#21 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Old lady do you mean curling or curving up or do you mean twisting from left to right? If its curving or curling up you might try spraying the tube with Pam because it could be catching more on one side than the other. It could also be that the center die is slightly offset enough to make it feed just a fraction crooked but after an inch or two it becomes quite apparent in it curving. If its twisting from left to right you might try guiding it carefully onto a plastic covered piece of board. You can continue to feed the hollow extrusion just carefully get it to lay down on the wood as you pull. Doing this seems to keep the left to right twisting from happening.

That's all I have learned so far. The problem I had last time was the resealing seemed to not be too perfect on the tube. I am thinking maybe I need to rotate where the bracket sits so it is not near a corner. That's all I can think of that might cause it to be rough around this area. I am a bit concerned with the last batch I pulled that I might have air bubbles where the clay was supposed to reseal. I tried to check and smooth the area out but am second guessing myself now that maybe I should just throw the whole batch into reclaim and do another batch up rather than risking them in the kiln.

Also be careful pulling a really long hollow square tube. Be sure to support it or it might tear off something I found out the hard way when the whole 3 foot thing tore loose and went kerplop on the floor. The hollow shapes, square more than round, seem to be a bit more delicate as they come out of the extruder. OH you might also want to have some scraps of wood ready to slip inside the square tubes to keep them from sagging until they firm up a bit.

As always you can call me if needed and we can compare notes since we have the same machine.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#22 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

thanks, terry  the twists are a problem i will call you about some day next week. the two square vase shapes are sort of leaning drunkenly against each other in an out of the way corner where i cannot see them all the time and feel bad.

been glazing and firing for this weekend.  one more load to fire tomorrow and it will be over for a few days.  have had little time to do anything much with  the extruder but i did get some of the cutting boards from Dollar General.  they cost only $2 and i can cut two dies from each one.  the plastic is much easier to cut than the stuff i started with.  it is also thinner and fits inside the band using bolts instead of the pegs provided by scott creek.  thanks, Denice, for the idea.  i bought enough to make 8 dies.  now to think up some good shapes to cut.

i made a bread tray using the first shape corrected to have the right size drilled hole and it looks good.  made two more and hope to sell them all this weekend. ( there is pie in the sky, isn't there?)  (well, as long as i am dreaming, could someone who LIKES glazing want to share a studio?)

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#23 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

I like glazing but am old enough to not want to share a studio.Good luck with the show.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#24 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

thanks, mark, you are right, sharing a studio      IS    the hardest part of sharing a studio.  it was only a dream, sigh..................

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#25 minspargal

minspargal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPort Aransas, Tx

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

I have been getting my cutting boards from the thrift store and they do make great dies. Never thought of looking for them at the Dollar Store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users