QotW: What do you think will be your best selling new item in this coming year?

Hi folks, no new topics in the pool so once again. . . . QotW: What do you think will be your best selling new item in this coming year?  I ask this because we have been discussing paradigm shifts, rules for shared studio use, HS classroom restriction/modifications, expense changes, time changes, all to deal with a virus covid-19. I hate to say it, but to me it would seem that we should be prepared to pull out our masks and modifications in the future, not just this year. However, there may be opportunities. There were for mask makers I am sure. 

I am having to make modifications to chalices so that the symbol is still present, but the use of a pouring spout to allow pouring several small communion glasses for safety. I think it will be the new normal for my sales, having had two requests already, one form a large seminary school, and another from a national religious non profit. There may be those of you adding dispenser bottles for hand sanitizers and other things. there may be some of you working on other types of things I cannot even fathom. . . . so:

QotW: What do you think will be your best selling new item in this coming year?

best,

Pres

So far, it’s a mug with a swear word on it, because 2020 seems to be inspiring certain sentiments at every possible opportunity. It’s what my therapist would have termed an adaptive (as opposed to maladaptive) self soothing method, so whatever helps!

I did manage to get my hands on 50 or so pump dispensers (they’re kinda scarce as it turns out), and I made my first 6 hand sanitizer/soap bottles. They came out of the kiln yesterday and I think they’re quite nice! My MIL has already claimed one, so we’ll see how those go. I’m playing around with some soap dish designs, trying to find one that’s easy to make AND that I like. I’ve made ones I like, but they are a bit fussy. I need to simplify them so they’re faster.

I think mugs, bowls, Callie's dispensers will be a good sell this year I bet, and I always do well with soap dishes, since I pair up with a soap maker.  Geez o peetz, have I ever used soap the last few months!!!  And as we chatted about in another thread as far as online selling, the smaller items will be easier and less expensive to ship.  

Roberta

Well, I have not yet reached an acceptable refinement technique for a "final" version of my herb markers, but I'm getting there. So far there is alot of interest/enthusiasm for these. I have ten different ones (love the stamps I got from Joel Socwell/stamps4clay) to be glazed in ten different colors. They're approx. 7" after firing. All the scrap from cutting the form are used for tea light holders and small catchalls. white body, ^6. Small, portable to local stores, lightweight, EZ to ship.

20200712_181647.jpg

lee, nice job.   may i suggest one tiny step further at the exact place in the making cycle that these are?  if you move them to touch the long sides and place an old piece of cloth over them all, you can run a tool down the grooves between the pieces to soften the sharp rectangular edges  (a rounded pencil eraser comes to mind as the tool)  doing two at the same time.

your soap holders sound great! Definitely have been going through soap alot faster. Also i can see a ceramic hand sanitizer bottle could be awesome and popular as opposed to those plastic.  Me I make fun ceramics animal themed items to try and bring a smile to the daily life and have found people definitely needed alittle boost during May -June! Maybe i'll make a fun animal themed soap dispenser xD

• 3 months later...
  • Pres unpinned this topic