London Potters?

Hi Folks! This may not be the right forum, but I couldn't think of a more applicable one.

I'm making a trip to London next week for work, and I'm going to be there a stretch of time. I love the city in general, been many times, but have never explored any pottery shops / studios.

Do we have any UK potters or UK-frequenting potters who have the inside scoop on good galleries, studios, factories, etc? Hopefully looking for things in the London-vicinity since I won't be driving.

Cheers! Looking forward to any leads.

@mregecko  You'll probably get some UK responses here, but you can also search the members list.  Click on the Members tab at the top of this page...on the right side of the Members page is a More Search Options link that will allow you to include Location as as query filter.  I am doing something similar for travel plans later this year.  Good luck!!

-Paul

You didn't mention any museums, but the Victoria and Albert is a favorite.  Fantastic pottery collection.  Allocate several hours.

Lisa Hammond is in London.  I've not been there, but she's "on the list" of potters I'd like to visit. 

Maze Hill Pottery, The Old Ticket Office, Woodlands Park Road, Greenwich, London SE10 9XE

Tel: 020 8293 0048
Fax: 020 8293 0048

lisa@lisahammond-pottery.co.uk

http://www.lisahammo...o.uk/index.html

Note, it's always a good practice to contact potters in the UK ahead of time to confirm hours/availability.  Many require prior arrangements before visiting.

The Craft Potters Association has an online membership gallery which is searchable by geographic areas.  London is in the "south east" area, just be prepared to get a lot of potters outside of London too.

****email and website edited per updated information provided by PeterH (thanks!)

Don't really know much about potters around London. You could contact one of the universities that do ceramics as I am sure they would know more.

The big pottery factories are not in London either to my knowledge.

There is a great place far in the north who make big plant pots in an old water pipe factory still using the pipe extruders. They have a coal fired beehive kiln that is huge. Great place to visit but it is in the middle of nowhere.

Depending how much money you have getting a train is not too bad although rather expensive. Traveling to other main cities is quick, you can get from London to Newcastle in around 3.5 hours.

If you want to be really cheap you can get the megabus which will be about £10 to anywhere but a lot slower.

There is lots to do in London but I have only really done the touristy things. There are a few good galleries to visit in London.

I don’t live in London, but the last time I was there I went to the Contemporary Ceramics Centre (run by the Craft Potters Association), which is just opposite the British Museum.   www.cpaceramics.com

You could look at the members gallery at London Potters (www.londonpotters.com) as most of them have contact details +/- website.

If you are interested:  Edmund de Waal is showing some of the japanese netsuke that featured in his book ‘The Hare with Amber Eyes’, as part of an exhibition on artists as collectors at the Barbican Art Gallery   www.edmunddewaal.com/news/news-and-events/

Thanks for the news of Edmund de Waal's netsuke collection at the Barbican.  Have just booked my ticket.  Gallery Besson usually has some Lucie Rie pots plus others.  The weekend of April 17,18 & 19 has a major potter's show at the Royal Academy

Lin

The V&A ceramic collection is extensive. While you're there check out the Islamic Art room too...more ceramics!

The British Museum has a room devoted to Chinese ceramics that may interest you. It's just across the road from the Contemporary Ceramics Centre/shop so you can kill two birds with one stone. Museums and galleries in the UK are usually free to enter (donation box at entrance if you wish) and they generally have a late night opening once a week.

Look on studiopottery.co.uk for potters, events, etc.

You didn't say how long you'll be over here for but If you fancy seeing more of the country distances are short compared to the USA. By train you can get to Oxford in 1 hour and the northern cities of Liverpool, Manchester, York in just over 2 hours. Book online for cheaper fares.

Sally

i envy you the opportunity!   it is true that the whole country is easy to reach.  and by that time the hostels are open and very inexpensive. stayed in many during 2 trips back when british airways was selling tickets for $99 one way.  spent 10 days seeing lots of potters in their studios all over cornwall.  bath (pronounced BAAAAth)  has a supplier, find out what Tmaterial is, and the stuff they call "crank clay". 

the other good thing about the UK is their maps.  for a few pounds you can buy an atlas of the country which shows things at a 3 mile scale.  amazing names of towns.  potters are all over the place.

the tube will get you lots of places around london and the trains do go everywhere.  have a great time.

When I was in London almost 2 years ago, I visited North Street Potters in Clapham.  I separated from my group to do this so I took a cab to get there.  We were staying near Kings Cross at that point.  They were delightfully welcoming, made me a cup of coffee, and wanted to talk politics.  Gave me a tour of their facility.  I came home with one of Sarah's porcelain tea lights, a couple of Liz's pieces, one of Naine's mugs and great memories.   I did email them prior just to make certain it would be ok to stop in.  The British Museum had a wonderful collection of pottery from Iran.  Have a wonderful time and let us know about your trip!

Roberta

Archived