Could Anyone Id This Glaze?

mousey

First post here, sincerely hope I'm within guidelines for asking this...

FJeM7yO.jpg

Tokuro, 1969

The white bubbly glaze... can anyone suggest what that is/how it might be made?  I see a lot of variations on that theme and would love to get an idea of what 'base' to start with to obtain similar effect..

This looks like a crater glazes with a iron wash,  there are many crater glaze formula's out there.  Some potters that are good at glazes play around with them and mix it slightly different each time.  I would search the internet for crater glaze recipes and do some testing.   Denice

• 4 weeks later...

Could be a traditional shino --

Neph Syenite 80%

Kaolin 20%

or

Neph Syenite 70%

Kaolin 30%

Optional to either is 3% salt.

The top one is a bit dry; the second is a bit glossier. Applied thin, you get red; applied thick, you get white.

The brush work is iron oxide over the glaze.

• 3 weeks later...

How did it go Mousey? 

It was a hilarious and spectacular series of missteps requiring the services of an electrician to upgrade the garage wiring and then fix the after-market cord attached to a new Skutt, haha.  And that's before I figured out that cone 05 does NOT equal cone 5.  No my friend, it does not.  

Simply put, I'm having a blast.  Hopefully Ill get something put together I can justify posting in the next week or two.

Ceramics takes a lifetime to absorb then you will need another lifetime to start getting it right

I would not trade my 40 + years in it for anything.

Stick at it and sooner than later it will come together

Archived