes ago, Sorcery said:

If place A tends to fire hot, and place B tends to fire a little cool, the temp could be exactly the same.

On the flip, the difference could be as wide as cone 4 and 7.

The only way the above is impossible is if they both fire evenly to dropped witness cones.

It would serve you well to ask some questions, maybe go check out their old witness cones, before committing to tests with them.

Worst case scenario, you have been on a cone 4 shelf at the old place, and your glaze melts off your peice on a cone 7 shelf in the new place test.  I'd want to gather more info.

Doubt you'll have problems with the 182 since it's pretty clean.  (Though Cone 10) Try 365!

The lower bisque may give you problems with the dirtier 112. 

Sorce

Thank you! I also use the studio's glazes, so I am hopeful that all will turn out well.

Archived