Candling for Glaze Firing

Hi All,

I finished glazing yesterday, and have to fire tomorrow.  Some of the pieces are definitely not dry; the glaze is pretty thick.  I have a vented L&L (2-zone) electric kiln.  I'm thinking of bringing it up to 200 F (at 60 degrees per hour) and holding it there for 4 hours before proceeding with my normal firing schedule.  Sound reasonable? 

(In case it matters, it's mostly glaze tests, and the kiln will be very sparsely loaded.)

Thanks.

1 hour ago, algebraist said:

Hi All,

I finished glazing yesterday, and have to fire tomorrow.  Some of the pieces are definitely not dry; the glaze is pretty thick.  I have a vented L&L (2-zone) electric kiln.  I'm thinking of bringing it up to 200 F (at 60 degrees per hour) and holding it there for 4 hours before proceeding with my normal firing schedule.  Sound reasonable? 

(In case it matters, it's mostly glaze tests, and the kiln will be very sparsely loaded.)

Thanks.

At that speed it will take three hours to get to 200 degrees which for glazes only probably is plenty. An additional hold for four hours seems excessive especially glazes only. For sure ought to be dry

Thanks all! 

They start pretty close to 100 (it's summer, and the thermocouples are not perfectly accurate at low temperature), so it's more like an hour and a half to get to 200 F.  But I hear you, maybe I'll hold it for an hour or two at 200 F just to be safe.  Many thanks.

Have been running full on the night before, just long enough to get over 180F, then off.

Next morning, ready to go full on, first thing, then finish the glaze run earlier in the afternoon than otherwise, as no slow ramp to boiling point, and ahead on temperature as well.

We have time of use rates, so another reason to get done earlier in the day...

I often, especially as I have gotten older, will finish glazing in the afternoon, have the kiln loaded, and start the glaze at 11pm, candling  til 12. then I set all of the switches (3) to 50%, go to bed, and the next morning turn up to high, and fire til ^6. I do not put my peeps closed until morning, as I have an unvented kiln, and do dip wax the bottoms of pots. Honey jars, teapots, casseroles, and other jars I hand clean. I like to pay special attention to the galleries and flanges to make certain things match without too much bare body showing. 

best,

Pres

1 hour ago, Pres said:

I often, especially as I have gotten older, will finish glazing in the afternoon, have the kiln loaded, and start the glaze at 11pm, candling  til 12. then I set all of the switches (3) to 50%, go to bed, and the next morning turn up to high, and fire til ^6. I do not put my peeps closed until morning, as I have an unvented kiln, and do dip wax the bottoms of pots. Honey jars, teapots, casseroles, and other jars I hand clean. I like to pay special attention to the galleries and flanges to make certain things match without too much bare body showing. 

best,

Pres

As Pres, glaze pack then I start kiln late also but get up a few times to check. Natural insomniac . Then do as Pres does bungs i n except one and am there at "off"time to "supervise" the computer:-).

My schedule negates need to candle for glaze firing .

Archived