How many hours does an ^06 slow bisque and an ^6 slow glaze take on an electric kiln?

I bisque a packed load in about 8 hours max from on to off. Pots are dry or mostly so.

I tend to push it more than most on firing. I spend more time drying pots on the front end.

Cone 6 is just a temp I'm passing thru to cone 11 glaze so I have no thoughts on that.

I fire an L&L Easy Fire e23T3 kiln, approx. 7 cu.ft. I slow bisque to cone 05 using the preset slow bisque program; without any preheat, it takes about 13 hours. I glaze fire to cone 6 using the preset slow glaze program and add a 15 minute hold/soak at temperature; it takes about 9 hours.

Added to the other posts this might help a little. I bisque to 04 slow running 11 - 13 hours depending on the load which is usually not packed. Glaze fire to cone 6 with a 15 minute hold about 12 hr and a half. Skutt 1027 digital. Glaze program 100 per hour to 220, 350 per hour to 2000, 125 per hour to 2185, hold 15, shut off.

Hi all, does any of you know how many hours does an cone 06 slow bisque take and how many hours does an cone 6 slow glaze take in an electric kiln?

The question is like "how long is a piece of string?"

How densely loaded, how old the elements, and how long between Low-Med-High on older (switched) kilns all contribute to the elapsed time.

That said, the other responses sound about right. My L&L 7 cu ft takes about 8 hours on fast fire to cone 1, with a full load (not glazed, tiles stacked) cone 6 takes another 2 or three hours.

• 4 years later...

thought i would add to this because I am having trouble myself! I have an older kiln, I belieive the brand is diamond..  and i have been using it on and off for about 3 years after sitting for years without use. When I started using it i was doing Low- 1 hour, Med-1 hour and high for how ever long it took for 06 cone to bend I would just turn the timer to like 20 hours just so it wouldnt under fire!  Long story short, I have recently been sitting the timer for 8 hours for a glaze 06 fire and twice the kiln has switched off before the cone was bent and everything was under fired!

I have an Olympic 1823. I slow bisque to 04 and tumble stack my load. My kiln is PACKED and I mean P A C K E D. It takes between 13 1/2 hours to 14 hours with a 15 minute hold to get the heatwork throughout the tightly packed kiln. I rarely do a preheat but when I do I add on a 2 hour preheat which makes it longer of course. I try and only use 2 shelves to fire the whole load.

I do a slow glaze to cone 6 with a TC offset of a few degrees but add back the heatwork by doing a 5 minute hold at the top. Doing this ended my pinhole issue and the glaze overfiring I ran into trying to fix the pinholes. Backed off the max temp with the TC offset then added the hold to get it back to perfect.

My cones almost always bend perfectly with these schedules. My elements are not new, going on around 165+ firings but I have seen no degradation in the schedule timing. I have replaced my TC. First time I fired a non tumble stacked load it took 13 hours 15 minutes. When I started tumble stacking time went a bit longer but has stayed the same since then. Same for glaze firing, it's within minutes of the same time even with the schedule adjustments I did to get the heatwork I needed. I do check my elements frequently and am watching and waiting for them to tell me they need to be replaced but so far they seem to be doing ok. Wait... now that I have said that out loud you know they will go south! LOL

All I can say and recommend is keep a logbook of all your firings. I do and it's been an immense learning tool for me as I learn to get more and more from my work, glazes and firing schedules.

T

I have a digital controller so yes those are the firing schedule times. It normally takes 1 1/2 times the firing schedule time for the kiln to cool off. So if a glaze firing takes 8 hours it takes about 16 hours to cool completely. This might be different depending on your kiln bricks, mine are 3 inch not 2.

T

all of you are talking about the time when you turn off the kiln right like Mark C pointed out?

actually cooling enough to take the pots out might take another few hours depending on kiln and other factors right? 

Yes: I just allow 24 hours from start to showtime for both bisque and glaze,   It's the K.I.S.S. principle at work.

Archived