Back Aches And Wheels

As one who has spent a lifetime at a wheel as a funtional studio potter.I can say that raising the wheel some and the right chair help a lot. My wheel is up about 6 inches with brent booties but any PVC pipe support will do the same. Or blocks of wood. The stool will also make a huge difference-mine is adjsutable up and down as well as fount to back tilt with back support.I'm just under 6 foot tall.

Mark

Do a lot of crunches and keep your core strong. Also put your wheel up on blocks and throw standing or sitting high. I switched to standing a couple of months ago because my back was hurting. The pain is gone, and it's much easier to work in my space without having to get up and down from a chair.

post-6933-0-28864900-1430599742_thumb.jpg

As one who has spent a lifetime at a wheel as a funtional studio potter.I can say that raising the wheel some and the right chair help a lot. My wheel is up about 6 inches with brent booties but any PVC pipe support will do the same. Or blocks of wood. The stool will also make a huge difference-mine is adjsutable up and down as well as fount to back tilt with back support.I'm just under 6 foot tall.

Mark

Hey Mark, were does one find a chair like that?

Do a lot of crunches and keep your core strong. Also put your wheel up on blocks and throw standing or sitting high. I switched to standing a couple of months ago because my back was hurting. The pain is gone, and it's much easier to work in my space without having to get up and down from a chair.

attachicon.gifWheel-Stand.jpg

Thanks Neale, unfortunately my gym close their doors just as i was getting started. Gotta find another gym or method. Starting over at 60. LOL.

Neile, did you build that awesomeness. Send me the plans. I'll pay you for it.

Make sure to stretch it the other way. Do this 20 times a day. Don't hold it for more than 1 or 2 seconds. Just an excercise my mum gave me that helped when the part of my back around the bottom of the rib cage was really sore. Now I do it most days. Lie face down and push up till your arms are straight. If they don't want to go straight I wouldn't push too hard, that will come with practice.

cobra-pose-stretch.jpg

Make sure to stretch it the other way. Do this 20 times a day. Don't hold it for more than 1 or 2 seconds. Just an excercise my mum gave me that helped when the part of my back around the bottom of the rib cage was really sore. Now I do it most days. Lie face down and push up till your arms are straight. If they don't want to go straight I wouldn't push too hard, that will come with practice.

cobra-pose-stretch.jpg

Thanks HBP, ummm, yoga. I can dig that. Always wanted to do that. sssss cobra.

cobra-pose-stretch.jpg

And follow with cat stretches. curving your spine up and down.

Marjariasana-pose_0.png

Mark

Hey Mark, were does one find a chair like that?

The cat back exercise is very good for you-its the post from Chilly above

As Neil said strengthen your core-read up on that-its a key point for potters.

The stool I spoke about is for sale from any online pottery supply-I should add its not for everyone

Its an ST-1

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/ST-1-PROFESSIONAL-POTTER-S-STOOL-p/cst1.htm

I did build it. Sorry, no plans. Just 3 legs and as much bracing as I could cram in between them. 4x4 legs, 2x4 rails.

some potters seem to use very low work surfaces, not just a wheel with a poor seat.  recently someone here put a video of warrne mckenzie up and when i watched it i could just feel the pain when he used a bucket of glaze that was at floor level and stooped over it.  his lighting was awful and his work tables too low.  someone who lives near him should get a group of mckenzie lovers together and fix that for him.  

putting in a utility sink is a common thing for potters.  how many of you have raised it to the correct height for your size?  

everything matters when it comes to taking care of yourself.

Just a note of caution on the yoga stretches. Make sure they are safe for you to do if you have back issues, especially if you have had surgery. I have had 2 back surgeries and that was just to stabilize me. My doctor told me no more running, weight lifting, or yoga. Running compresses the spine repeatedly, weight lifting puts to much pressure from differing angles depending on the movement and yoga hyper flexes the spine.

The only stretching I am allowed is kneel on floor and fold your torso down over your thighs and rest your head on the floor. That's it no twisting no arching. Pretty much sucks since I use to do all of the banned activities. So now I walk and believe it or not walking actually helps with wheel work. I walk between sessions and it seems to put everything back in place.

I also have my wheel raised and have the nice ST potters stool. Even doing that I can only do wheel work about once a week which is why I do extruding and slab work mostly.

T

cobra-pose-stretch.jpg

And follow with cat stretches. curving your spine up and down.

Marjariasana-pose_0.png

That does look like a cat. Thanks. :rolleyes:

I built a bench for throwing copying the design at Pietro's at La Meridiana. By angling the seat , it reduces the pressure on the lower back. 

Yoga and raising the wheel to a good angle for you works too. 

Marcia

Thanks Marcia. 

I recently acquired a Shimpo stool, which allows you to adjust the height and the angle of the seat.  So far so good.

Cool. I like the adjustable chair. Gives me an idea. Thanks Ray

I did build it. Sorry, no plans. Just 3 legs and as much bracing as I could cram in between them. 4x4 legs, 2x4 rails.

I think I'll try the House piers I have first and when I can, I think I can build off the picture. Thanks

some potters seem to use very low work surfaces, not just a wheel with a poor seat.  recently someone here put a video of warrne mckenzie up and when i watched it i could just feel the pain when he used a bucket of glaze that was at floor level and stooped over it.  his lighting was awful and his work tables too low.  someone who lives near him should get a group of mckenzie lovers together and fix that for him.  

putting in a utility sink is a common thing for potters.  how many of you have raised it to the correct height for your size?  

everything matters when it comes to taking care of yourself.

Sage advice. Bad health keeps us from enjoying what we do. Thanks.  :rolleyes:

Just a note of caution on the yoga stretches. Make sure they are safe for you to do if you have back issues, especially if you have had surgery. I have had 2 back surgeries and that was just to stabilize me. My doctor told me no more running, weight lifting, or yoga. Running compresses the spine repeatedly, weight lifting puts to much pressure from differing angles depending on the movement and yoga hyper flexes the spine.

The only stretching I am allowed is kneel on floor and fold your torso down over your thighs and rest your head on the floor. That's it no twisting no arching. Pretty much sucks since I use to do all of the banned activities. So now I walk and believe it or not walking actually helps with wheel work. I walk between sessions and it seems to put everything back in place.

I also have my wheel raised and have the nice ST potters stool. Even doing that I can only do wheel work about once a week which is why I do extruding and slab work mostly.

T

Ah thanks T, I hope your back get better. I do walk. And before my gym closed I spent half and hour to and hour on the treadmill. Not to fast, but enough to burn cals and feel comfortable. Thanks for your help.

Archived