Felt like a newbie again

Sat down to throw a bunch of mugs and for the life of me I could not get the 1# ball of clay to center!  It felt like I was starting all over again, like those YouTube videos of the ball of clay throwing the big football player around the wheel.  I cut the ball off, re-wedged it to make certain there wasn't a lump or air pocket I missed, and tried again.  After several minutes or more, adjusting my hand positions, bracing my arms against my legs or splash pan, still could not get this stupid ball of clay to center.   The problem....my wheel was reversed, I never noticed I just sat down and needed to get going on my restock list.  Not sure which is more embarrassing , not being able to center the little 1# ball of clay or not realizing the wheel was spinning the wrong directions.  I hope everyone has a great day, and my struggle brings a smile. :) 

Whenever I can't seem to center, I return to basics Mastering the clay on the wheel with the cone up and down until I am satisfied of the centering. Throwing a lot of mugs and jars lately so I really understand what you are going through. I have also found that I am more comfortable throwing larger amounts than the smaller balls. One of the reasons all the lids and spoons  are thrown off the hump.

best,

Pres

Archived