Triple beam or digital scale?

Kakes

I am just beginning down the road to mixing my own glazes. To that end I bought a whole bunch of chemicals & now realized I need a scale! Which is better in the ceramics studio, the old triple beam scales or a digital scale? And does price point matter?

This seems like a really basic question & so I did a search but nothing came up - maybe it's too basic :-/

thank you!

I was in the same boat - although I had a triple beam, so I started out using that, and then got a digital scale.

I suspect it's a matter of preference, but I'll never go back to the triple beam - it's not that I doubt the accuracy of the manual balance but the digital scale is SUCH a time saver, it's simply no contest. (Not to mention that the triple beams are much more expensive than digital.) 

I got two different digital scales from amazon, one for very tiny increments for making test batches, and one that can take more weight for mixing up big batches. Love em. I'd say just read reviews to make sure you're getting something good, and go for it. 

digital scale all the way

I used a triple beam (with tare weight )for 35 years never going back-I now have two digital scales(both will tare weight)

They speed up the whole process .Really a time saver.Give up on the triple beams.

I buy two of the same identical plastic tubs to use with them.That way you can do colorants and other materials without washing between.

I prefer the triple beam for the following reasons:

1.  I do no need to make glaze batches that require more than ~3 kilos of any ingredient. which means that I can always get to the necessary amounts in one weighing for each ingredient. 
  2.  The precision of the triple beam is adequate for all the batches I need, even for cobalt (which often needs ~half gram amounts) for 100 gram test batches. 
  3. Triple beams are easy to maintain.  Always works and never needs a fresh battery or an electrical outlet. Both triple beams and digital scales need to sit on a level platform for reliable data output.  
  4. The triple beams are very easy to calibrate, digitals are not, my experience is that those using digitals do not know how to calibrate the scale, and therefore fail to do so.  Calibration of measuring instruments is essential for both glaze making and kiln firing. 

The biggest issue I have observed over the last decade is that most folks do not know how to use a scale that requires the operator to deal with the 'tare' weight of the container of the materials being measured on the scale.  A good digital will have such a button for that, but even the tare feature must also be calibrated at regular intervals. 

Mark, a full time production potter,  handles large quantities of materials on a frequent production cycle.  A hobby or part-time potter handles small quantities on a less frequent schedule.  

Both weighing contraptions are adequate if well maintained.  The final decision is really a personal decision, for your situation.  

LT

I changed to digital when my triple beam started to give me problems,  I called Ohaus about it and they thought my magnets were bad.    From the recommendations on the forum I bought a AWS  Max 3000g/106oz  d:0.1g/0.005oz.   It has a removable gray tray which is great for measuring glaze materials.   For mixing very small glaze tests I got a US Velocity Max150g d=0.01g.   When I mix a larger batch of glaze around 2 gallons I use a  good quality 1 gram kitchen scale that has a large scoop type bowl on it.     Denice

I will add I use my triple beam (with tare adjustment)for super small test batches as its more accurate in small test batches.

I have owned it since the middle 70's

Its true that I'm a production guy who mixes large 10,000 batches every other week.

My 1st digital I bought was an Ohaus the next one was from Amazon

I would not go back to a triple beam myself-even for small batches I would jus buy a small digital.

They both have their good and bad points. For a triple beam, make sure you get one that has a tare poise so you can zero out different size containers. Without it you're stuck using a container that has a counter weight, which is not always the size you want. I really like triple beams for small batches and measuring small amounts, like colorants in small test batches. Once you get used to using one, a triple beam isn't really much slower than a digital. There is a greater chance of user error, though. There's also a limit to how large a container you can tare, and a limit to how large a batch you can weigh, even with counterweights. I have a really old, really big triple beam- it's about 2 feet long- that'll weight out 1000 grams without using weights, but even that isn't ideal for weighing out 5 gallon glaze batches.

Unless you want to spend a lot of money, no one digital scale works for everything. The tend to be made for either small batches or large batches. I have a 55 pound capacity postal scale (My Weigh Ultraship) that works great for weighing out glaze batches for large buckets, because I can do each material all in one shot- I don't have to break large volumes down into smaller portions for weighing. If the batch calls for 5000 grams of frit, I can weigh it all at once instead of five 1000 gram batches. It'll read to 1 gram under 1000 grams, over that it will read to 2 grams, which is plenty accurate for 10,000 gram batches. I cannot use that scale for small test batches, though. It won't do 1/10ths of a gram. For that I do have a little pocket scale that is accurate at small amounts. You can get them on Amazon for under $10. It works very well for most things, but has a little trouble when weighing amounts under 1 gram. So for 100 gram test batches where I need to weigh out 1/4 of a gram, I'll weigh out 1 gram and cut it into 4 parts, or I'll get out my triple beam.

So there's not really a perfect scale. If I had to choose, I would get a digital for large glaze batches and shipping, and get a little pocket digital for small batches. That pair will run you about $50 and cover all the bases.

Fred thank you for the information on the location of the magnets,  I wondered where they were located.   I have my Ohaus boxed up in storage,  I bought it new 40 years ago,  I am not  sure how the magnets could go bad.    I thought it was my fault I am one of those people with to much magnetism in their body,  I have never been able to wear a watch.    If I work with my digital scales too long the numbers will go up or down just by getting my hand close.  I use to do day long test glaze mixing sessions but I have to stick to one or two glazes.   Denice

FRED,

That's cool. I have a OHAUS balance and a pretty old  4 beam Ohaus. On the 4 beam the magnets are on the right end by the pointer,

and the balance there are two, 1 on each end just below the stages.

I don't use the four beam too often, but it look really cool on the table where I do lapidary.

stay safe

graybeard

To all you fine folks-

Thanks to Graybeard’s comment above, I find that I need to edit my post. He is correct when he says the “right-hand” column (or pillar as I stated). Some how got my hands mixed up. Must be the shivering that I’m doing in this cold snap!

Thank you Greybeard. Now off to edit my prior post.

Respectfully apologetic,

Fred

Archived