Creative Industries Pottery Wheels

I believe you may find as Neil says that many of the parts are standard. If I remember correctly, the HP and MP wheel that I had at the HS used auto V belts. The HP wheel was built quite well, as was the MP even if under powered for me. Not much should wear out on them.

best,

Pres

I would think twice on zero support on old wheel.

I have one of their wheels that is only the table-it has no parts on it only a rectangle table.Sits next to my Brent and holds my bats and clay when throwing. Solid table.

Edited by Mark C.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Connie,

Hope all is well in this social distancing timess..

I was wondering if you were able to find a solution or have someone fix the pedal issue; I am experiencing the same problem and starting to wonder if I should just invest in a new wheel....

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Rgards,

F.

On 3/26/2019 at 5:41 PM, Connie Rae said:

Does anyone know how to fix a pedal in an HP model?  I push the pedal almost the whole way down to get the wheel to start - then it goes too fast.  Any ideas?

Sounds like a dead spot in the potentiometer.. post a picture of the inside of the pedal circuit board and we might have some doable ideas.

• 1 month later...

I have a very old Creative Industries Model JR. I am experiencing the latency in start up and slow down and the wheel struggles with over 20# of clay. So I have two questions:   Is this problem the nature of the wheel or can it be fixed?  What is the HP for the KR. 

Also, I have an extra splash pan for the JR - willing to supply to anyone in need. 

Edited by Jo Reid
forgot to add HP question

@Jo Reid Most likely the problem is that the JR just can't handle centering 20 pounds of clay. If it's running fine with smaller amounts of clay, that's the problem. Usually if there's an issue with a wheel it will appear regardless of the amount of clay. The horsepower should be listed on the serial plate of the motor.

2 hours ago, neilestrick said:

@Jo Reid Most likely the problem is that the JR just can't handle centering 20 pounds of clay. If it's running fine with smaller amounts of clay, that's the problem. Usually if there's an issue with a wheel it will appear regardless of the amount of clay. The horsepower should be listed on the serial plate of the motor.

Thanks for answering the questions regarding the max amount of clay.  The wheel runs pretty good with other  amounts of clay.

So, I turned the wheel over and can see the motor, the only characters on the motor are the number 122.  It may have been a replacement motor. Can you decipher what 122 might mean?

Ans -  this wheel only truns  clock-wise.  Is that normal for this wheel?

Thanks  so much for your help - I've spent hours trying to find that answer on the web.

Also check that the belt isn't slipping. Typically wheels in the US and Europe that only go one way run counter clockwise. Does it have a reversable plug somewhere on the control box, or a reversing switch on the motor? No clue on the 122. I wouldn't necessarily go spending a lot of money on that wheel though. You can't get parts for them any more.

Check Claybabe's post on page two, the .pdf is still available.

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/37-anyone-have-a-really-old-creative-industries-model-mp-wheel/page/2/

...looks like JohnnyK posted the same manual on page three!

Per said manual, CI wheels have a reversing plug; the Jr model is .25 hp, "...can center 25 pounds of clay..." 

Centering capacity and hp ratings - not an exact science. If your JR model is still running well, give it a break and stick to small pots?

CI excerpt.JPG

Great wheels in their day, I had an HP and an MP in the HS. They are still there running well. The HP was my favorite. Splash pans.. . . I tried to find replacements, but never could. I guess best bet is to make one out of a plastic bin. Still the large table was a plus, and tools were easily organized as there was lots of space.

If I remember correctly there were two or 3 adjustment areas in the control box on the wheel itself, it allowed you to set speed, at pedal up and down, torque to some degree, and pedal graduation. Not certain, but seems right.

best,

Pres

• 4 weeks later...

I have acquired an older Creative Industries electric wheel, Model YR, from a school that closed down.
I appreciate the information about switching the direction by reversing the power plug, that worked nicely. 

My next need is to discover where to oil a squeaking wheel?

Thank you,

V.S.

Hi VS!

Grease may be more appropriate?

:|

Ahem, well, finding the source - could be a bearing, loose pulley, squeaky belt, something rubbing in the motor - might be a good first step. Does the wheel squeak the same when running in the other direction? If not, try looking at the motor brushes. Try crawling about, that is, listening from all possible angles, to pinpoint the source. If you have a few miles on your ears, try enlisting a young person (with undamaged hearing).

Lubrication may not be the solution; could be adjustment, replacing a part, etc. is required.

"Squeaky wheel gets the grease" Heh.

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 8:25 AM, Teala62 said:

Do I understand correctly that all creative industries wheels are no longer supported at all--meaning that parts (belts etc. ) for them cannot be found?  Would this mean you would have a wheel you could no longer repair or make work at optimal speeds?

Have you found anything about replacement parts? Please let me know! I have the same wheel. Either will get a pedal for it (very unlikely) or will gladly sell for a very low price for parts.

Best,

Gosia

Edited by Gosia

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Laura Loo said:

@Jo Reid Do you still have an extra JR splash pan that you could part with? I’m looking for one :) Have you had more luck getting yours to work? Thanks in advance! 

@Laura Loo, JoReid hasn't been logged on the forum since May, you could try send them a PM (it will show up in their email), more likely to see that. Click on their name then the little envelope when their page comes up and follow the prompts.

Welcome to the forum!

• 11 months later...

I have a old HP, CI wheel, pedal & speed control when bad a few years back. I call speedball direct they connected me to an engineer that works for them that worked for CI. Engineer told me to buy the controller & pedal for the speedball Big Boss wheel follow the directions on how to install it! I did & my HP Creative Industries wheel has worked great ever since.

The Skutt I'm using is fitted with a Minarik drive board. The hefty cast foot pedal has a simple component in there that does the speed control.
Likely the same board, else, if the CI HP has a bigger motor, one of Minarik's other boards could work. I have the spec sheet - shout if you want to know how to find it.

Whilst the various wheels are quite similar, I wouldn't agree that the motors are interchangeable - the half horse on my wheel, that's a continuous rating, not a "peak" rating.

Edited by Hulk

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm starting a pottery class this month and am interested in purchasing a wheel. I have an opportunity to purchase a Creative Industries Model MP but was wondering what's an appropriate price/going rate for a working one these days? Mind you, I haven't seen it yet and am not particularly experienced in what a well working wheel sounds like but was told it works well. 

Edited by Sccf12345678