Getting A Kiln Delivered

Hi...I'm new to the forum.  After a long break from clay for various reasons (all the while dreaming of clay), I am trying to get a garage studio set up.  I live fairly close to Bailey and very close to another supply company but am still thinking of ording a kiln from clay-king.com due to pricing.  I'd like to know peoples experiences having kilns delivered.  It makes me very nervous as this will be a major purchase for me and I don't want a huge kiln stranded in my driveway with no way to get it inside.  I really have my eye on the L&L 23s but think I will get the 23t because it breaks up into 3 sections and will be easier to set up.  Thanks for your help! 

Stacey

Usually when kilns are delivered (unless this is a local delivery by a kiln distributor) they are delivered by a Less-Than-Truckload (LTL) freight company.  What happens when they come to a residence is that the truck driver schedules an appointment with you (sometimes directly, sometimes through the company you ordered from) and they show up with a truck with a liftgate.  The driver will drop the kiln essentially where the truck stops, and it will be on a pallet.  If you want them to wheel the kiln via pallet jack into your garage, you need to make sure there is a smooth, paved route that will accommodate a 48" pallet and jack that they can take.  You also need to let the kiln distributor know this in advance so that they can request this additional service.  You will be charged for this "inside delivery", and fees for that can be as much as 100 dollars, occasionally more.  Sometimes freight lines will not let you schedule a specific time for delivery without an additional "appointment charge", and if this is the case and you can be flexible, they will work with you for a window of time (tues-wed from 12-4, or some such.)   Usually LTL companies do residential deliveries in the afternoon, if I recall correctly, but your mileage may vary.

Stacey, when you buy an L&L kiln, it doesn't matter which retailer you choose. Every retailer will simply call the L&L factory in New Jersey and have them drop-ship the kiln to you. So take advantage of the cheapest price you can find.

I bought an E23T earlier this year. On my blog is a photo documentation of the disassembling, moving into the house, and reassembling. Though I had a lot of people helping me, it really only takes two strong people. It's not that hard!

http://www.goodelephant.com/1/post/2013/05/the-new-kilns-name.html

Stacey, when you buy an L&L kiln, it doesn't matter which retailer you choose. Every retailer will simply call the L&L factory in New Jersey and have them drop-ship the kiln to you. So take advantage of the cheapest price you can find.

I bought an E23T earlier this year. On my blog is a photo documentation of the disassembling, moving into the house, and reassembling. Though I had a lot of people helping me, it really only takes two strong people. It's not that hard!

http://www.goodelephant.com/1/post/2013/05/the-new-kilns-name.html

Having worked for an L&L distributor, this is not always the case--kilns are often shipped from in stock at the supplier...  Reason being (at least when i was involved--as of a year ago) is that the supplier loses part of their discount for drop shipping kilns, at least that's how it was with us.

Hi...I'm new to the forum.  After a long break from clay for various reasons (all the while dreaming of clay), I am trying to get a garage studio set up.  I live fairly close to Bailey and very close to another supply company but am still thinking of ording a kiln from clay-king.com due to pricing.  I'd like to know peoples experiences having kilns delivered.  It makes me very nervous as this will be a major purchase for me and I don't want a huge kiln stranded in my driveway with no way to get it inside.  I really have my eye on the L&L 23s but think I will get the 23t because it breaks up into 3 sections and will be easier to set up.  Thanks for your help! 

Stacey

Hi Stacy: Sheffield will price match Clay King and offers professional inside delivery and set up.

Okay, thanks.  This is all very helpful!  Weather is something of a concern as it rains frequently in Albany.  I did speak to Bailey today and for an extra $100 I could probably (but it sound like I wouldn't know until after I actually ordered it and could speak to the truck driver!!) have it moved into the garage.  I can't help with setting up the kiln much as I am coming out of a long fight with chronic Lyme and get injured very easily. Illness has also destroyed my network close friends, so I perhaps wouldn't have anyone but my husband to help set it up and I guess we would need to hire people.    Sorry, not trying to be a downer here but it's just the situation :) I think realistically I better start with something small  and used that my husband can handle on his own and work with having a manual kiln for a while until I know if my pots are saleable enough to financially support having the kiln of my dreams :)

Since you are 'getting back into clay' i assume there is no rush. If so, check craigs list daily. my last two L&L 23 inch kilns (one with a computer control) went for $500 and $700. Make sure there are photos, and with L&L the serial number is the date of manufacture.

I have purchased two kilns. First an L&L 23 about 25 years ago. It was delivered to the house in separate boxes, each with a section. I unpacked them on the drive, and carried each section one at a time to the garage 50ft away. Kiln assembled-easy.  Later I purchase a used(1yr) Amaco Gold. Loaded it into my van by hand from the loading dock at the JHS that was shutting down. Loaded it from the van onto a handtruck(4wheel) at home. Reassembled and away we went.  Two people is easier/safer, but one healthy individual can do it if need be. With two folks none need be strong, after all, I am all of 5'9" and back then 170. Today I move my kiln around section at a time, and make repairs, replace bottoms etc and only weigh in at 145-150.

