15 replies to this topic

#1 Vsmithpots

Vsmithpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

I have an Estrin pottery wheel with a large steel fly wheel driven by a rubber drive disc attached to an electric motor via a 5/8inch shaft. Where can I buy these drive discs? It was manufactured in BC. It works fine but I always think ahead. I trained on one of these 40 years ago so it has nostalgic appeal.

Attached Files

#2 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Vsmithpots;

This is an example of you not giving us enough information in your profile. These wheels were a staple all through highschools in Canada.

1.If you look closely at the motor mount, you can see that it is very easy to have your left foot suck into the motor. If you or someone else accidentally touches the flywheel with your foot..wham,sucked or actually pulled into the spinning"puck"

2. Later versions have a safety cage that goes on the left side of the motor.

3.Most beginning potters I know get rid of these old clunkers in favour of a Brent or a Creative Industries wheel.

4.If you were working in a co-operative studio, your studio neighbours would insist that you sell this wheel, as it produces a high pitched whine once it gets going.

If you live in Canada, I can tell you where to get a replacement rubber drive.Can't help you if you are in the U.S.

TJR.

#3 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

I have one of those Estrin wheels as well!!!!!  It is going on 40 years old.  Estrin went out of business a good while back.

GREAT little wheel........ I love it for trimming.  The light flywheel is great for using like a Japanese/Korean kickwheel,........ I pull it using the left foot (trimming counterclockwise).

My original "hockey puck" drive wheel is still fine.  I almost never use the motor.  Prefer to kick.  Motor is easy to remove... it spends 99 pecent of the time not on the wheel.

best,

.........................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

Try an appliance repair shop...they are the same wheels used for tumble dryers.
Marcia

#5 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:12 AM

Put a metal cover over that drive wheel as you will not like your foot in it.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#6 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

A lot of these wheels that used a drive puck on the motor are still around. Lockerbies, Amacos, and others are sitting in studios and junk piles unused for want of a drive puck. Hard to find them nowadays. I have been looking for one for an older Amaco that I used to use a lot before I got my CXC, but no luck.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#7 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Might something here work?  http://www.mcmaster....rollers/=q8yc7j

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#8 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks Neil, the first one on the page looks like it fits the Amaco. I have bookmarked the page and will be getting the wheel running again.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#9 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Thanks Neil, the first one on the page looks like it fits the Amaco. I have bookmarked the page and will be getting the wheel running again.

Gotta love McMaster-Carr!

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#10 SCoffey

SCoffey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

I recently purchased a Estrin kickwheel with motor that needs to be refurbished...lots of rust.

I am trying to remove the throwing wheel and have located the two hex nuts on the shaft. Is

there a hex nut on the top of the wheel?

Thank you for any replies.

#11 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Never had to do a thing to mine.... still in mint condition...... so I don't know if there is another hex nut. When I get a chance I'll take a look.

best,

.....................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#12 Vsmithpots

Vsmithpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Vsmithpots;

This is an example of you not giving us enough information in your profile. These wheels were a staple all through highschools in Canada.

1.If you look closely at the motor mount, you can see that it is very easy to have your left foot suck into the motor. If you or someone else accidentally touches the flywheel with your foot..wham,sucked or actually pulled into the spinning"puck"

2. Later versions have a safety cage that goes on the left side of the motor.

3.Most beginning potters I know get rid of these old clunkers in favour of a Brent or a Creative Industries wheel.

4.If you were working in a co-operative studio, your studio neighbours would insist that you sell this wheel, as it produces a high pitched whine once it gets going.

If you live in Canada, I can tell you where to get a replacement rubber drive.Can't help you if you are in the U.S.

TJR.

I do live in Nova Scotia. I bought this wheel and it is working fine, but the drive wheel has very hard rubber, so it vibrates just a touch. I assume a newer rubber drive wheel will be smoother. I have 11 potters wheels, Brent, Creative Industry, Shimpo, Amaco and Pacifica, for some reason I love the feeling of the Estrin wheel. It is like the difference between a manual and an automatic car, I can throw faster on any of the other wheels but the challenge of the Estrin wheel is preferable to me. After 40 years on potters wheels I like the challenge. It does not have the whine you describe and I only engage the motor for centering, the flywheel has enough momentum for anything under 2lbs weight, most pieces need foot braking to take them off the wheel. I will attach a shield to the motor, thanks for the heads up on that. I will also try turning it around and attach the seat to the other side, so that the motor is out of reach.

#13 Mug

Mug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern Ohio

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Lockerbie Kick Wheels... Lockerbie Rubber Drive Wheel,
Lockerbie Hardware Only for Drive Wheel

These parts may be just what you need.

As far as the safety cover. What fun is it if you can't get hurt!

For those of you on the other side of the fence...I can see it is a necestity when you are in a studio with other potters.

These wheels where made when common sence ran rapid.

I don't know any one legged potters, but thier were probably a few.

#14 Lucinda

Lucinda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

I replaced the drive wheel with a hockey puck. I had a machinist bore out the middle. Works perfectly. I would happily buy another Estrin if I could find one.

#15 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

I replaced the drive wheel with a hockey puck. I had a machinist bore out the middle. Works perfectly. I would happily buy another Estrin if I could find one.

I used to teach kids pottery classes on Saturday mornings at our main art gallery. Had a call from a parent;"Why is my daughter's foot all black?"

Apparently she had jammed her left foot into the motor and was too shy to tell me.If you put your left foot down on the flywheel, it'll shoot right into the motor. Great wheels for trimming and small stuff.I had eight in a classroom, and they all whined when they got going.

I have a chance to pick one up for free-I'm tempted. I will wear work boots.

TJR.

#16 frickthoughts

frickthoughts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

In Feb, Lucinda said she would like another Estrin wheel. There is one for sale on kijiji in Montreal. The price is way too high - $1000! It will have to come down as there are wheels for sale frequently. It is not as well put together as the one I have.  I was delighted to see this listing because, at long last I have a brand name for the wheel I love which was given to me many years ago. 

However, the seat was stolen. As the company is out of business, does anyone know where I can get a seat!!!! 

The way mine is put together, there is no way to catch one's foot. At least, I have not come close in 20 years. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: estrin, pottery wheel, spare parts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users