advice on plaster molds that won't release, please

I did my first foray into pouring plaster into rigid forms to make hump molds yesterday.   I use 4 small dishes from the junque store that were shapes we wanted to use.  Two were sloped sided,  two were rather straight sided. None of them had undercuts or ridges on the sides that would prevent the set up plaster from coming out later.   I used mineral oil, brushed on to all 4.  Today, the two slanted sided ones came out with a bit of upside down tapping.  The straight sided ones WILL NOT RELEASE!   What now?  The forms  that came out are cool to the touch, still feel damp, but solid.   I used the formula that Gypsum plaster provided, and followed all mixing , pouring instructions.

@clay lover, I just made my journey into plaster mold making as well.  I was taught to use Murphy's oil soap, but I am certain the mineral oil would be fine also!  We had a little trouble with some of the dishes releasing.  Once they were cooled, I just took a hammer to it and tap tap tapped and they released.  Only one dish broke and that was ok.  It also, was from a thrift store!  I hope yours release!

Roberta

I'm going to wait a day or 2 and see if anything changes.  The mineral oil suggestion came from a book called "Mold Making and skip casting",.   I thought about drilling a small screw into it for pulling force.  .  I'm not in a hurry and would rather not break the forms until all else fails, so we'll see. 

Why don't you make a replica piece out of clay and that way you don't have to fight with the plastic form.  Was your plaster mold totally dry?  If it wasn't you may have to wait awhile.   If it is humid and my mold is drying slowly  I will put it in  a 175 degree oven any hotter will damage the plaster.  I don't know what temperature your plastic platter will withstand.  Denice

VICTORY!  as Marcia suggested, I heated them, by putting them in a skillet with boiling water around them, until the plaster was hot.  After removing them from the water bath, they would not budge, so I figure I would start this morning on trying to chip the plaster out and start over.  I had drilled holes and set screws nto the plaster earlier,  trying to pull the form out, unsucessfully.  this morning, I pulled on the screws in the now cooled plater and both of them released.!!  thanks for all the suggestions.  Now to pour more , with better release agent

Steven, yes, they were fine.  Chilly, it was just poured into some junque store cassarol dishes that had pretty straight sides, thus making getting them out tricker.  Nothing special.

I think I will now try adding 2nd layer to increase depth of hump mold options.  Book says, make some deep scratches in the plaster first, them add fresh pour on top of it. we will see.  I WILL use  better release agent this time!;)

Archived