Here Is What I Ordered - Never Mixed My Own Glaze Yet

Really?! Oh man, that crap from Seattle Pottery clumped as bad...OH WAIT, HAAAA

BENTONITE

THAT'S what I mean! Bleeding BENTONITE

These names are too much for my wee rodent brain, anymore... >.>

You won't need to mix it in the blender if you dry mix it well with the other glaze ingredients before adding it to the water.

Not sure if your list is patterned after a number of planned glazes or just intended to be your base line-up of materials. In addition to what you have listed I would consider adding Gerstley Borate (unless you are planning to sub with the 3134) and Nepheline Syenite.  I also go large on 3124 (u have 3lbs of this one) as part of my 25-50lb bulk buys and re-order both 3124 & 3134 often.  

Congratulations! I would highly recommend John Brits video from the CAD library. it is a really great primer and I sure wished I had watched something like it years ago, my initial efforts would have been much more productive. 

have fun!

Ok so I have my haul.  THANK YOU so much to Neil for letting me get them at his studio. It saved me some drive time for sure! 

I picked up some rubbermaid containers of various sizes but I know i didn't get enough smaller ones (for 1-5# ingredients)  What types of containers do you use to organize your ingredients? (something easy to organize) I would love to see pictures.  

post-19612-0-30763700-1424784216_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-30763700-1424784216_thumb.jpg

shoebox sized plastic boxes with lids work well.  they take two hands to use so do not try to pick one up one-handed.  brittle plastic is not a good choice, i hate sterilite brand.  the dollar tree has a nice flatter style with a blue lid.  i have lots of these and find the clear plastic allows me to keep track of what is left.  i only use them for the small amounts of additives.  looks like you could use some too. the good part is that they stack nicely, about 3 fit on my metal shelves.  buy more than you need right now so there will be a container for the new things you decide to get next month.

write the name with a sharpie on each container and mark the lid, too.  if you care what kind of ingredient it is, separate them by color sharpie.  glass former in black, melt enhancers pink, etc.

what did you get for the extra 75 cents???

BTW, spellcheck does not approve of shoebox.

+1 on the plastic shoebox. I store the large quantities in 5 gallon buckets with tight lids.

If you must save some ingredients in the bag they came in, be sure to get them off the concrete floor. Either use a pallet or cover the floor with plastic (large garbage bags or VizQueen). Don't want any moisture seeping in.

I am with Stephen on the John Brit DVD. Wish I had seen it 6 years ago - when I was testing like a mad man trying to get a pallette.

Good luck with testing. You will be thrilled with what comes out of the test tiles. Be sure to use vertical test tiles. They better replicate a mug, pitcher, vase.

don't forget wheels under anything heavy.  and putting the glaze ingredients into their containers by letting the bags down into the containers and then razoring the entire bottom of the bag.  then pull the emptying bag away from the cut side so the material just slides out without raising dust. 

• 4 weeks later...

There are two things I would highly suggest.

1) a digital scale that is accurate at .00

Look in your home town for a business that sells commercial scales. You may be able to find a used one on the cheap. They may sell to schools and have some used ones. Buy a good one I tried several digital kitchen scales and gave up. Considering what I paid for two of them and the price difference for the good used one I have I did not really save much, and fought with glazes.

2) a stick blender (immersion blender) and save the plastic cup to mix in, it's great for doing glaze tests.

Archived