Are extruded handles as strong as pulled handles?

I've been wondering about the strength of extruded handles, as opposed to those that are pulled or cut from a slab. I built a 4"x4" extruder a couple of years ago, and I'm finally getting around to cutting some dies from some old plastic I have laying around. The reason for my progress is that I suck at pulling handles. Also, I like the profiles I can create by making my own dies. I'm thinking that extruding  the clay also compresses it, and if the clay is well wedged and bubble-free, the extrusions should be  strong enough for a mug handle; I mean we're talking about supporting a small vessel of coffee, or hopefully, BEER, not a VW  micro bus.  A cool thing about extruding is: even if you prefer to "pull" a handle, you can start off with an extruded  coil of any diameter, instead of having to  make your starting coil by rolling out  piece. That whole rolling out thing has always looked like a way  to get creases and lines and other weak places in the handle, to me.  The extruder has become my parade. Rain welcome, along with other comments.    ja

Like you said, they're supporting a cup of liquid, not a lot of room for strength there.  I'd say focus your efforts on attaching your preferred handle well.

Now if you drop a mug, that's another story, I've noticed that handles cut from a slab shatter and pulled handles break off in a single piece at the junctions.  But again, I hope this isn't something keeping potters up at night, it's a mug.

I wish I had some useful info to add but I really like the question, because I'm trying to justify buying myself a $100 extruder for just the reasons you mentioned. I've watched the CAN videos about modifying cut slab strips into handles but these feel weak to me despite their efforts to counteract it. I keep breaking my $10 play doh fun factory forcing handles through it, but even being the cheap thing it is, it certainly compresses the clay more than I can get out of a slab.

Maybe some clay guru would care to do a scientific test of extruded vs pulled handles?  Perhaps just a hammer comparison?  I don't have the handles to spare but I'll bet someone does. 

I wouldn't think there is any difference in a handle being extruded or pulled. The difference in strength would be due to the design of the handle. Extruded handles are usually the same size throughout so I would assume that would make it stronger than a pulled handle which usually gets thinner at some point. However, the real question you should be asking if you're concerned about the strength of a handle is the attachments. I don't think a handle is going to all of the sudden break in the middle unless it's dropped, and then, either way, it isn't going to matter much.

On the other topic of pulled vs extruded. I have done both, extruded handles and pulled them off the cup after attaching. I have also just pulled the handles from a lump of clay. I don't think any method is superior it just depends on the amount of production you want to do and the design of the handles you want to make. If I was making tons of mugs every day, then I would definitely extrude them and probably pull the handle off the cup after I attached the extruded handle, it is probably the fastest way to make a handle that tapers in design.

I cut mine aluminum dies myself long ago. I pulled some clay handles (different sizes) and cut them across to get the profile-Marked that on each 4 inch round blank aluminum disc.

Drilled a hole on handle die cutout and used my jewelers saw to cut the profile/ Then jewelers files and emory cloth to smooth out shapes. I have 4 size handles. for 7 sizes of mugs.

What makes a handle stronger is compression whether you extrude or pull its the compression-same as throwing and compressing to get rid of S cracks. Compression is your friend with clay.

I think people choose to use various handle making techniques based on personal preference, not necessarily because one is intrinsically better than the other. The people I know that feel strongly about pulling handles make the time to pull them, and those that deeply despise pulling handles find lots of other creative ways of making them. Extruding, handbuilding and pulling all have methods of making sure the clay is compressed, and as you said, it's supporting a beverage, not a car. 

Good joins are definitely the place to pay the most attention to if you're thinking about increasing handle strength. 

I have over the years made handles that are hand built of coils, or slabs, pulled handles, and lately extruded handles. All of you know from my earlier posts that extruding handles is not really a preference of mine, but a need due to the condition of my thumb. My dies for extruded handles have started with some pictures of commercial handle dies for size reference. These I move in to Corel Draw, and alter/redesign or start new. Then I print them out and glue them onto plastic die blanks that I cut using a hole saw. Then I use a drill bit to cut main features, to to a zip blade in my dremel, and then a grinding bit and sanding bits to finish. Lengthy process, but works. 

I really don't know how strong compared to other types of handles these are, but know that they are consistent in thickness, seem to come out smoothly, and are easy to work with. I am particularly careful about joins, and do back fill the bottom joins. I have always added a thumb rest, and two smaller balls on either side that I blend into the handle grooves, for aesthetic reasons, but they do add further join strength. The commercial dies are interesting, but even the ones close to mine I have thickened in areas I believe they are too weak in, but now use the dies I have designed myself as they meet my aesthetic needs specifically.

best,

Pres

Archived