Melting glass bottles

It's pretty simple. Do a Google search and you'll find lots of firing schedules. You want the bottom of the bottle to be nice and smooth, so start with a fresh application of kiln wash, as smooth as you can get it. The glass will pick up every little bump. Ideally, use an unwashed shelf and kiln paper.

Neil is correct, there is a lot of info out there.   The firing schedules will depend upon the size of your kiln.  You need to get your ramps up to a certain temp and then hold, and same with cooling.  A controlled cooling  with help with devitrification, a cloudiness on the glass (like crystallization)  I slumped a lot of bottles when I got my kiln, once I figured out the firing schedule, for a 7cu ft kiln, the bottles paid for a lot of clay supplies.  The material was free (people dropped off their empties at my house) and it was a trend at the time.  Shorter firing time, less electricity, all that.  Now I slump about one load a year, someone wants a bottle for something special.  I really do like finding another purpose for glass bottles!   I have a customer who buys the slumped bottles from me and incorporates them into her stained glass work.

Roberta

One thing I found out the hard way was to either use really flat shelves or put a little mound of alumina hydrate under the far edge of the bottle if your shelves are at all warped. Bottles can roll, I had a couple roll and fuse together. The alumina hydrate acts as a speed bump to stop the bottle rolling and just brushes off after the firing.

Genesis controller comes with this schedule for slumped bottles.

500/500/15 hold

500/1000/15 hold

600/1250/20 hold

500/1475/15 hold

9999/1100/30 hold

200/970/30 hold

120/750/10 hold

off

8 hours ago, Roberta12 said:

Neil is correct, there is a lot of info out there.   The firing schedules will depend upon the size of your kiln.  You need to get your ramps up to a certain temp and then hold, and same with cooling.  A controlled cooling  with help with devitrification, a cloudiness on the glass (like crystallization)  I slumped a lot of bottles when I got my kiln, once I figured out the firing schedule, for a 7cu ft kiln, the bottles paid for a lot of clay supplies.  The material was free (people dropped off their empties at my house) and it was a trend at the time.  Shorter firing time, less electricity, all that.  Now I slump about one load a year, someone wants a bottle for something special.  I really do like finding another purpose for glass bottles!   I have a customer who buys the slumped bottles from me and incorporates them into her stained glass work.

Roberta

Got any pics?

I did glass casting with recycled glass,  I was melting it into bisque molds.   I had to do a lot of testing to find the right schedule and firing temperature and annealing process.   One thing I did find is that most bottle glass is tempered  and will slump but takes a high temp to melt.   I use crushed window glass  for a blue green glass and cheap clear glasses from the Goodwill store for my clear.    The thicker the castings the harder it is to fire and anneal correctly,  my castings are a inch thick and it took 21 hours and that was as fast as I  could go.      Denice

Long ago in the 70s I was making my own beer . I got the idea of making my own labels with decals and had collected many cases of long neck beer bottles. I was ramping up the run and test fired a few bottles with luster temp decals I had printed-well the tem to flux the decal (cone 019) if I reacll also was the temp that all the necks started to slump over.

I got some great labels on crooked unusable beer bottles.. I gave up glass in electrics at that point.

Archived