Make sure you request a lift gate when you order the kiln. Otherwise they cannot get the kiln off the truck, since you don't have a loading dock and forklift at your house. The driver will unload it from the truck with a pallet jack, and should roll it into your garage. Lift gate service typically includes rolling it into a safe place like the garage. Do not leave it out somewhere it can get wet. When you receive the kiln, make sure to note any damage to the outer packaging on the bill of lading. That way it has been documented if you find any damage once you uncrate it, and can file a claim with the freight carrier.

When I ordered my L&L I just private messaged Neil ,who just posted above, and he took care of everything. I had never met him except from this forum. I would rather a friend on this forum get the sale instead of some company I had to call. I have called him several times with questions. I did the same thing for a friend who wanted a paragon,called Arnold Howard, also on this forum.

J.

I had the same concern as I have a very steep driveway, too steep for a large truck. On delivery of my L&L, the trucker had a small forklift which he used to bring the kiln down the driveway and into the garage. When you order, just confirm this will be done. Make sure you have room for a small car, as that is how big the box was.

Okay, thanks again for all the info!  It's good to hear that lift gate usually includes getting the kiln in the garage.  Pres...my husband and I TOGETHER are 260lbs soaking wet so you might understand how I am concerned!!

In that case, a small 4 wheel hand truck may be needed. Lifting a section at a time should not be a problem, make certain to use the packing material to cushion the ride on the truck, or use a piece of plywood to support the section.  As to strength of sections(some here may berate me for admitting this) I have my 4th section sitting sideways in my studio, laying on the floor. Has been that way except when used in a really large load. I like to make the occasional tall piece. :rolleyes:

Buying from a local supplier that is close by could be helpful, if your only an hour away they may offer a service of setting up your kiln.  I have several kilns and prefer my Skutt that has 3 ring much easier to handle and move.  I can pick up the rings and move them by myself. but like some help since they are awkward to handle.   Denice

It seems the new kilns are drop shipped so it doesn't matter how close the places are to me.  I think my best bet might be to get a used kiln from Northeast ceramics, about 15mins from me.  They charge more than their competitors for new kilns and are cranky to deal with.  I bought my wheel from them when I was in college about a decade ago and it's still the same people and the same attitude like you are putting them out asking what their prices are and what not.  They are so close but I don't like dealing with them (sorry if anyone has connections there but that has just been my limited experience).  Everyplace else I have talked to on the phone has been really nice.

Diane, I agree with you.  It's not a perfect option and why I didn't jump on it to start.  For whatever reason, their used kilns seem more reasonably priced.  At many other places L&Ls are on sale now + have "free" vents with kit purchase and I wonder if this is something I should jump on (although I don't know maybe these sales are normally on all the time ).  A 23s would be 2,100 delivered.  It would take me a year or two to pay of the kiln and I *hope* I would be able to sell a few pots to help offset it. The digital would be great as I have small kids and would have to fire a manual at night in order to give it the proper amount of babysitting. 

L&L has been doing the free vent promotion every Fall for the last few years. Sometimes they extend it beyond the new year. You can get that from any L&L distributor.

One thing to think about: getting another kiln in the future may require additional wiring costs. Unless you get a new kiln later that uses the same amperage, like a kiln of the same size, you'll have to upgrade the wiring and fuse to accommodate it. So your new kiln later may cost even more if you go with a larger one. If you do go that route, make sure your electrician uses conduit that is large enough that it can be used when you upgrade the wiring in the future. It'll save you a lot of money.

The sales tax thing occurred to me in my conversation with Bailey.    I am planning on having them put in 6 gauge copper wire and a 60amp circuit and running extra power out (to the garage studio) for future growth.  I just had an electrician in am still waiting on that estimate.  I have no idea what it should cost (garage about 25 feet from house) so I'm nervous about that.  Thankfully, we already had decent service coming into the house. 

this brings up a whole new subject.  do you see yourself as a business or not?  if you do, there is another path to check.  sometimes it is possible to get a second meter installed for a business.  there are reasons why this might be a good thing to do.  the power company has a person who can help you decide if this is a reasonable option for you. service lines from the house to the garage could cost you a lot. now and reduce the options you will have when you need something installed in the house itself.

having a meter installed by the power company on the garage means that you would only pay for the service line from there to the kiln.  keeping the business costs separate from your house  has tax implications that need investigating and this may be the best time to do it.  yes, the rates for a business are different from the residential rates you now pay. 

many houses have only 200 amp service for the entire building.  if you have a separate 200 amps for the studio, (business) you will be able to add things requiring power in both buildings,  AC and heat in  the garage/studio at some point for example. if you have an older house, you may not even have 200 amps now.

Archived