pink clay, how to?

missflo

Hello ^_^

looking for some clay what would burn pink! Does it exist? Can I add pigment inside the clay body to make it pink? it's for sculptural work therefore I'd like not to add a slip afterwards. I'm a bit lost on how to proceed, if anyone has any experience with this it  would be fantastic.

Thank you!

You can add some pink ceramic stain to a white or light coloured claybody to make pink. To get an even colour without streaking the easiest way to do it is to use dry clay and slake it down with the stain then mix the clay slip well and then dry it out to working consistency. Weigh the dry clay and the stain so you can replicate the shade you decide to use. I'ld strongly suggest doing a few test batches first, just a tiny amount is all you need to do, before mixing up your full batch. If you are using a glaze over the pink clay then try that on the sample test pieces also.  Mason Ceramic Stains here, they are widely available in North America.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much everybody!

I purchased 600gr of pink pigment and I will try to mix it with the clay once dry. hopefully this will work!

I've been told by the ceramic shop owner that a 60gr of pigment for 1kg of clay should be enough. Anyone has experience with this?

The pigment is: Minerco LTD, M6020.

The clay I'm going to use: Sibelco K140

I wonder which firing temperature would enhance the pigment as well.. ^_^

On 11/24/2019 at 7:15 PM, Min said:

You can add some pink ceramic stain to a white or light coloured claybody to make pink. To get an even colour without streaking the easiest way to do it is to use dry clay and slake it down with the stain then mix the clay slip well and then dry it out to working consistency. Weigh the dry clay and the stain so you can replicate the shade you decide to use. I'ld strongly suggest doing a few test batches first, just a tiny amount is all you need to do, before mixing up your full batch. If you are using a glaze over the pink clay then try that on the sample test pieces also.  Mason Ceramic Stains here, they are widely available in North America.

So Mason 6020 is a pretty soft pink.  6% in a recipe is a good starting point, but I'd maybe make some small tests at 5, 10 and 15% to pinpoint the intensity and hue you want before committing to a larger batch. In terms of firing temperature, I wouldn't go into cone 10 range, but I can vouch that it works just fine at cone 6 in oxidation.

Also, Babs already mentioned this, but a lady who used to contribute regularly here, Chris Campbell, is extremely well known for her amazing coloured clay work. Here is a link to her website page where she talks about some how-to's, including percentages she uses for some specific stains. 

http://www.ccpottery.com/colored-clay-lessons--chris/how-to-color-clay-with.html

Archived