wheel movement

fergusonjeff

I currently have a Shimpo Whisper and really like the wheel.  The only limitation has been slowing down with even just a few pounds (not a really big problem).  I really like that when the wheel is stopped (not necessarily turned off) the wheel head spins freely like a banding wheel.  I end up using this a lot to spin the piece for texturing or just to remove bats and many other tasks.  This is one of the only electric wheels I have used and I am thinking this is not a common feature.  I tried spinning a few other wheels and they do not spin easily.  Are there other wheels available that have this free-spinning feature?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry to say, but the feature that you mentioned is usually an indication of a poorly adjusted controller. If you purchase your wheel new, you should find in your paper work how to adjust the controller/footpedal to get rid of the slow turn. At the same time you can make other adjustments to improve the torque under load. At least these are things that I have been able to adjust on the Brent, Creative Industries, and Bailey wheels that I have used.

best,

Pres

Pres,

I think there is a misunderstanding.  When the foot pedal is not engaged, the Shimpo Whisper can move freely (by hand) in either direction.  It does not move at random.  When the pedal is stopped the wheel stops.  This is a very useful feature.  Here is the description of the feature as a selling point: "Wheelhead Turns Freely at 0 RPM / Serves as a banding wheel".

What you are talking about is a problem on an old Shimpo I have (RK-1, I think).  I am constantly adjusting this pedal so that stop means stop.  The wheel head on this older wheel does not move by hand when the motor is stopped.  This is the problem. 

When I tried a Brent and a Pacifica the wheel head could move, but it took some force. 

Sorry for the lack of clarity in my initial post.

Thanks,

Jeff

I do not think any other wheel has that feature. When you spin a wheel thats not energized (motor is off) you are spinning the belts pulleys and motor armature as well. This all creates drag. 

I'll be demonstrating on a few whisper's later this winter  in the  mid pacific and now am curious how this drag is overcome. I have thrown on whispers before and never noticed this feature.

59 minutes ago, fergusonjeff said:

The slowing is a function of drag, not so much clay weight.  I can slow it down with just a pound or two but I can also keep it at full speed centering 10-12 pounds.  I never understood how centering weight is calculated when there are so many variables involved. 

I agree. Centering weight is subjective. They should have torque numbers, because that's what really matters. Even the smallest wheels say they can center 25 pounds, but there's no way they can really handle that much clay. Horsepower doesn't really matter, either. A 1/3 hp Thomas Stuart can do as much or more than a 1hp Brent. It all comes down to torque, and how well the controller can deal with loads. TS did a torque test of all the major wheels a few years back:

torque.gif.fae61206423799893b6fcf59101cf169.gif

2 hours ago, Mark C. said:

I do not think any other wheel has that feature. When you spin a wheel thats not energized (motor is off) you are spinning the belts pulleys and motor armature as well. This all creates drag. 

I'll be demonstrating on a few whisper's later this winter  in the  mid pacific and now am curious how this drag is overcome. I have thrown on whispers before and never noticed this feature.

As I've said elswhere, I have an RK3E.  I don't think there are any belts or pulleys. It's a direct drive, which I believe means that magnets are driving the wheel.  That's why it can spin freely.

https://www.dogwoodceramics.com/product/shimpo/shimpo-vl-whisper-pottery-wheel.htm

So the wheel head shaft is the armature in this  case . I'll check out the ones I'm  throwing on in  late Feb.

My only complaint with those wheels is they can be bogged down with hard clay on larger forms. They are a little weak on the torque end.Supper quiet though.

3 hours ago, fergusonjeff said:

Neil,  thanks for the chart.  I am contemplating a new wheel.  Based on the torque numbers why would anyone bother with the more than 1/3 hp Thomas Stuart? 

Exactly. I have one of the 1/2hp models and ten of the 1/3hp models, and I really can't find any reason to buy another 1/2hp. The 1/3hp is plenty.

9 hours ago, fergusonjeff said:

Neil.  What are your thoughts on the ssx drive?   

@fergusonjeff I've never used it, but have never felt that I needed something better than what I have. That said, I've heard it's really nice, and the controller is the heart of the wheel, so if it's in your budget it might be worth it.

Me too. I talked with Skutt about the ssx drive and asked the same questions about it. I got my Thomas Stewart wheel around 10 years ago and opted not to have the ssx installed. It's the professional model and because of the large motor it is somewhat noisy. I would love to hear from someone who has had it both ways and what the advantages are with the ssx drive.

I would like to know just exactly what the differences are with the ssx compared to without. The foot pedal is very responsive without the ssx. It is a little noisy even with the not so good hearing I possess.  I just want to know the differences are before I plunk down the $250  just to find out nothing really changes dramatically. ....

Archived