Help choosing bat system

27 minutes ago, Linda Giroux-Daigle said:

Hi, I'm a newbie at pottery and I am looking for a bat system for work pieces that can slightly dry on the bat and not warp the bat. Perhaps as a new potter I tend to use more water that a seasoned potter. I'm looking at Batman, North star, dirty girl wonder bat etc....Any suggestions? 

Use the Euclid's one if you are worried about warping.  They use a 7x7 porcelain tile as the removable bat.  

https://euclids.com/index.php?item_id=TBTTE

I used the Bleeker station system on Amazon, but it's Masonite so the bats warp, I don't mind though since they warp into a slight dome, and as soon as they get wet again they flatten out.  I think people who use Masonite just get used to the slight warp and eventually don't even notice.

12 hours ago, Joseph Fireborn said:

I use the wonderbat system. Works fine. The bats are so thick I don't think its possible they can warp. I have used it for like 4-5 years and haven't worn out any of them or warped a single one. That being said the bats are expensive.

I have had the Wonderbat system for 12 years. They went out of business but I just discovered on Georgie's website, they carry something called Studio Pro.  It says it is compatible with Wonderbat (good news for the Wonderbat users) and it looks to be a good system.

https://www.georgies.com/gcc-shop-wheel-bat.shtml

12 hours ago, Joseph Fireborn said:

I use the wonderbat system. Works fine. The bats are so thick I don't think its possible they can warp. I have used it for like 4-5 years and haven't worn out any of them or warped a single one. That being said the bats are expensive.

Thanks, that's great. I will consider it.

I built a few different types of bats. MDF, Hyrastone and plastic.

I built an insert system with MDF but found that the base or holder got affected by water so I made one from 1/4 plastic material I had on hand. The base holds the inserts well and fits the pins nice and tight. The issue I have is I think the plastic/nylon inserts I built might be to smooth as the clay does not seam to want to stay centred. The MDF inserts give me no problems.I also have a few of the Hydrastone 6x6 inserts i built 1/2" thick that work well.

So far my favourite bats to use are the ones from Hydrastone, grips the clay well, don't have to wire off, unaffected by water  and leaves a smooth bottom.  The only drawback is they are heavy and pricey if you buy them. Not to bad at around $4 each to build but a lot of work.

linda, do you want a lot of bats that are mug size or do you only want a few that may be larger?   do you have access to a good carpenter or woodworking person?   

Duron  bats are wonderful.    i started out on them in 1972.   they allow the piece to dry with a flat bottom and separate without using a wire.   Duron was a brand name for a product made by the Masonite company.   duron is 1/4 inch thick and has two smooth sides.   unless you leave them underwater for any length of time, they do not warp or deform.   assuming reasonable care they will last for years.    the cost of a huge amount is very low compared to buying individual bats from some supplier.

if you are just setting up a studio you might consider having a woodworker make you one large, as big as your wheelhead, circular bat.   then have it cut to hold 6 inch bats which have been cut by your woodworker to fit that hole in the center of the big bat.   do not tell the woodworker that you will be getting them wet or they might arrive with a slippery varnish like finish that defeats the entire thing.  

a good woodworker will have access to Duron, i have found it difficult to locate sheet goods personally but i have not had the need since one 4x8 foot sheet made so many 5 inch squares.

I thought I would maybe move to one of the bat systems, but thought I would try some regular old cheap square bats first. I use a "bat gripper" that is wet, wet the bottom of the bat and put it on, then throw like normal, no warping yet after a couple hundred mugs. I do use the "other" side every time I use them again though. After using these for a while I can't see a need personally for the "bat system" that has the square cut out.

https://highwaterclays.com/products/square-masonite-bat-9

Archived