Kiln Foundation-If You Get It Wrong Use A Jackhammer

Mark C.

Years ago after needing to move some concrete I realized a 90# jackhammer was the way to go.You can rent them at a tool rental-comes with huge trailerable compressor and long hose and a real heavy jackhammer.

Thing is you need to weigh about 300#s to control it. I came up with a new way to keep it glued to the concrete,

This new technique takes awhile to get the hang of but you can get gravity on your side.If you where a gymnast in a former life this will help-I was not one by the way.

Looking back on this this may have been one of the many things that ruined my wrist.

Now I must add my usual do not try this at home disclaimer .

Mark

post-8914-0-23036200-1445794619_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-23036200-1445794619_thumb.jpg

I love using a jackhammer. I use to use one when I work in construction. I used small handheld one and a big-boy. It was def hard to figure at first. And the guy that first taught me, clued me in, after I nearly lost my head, and he stopped laughing (that took a while). But once you know the trick it's ez pz. I could do it with one hand tied behind my back.

I have never photoshoped any of my photos kids. The leg is behind my body resting on that wisteria vine that is still there in same spot after 70 years.How else can one balance on a jackhammer upside down-This was a set shot that I had my friend shoot for me.

This was a old concrete porch I took out in late 80's

you can see it in this later decade photo of the new addition with a bronze working ships porthole offset in  mudroom next to front door.

Just for the record I have taken many many thousands of photos since the early 80's (mostly slides) and I have yet to photo shop much of anything except to add watermarks to some images.

I take a great pride in getting it right the 1st time or ttrash canning the image-Even now with all my Digital nikons SLRs I do not photoshop.

I do crop images but as far as changing them lifes to short for that time wasting-I have to much to do in other venues .

I used to shoot 36 sildes underwater and if I had 2 keepers I was happy. I still shoot (take photos) that way. Get it right  the 1st time or trash it.

You guys need to look more closely at photos as illusions are in the mind unless you look closer.Just like card tricks-spend the time with setup and get the shot right and the illusion will be perfect. So when I have a flaming head it was because I had a flaming head.If you have not figured it out yet I have always done crazy stuff-I'm only posting things related to ceramics.

I also have some facial hair in this photo it seems.

The crock in the photo is not shopped its just one BIG crock.

Mark

post-8914-0-67978700-1445837464_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-67978700-1445837464_thumb.jpg

Me? Photoshop? Never! You're talking to the wench who is lucky she even knows how to turn the blasted computer on in the first place! :blink: I have a very limited skills set and they do NOT extend to Photoshop or any other editing software. Love that picture, Mark. You is one silly dude! :P

Looks like oldlady saw thru all this illusion and  noticed I only have one leg.I lost it back during my teenage years while whaling. As a young boy I signed on the ship the Essex- out of Natucket -you can read about that boat -there was a book written on the boat-its called -In The Heart of The Sea

I suggest you read this book if you like a true story and a great sea story-this story was adapted by a little known author called Herman Melville-his story is called Moby Dick-its a yarn wheras the heart is true story.

anyway on that boat my leg got caught on the outline and taken off while doing a Nantucket sleigh ride. Its been a peg ever since.My kickwheel has a peg hole in the counter wieght that works well.

Sorry I do not have any photos of my early whaling years but I still have a love for the sea

I light our house with sperm oil from a few barrels  I still have from my youth.

Speaking of sea yarns this ones about as thick as it gets mates.

Mark

well, you have done it now.  i could hardly walk before this but now you have pulled my leg almost out of its socket!   :o 

(for those who use english as a second language, "pulling my leg"  means making up a story that is almost believable but made up for the humor in it.)

I read "In The Heart of The Sea" and loved it and now I can't wait to see the movie in December.

Paul

I am re reading my hardback copy again-its been a few years. I recommend this book highly-do not wait for the film the book is fabulous.

We need a thread on non ceramoc books for winter reads-

Time for that suit again! Couldn't see any croc for a while, with your avatar I ws looking for a croc, I guess the abbrev. would be.

So you are writing of the ceramic garbage bin against the wall. or is that the beginnings of a Japanese bath?

Archived