NEW SKUTT WHEEL

Hello,

As you may have observed, I have been looking at used wheels and trying to find one I could buy for quite some time.  I have decided to buy a Skutt wheel.  They have been very helpful to talk to in making this decision. I was put off a bit when someone here had  difficulty with the loud sound of his new skutt, but I think he has resolved that.  I'm not sure.  I have not seen him post whether or not the new motor they were sending resolved his issue, but Rex got one after two months of waiting and his is fine.   So it has made me decide to forget searching for wheels that are old and nearly the cost of the new ones.

Here's my question:  I was all set to get the non-removable splash pan, but two different people suggested they are difficult to clean and "sponge out".  The sales person has both in stock and it's less expensive to get the removable splash pan so there is no motivation there to suggest I buy that one.  

What are your opinions about these splash pans?   Is having the built in pan truly more time intensive to clean?  Is it easier to just take the big (I would imagine somewhat cumbersome) splash pan to a slip garbage can? 

I am 66 and do have issues with my back.  I would not want to buy the removable pan if it is going to be heavy and awkward to move--which is why I originally was going to get the classic. 

And while they have them both in stock, they do not have one for me to touch/ play with because they use mostly the Shimpos in their studio/class area  and sell more Shimpos than anything else.  In fact, they suggested I consider the Shimpos.

In my humble opinion, the removable splash pan is the only way to go if you are the type of person who like a relatively clean workspace... some of the wheels I have seen look like they are never cleaned regardless of the type of pan. It's your choice. The removable pans aren't that heavy and shouldn't be too difficult to remove and clean. Just get the big chunks out before you take it apart!

JohnnyK

Cleaning the non-removable pan is no trouble at all. I've got 4 of those wheels, and many of my students prefer them. I've used one as my personal wheel for 16 years. There's really nothing to it. The other benefit of the non-removable pan is that it is a much heavier wheel, and you can brace against the sides and edges of the pan without it moving. The removable pan does not lock in, it just sits there.

Oh, it doesn't lock somehow under the wheel head?  The Brents I use at the college have like a little lip that you slide the each half of the pan under? But now that I say that, it makes sense that the one piece splash pan on the Skutt probably has no way to lock under anything to hold it in place and that would be a huge difference.  On the Brents,  I do brace against the splash pan and if the Skutt is moveable it would be awful.  Thanks again!!

9 hours ago, Teala62 said:

Oh, it doesn't lock somehow under the wheel head?  The Brents I use at the college have like a little lip that you slide the each half of the pan under? But now that I say that, it makes sense that the one piece splash pan on the Skutt probably has no way to lock under anything to hold it in place and that would be a huge difference.  On the Brents,  I do brace against the splash pan and if the Skutt is moveable it would be awful.  Thanks again!!

They sit down over the raised section of the base around the shaft. The pan can't slide off or anything like that, but it's not locked down, doesn't fit under a lip.

3 hours ago, neilestrick said:

They sit down over the raised section of the base around the shaft. The pan can't slide off or anything like that, but it's not locked down, doesn't fit under a lip.

Which in some ways is good. Very easy to remove when you pull the wheel head off.

No wrestling with  a wedged in pan like a Brent.

1 hour ago, Teala62 said:

So Neil, just to clarify, do you think the built in splash pan is difficult to clean and deal with?  I did not get that impression.

The built in pan is no more difficult to clean than the removable, and it's more solid. Plus, for a home wheel, you don't need to polish it up after every use like you do in a community studio. Scoop it out, give it a quick wipe, and make some more pots.

I'm liking the Skutt built in pan just fine. Although the removable pans (I've only used Brents, at the local JC) allow carry and dump, there are many nooks and crannies, leakage, etc. - I find it takes longer clean it up squeaky. The built in is smooth and easy to clean. At home my reclaim container is right next to the wheel anyway, scoop, dump, done. I use a large sponge that's cut to push through the sides below the wheel head. If choosing, I'd go with the built-in.

The Skutt pan is heavy cast metal (aluminum, methinks); it's not moving anywhere. It occurred to me t'other day that catching one's hand/arm between the rotating wheel head and the pan - on the left side for counterclockwise throwers - could be very bad indeed! I wouldn't provide a fixed pan wheel for students. Don't create a scenario where a combination of things + body parts are anywhere near the pinch point, just sayin'

Thank you, I believe that is what I am going to do.  Someone called me about a wheel for sale locally, but I think it is one of those old 2 speed amacos with the built in aluminum tray/dish.  He wants 400$ and he has it mounted on some type of cart with wheels.  I haven't seen it, but I do not think I would like to use it with only two speeds. Additionally, I think $400 for that machine, if he ever sends me the pictures,  is just too much.  

• 2 weeks later...

Skutt has sweet foot pedal, very sensitive, that's the main reason I chose it.  I have the removable 1 piece smooth molded pan.  It is solid enough to brace my knees on, easy to take off , deep enough to catch most trimmings, with a raised guard added it catches everything.  I lift it off and tip it into my pug mill, very light weight and smooth inside to clean.   I am 67 and have no trouble handling it.

I got the regular pedal ,have not tried the ssx.  I can't imagine how you could spill every where, my throwing water bucket sits inside the splash pan so it is close.  Something to consider, that I did not realize when I got the wheel, it is larger, longer than other brands by 1 1/2", 

from center of wheel to edge of pan where you sit, so there is more reach to do small works at the center of the wheel.  I have long body, short arms and I is not ideal for me.  When I realized the difference in that measurement over the Brent or Baily, the others I was considering, I was so happy with the pan and the pedal I just deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2018 at 7:40 AM, Teala62 said:

I am 66 and do have issues with my back.  I would not want to buy the removable pan if it is going to be heavy and awkward to move...

I'm 67 with a bad back and bad everything else that has to do with joints.

I got the Legend with the removable pan for that one reason. I can't stand bending over for cleaning anything comfortably.

The Brent and Pacifica style pans were O.K>, but really a hassle with the two-piece design.

This Skutt is just so much easier (and larger) to remove with the easy-off wheel head. twist the head off, take the pan to to slop barrel and wash basin.

I really like that I can put my (smaller) water bucket right in the pan.

Archived