Rim of bowl is jagged

Skip

Compress the lip as you throw it. Pull up the walls and then compress the lip -repeat this as you for the bowl.

Also leave enough clay on the lip so its thick enough once it streched out .

A better photo will help us reallyas thats all we have to go on.

As to photo size run your photos thru any photo program and pick a small size and then you can post them. 

There are photo posting tips on the top of main page if I recall.

Welcome to the forum 

From the pic you posted it looks like the rim is evenly jagged. I think it looks pretty cool. If you can make a few more that look like that, I'd keep them, fire them and glaze them just for kicks. BUT, you do realize that now that you've been told a few ways to correct the "problem", you will never be able to do it again consciously...B)Recently I had thrown what was to be a yarn bowl but, after it was bone dry, as I was handling it, a chunk broke out of the rim. Rather than toss the bowl, I broke out the rest of the rim so it looked like a low mountain range. I'll Raku fire it and sell it as an art piece down the road. I guess it's a case of learning from our mistakes...

JohnnyK

It looks like the problem might be occurring before pulling up the walls.  It kind of looks like the clay is being folded over as it is first opened.  This would create a layer of slip that prevents the top of the bowl from staying firmly attached to the bottom.  I am probably not explaining this very well.  Be sure to keep the clay together as you open and don't let the clay fold over on itself.

Johnny, that is a great idea. I had to crop the picture,  I just installed a photo resize so now more of the bowl can be seen.  I wish the “problem” circled the whole rim but it does not. I may still fire it with the castle wall motif, but since it does not I may try to trim it to even out the bowl. I am still very new to this, but I absolutely love attempting pottery. 

44214D7B-DFFE-420A-B861-43C3442B1B95.jpeg

Skip, 
compression of the rim after each upward pull is the standard way to prevent the ragged effect.  
However, for future know-how: 
Pay attention to just what you are doing to make this happen as you work on making the "jagged rim" NOT happen.   Later after you have mastered the smooth rim technique so that all rims are always smooth, you will want to deliberately make the "jagged rim" on some of your work as a decorative effect.  

LT 
(someone that has been there, and had to relearn how to make "defects" on purpose). 

LT, While Since I am making ragged rims now I may try to make one tonight to see if I can get it all the way around the bowl. As you said, when I know more I may want this to happen. Right now I am working on smooth lines, thinner bases, and symmetry.

14 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

you will never be able to do it again consciously

I have to laugh...I do this kind of rim all the time, kind of a signature look, and accentuate it even more, like little flames coming up. Skip-I think it is just beautiful, "as is".  Simplified, short clay is when clay lacks plasticity and will crack/tear. There are corrections for it.  Here's a link to a bit of a discussion. 

Archived